electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Freeform Lunetta Sculptures
Page 2 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nathanxl wrote:
Thanks JJ
At the moment these modules are used to drive the plectrum motors for the 8string Lunetta Guitar. As they are they only sequence gates for motors and are not used to produce sounds themselves. Next step is to build sound modules that are controlled by the same 8Bit Cipher Gate Sequencer. Will put up sounds here when that eventuates.

Completely coincidentally I came accross a video of your device on youtube in the associated videos on a synth video Smile
Looks really unique and interesting Very Happy sound isn't bad either, but it seemed a bit quiet because of the lack of a sounding chamber, perhaps you plan to remedy this?

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
droffset

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So cool, you're building some great stuff! Smile

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
nathanxl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thankyou all so much for the kind words of support.
Being locked away in my workshop without anyone else around to see these things, its great that I am able to find other people interested in the same things as me.
Firstly JingleJoes query about the quietness of the string resonance. There are multiple reasons for this, some will be rectified. I basically designed the Lunetta Guitar to be electric rather than acoustic although it would be easy to affix a resonant chambers under the bridges. The Magnetic pickups I made are not as sensitive as I would have liked but there are ways around this. As the strings are bass strings they require more plectrum power so am thinking of switching over to more powerful servo motors and converting the gate into a powerful trigger.
I did a live performance with this instrument last week and it went well but it would have been better if I got more movement out of the strings, thus a hotter signal into the effects pedals. A few of the other things I realized while performing with it was that the super bright LEDs were SUPER bright and it would be nice to have actual Lunetta synth sounds directly related to the string sequencing to play around with on the fly.
So I have made this module to remedy some of the current issues, many more will follow of coarse. As this is a freeform sculpture thread I wont clutter and make this post any longer by explaining its function but for those interested the info is written in the youtube page:
http://youtu.be/ZBLqT6yaUrQ

Lunetta Guitar Module LFO LDRO1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.45 MB
 Viewed:  587 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Lunetta Guitar Module LFO LDRO1.JPG

Lunetta Guitar Module LFO LDRO2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.51 MB
 Viewed:  595 Time(s)

Lunetta Guitar Module LFO LDRO2.JPG

Lunetta Guitar Module LFO LDRO3.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.55 MB
 Viewed:  584 Time(s)

Lunetta Guitar Module LFO LDRO3.JPG

Lunetta Guitar Module LFO LDRO4.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.18 MB
 Viewed:  566 Time(s)

Lunetta Guitar Module LFO LDRO4.JPG

Lunetta Guitar Module LFO LDRO5.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Viewed:  541 Time(s)

Lunetta Guitar Module LFO LDRO5.JPG

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks and sounds great Razz
love the little lenses!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That both looks and sounds fucking brilliant Very Happy
Excellent work! The LDR control you implemented works very well Smile

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow, those are wonderful little works of art! Interesting that you didn't isolate the LDRs from ambient light, as is common to do. Yet they seem to work fine... perhaps those lovely lenses help.

James.
loydb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some amazing stuff in this thread! I love the copper 'piping' you're doing.
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/post-308797.html#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-42968.html
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I thought I'd share this here, even though it is not exactly a Lunetta, as it could become one, and shows some similar construction ideas.
I started it one night on a whim. Why? Not sure. I work on it at night when I need some time out from other things. So it's nowhere near finished yet. Maybe people will appreciate seeing the process. Besides that, I have no idea when it would be finished. And I was photographing another thing anyway.

At this stage I plan on making it a kind of electronic satyr. It's definitely more of a sculpture than a lunetta, so I do take liberties with the construction ethos. (to me, pure air wired electronics should only be held together with solder) I'm allowing super-glue (cynoacrylate), contact glue, and I've even started "sewing" parts together with 32 gauge wire!
This is so I can incorporate more aesthetic features, which are important in representing the right structure. Components, and solder are, however, my preffered M.O.

I'll leave more detailed descriptions until anyone asks detailed questions, which are welcome. Smile

Picture 020.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  740.3 KB
 Viewed:  468 Time(s)

Picture 020.jpg

Picture 017.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  879.23 KB
 Viewed:  461 Time(s)

Picture 017.jpg

nathanxl

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great. What is its current function? Springs are such useful things! Is that a piezo in the spring between the battery and switches?
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The creator hasn't bestowed a function on this little critter yet. Laughing
It will have CMOS driven eye and heart LEDs, and then I think I'll incorporate a sound of some kind, seeing as how this a Lunetta thread. But it doesn't have a piezo at this stage.

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For a second I thought that was a miniature spring-reverb robot Laughing

nathanxl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:
For a second I thought that was a miniature spring-reverb robot Laughing

What a great idea!
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The brown section is a piece of stripboard which has +V and Gnd connections on it. Structurally, it will hold the shoulder points, which will transfer through smaller stripboards for limb joints,.........I think.
I want the larger components which make up the limbs to be functional, but stripboard can easily get weak, when the copper pads lift off the substrata. This needs to be a bit stronger than that, but I am goin to traverse these components with solid copper to make the circuit. May be that would be strong enough? Any ideas?
The disc at the base is a battery holder, designed for a 2032, but I put in 2* 2016s. You do know that the last two digits tell you the thickness in mm?
This will give me 6V to play with on the CMOS chips. Good for driving the LEDs, and I think I could drive a small piezo from the CMOS directly as well.
Is this sound thinking?

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Should I ask Jan to shift all of my stuff to a different thread? I don't want to hijack anything.
nathanxl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It distinctly is Lunetta freeforming in a sculptural sense you are doing so I think it should stay here.
Solid copper is the way to go I think... At themoment Im looking for a cheap source for 3-4mm brass rod.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I get all of that kind of stuff from HobbyCo in Sydney. I'm sure you'd have a similar hobby supplier nearby. They are also great for thin ply and other supplies if you're into this kind of stuff.
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you want to make a stronger connection to stripboard put the component through the hole as normal, then feed the lead back through the hole next to it on the same row, and wrap it around the bit of component wire poking out on the component side of the board, solder liberally.
This is how I made test points and power connections on older boards I made Smile

RF

Audio files: 28

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nat and Krunk - I LOVE this stuff. I've thought of doing it many times, but didn't get to it. The "just what it is" hanging all out there is great!

More!

bruce

"I want to make these sounds that go wooo-wooo-ah-woo-woo.”
(Herb Deutsch to Bob Moog ~1963)
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey dudicles!
Guess what I found today when I went looking for parts for the "goatman".
These are all NOS from an old guy who used to work TTL and CMOS boards from the 70s. He probably kept them, unused, because his own work was way beyond tagstrips.
These things are what the original TV sets had all through the guts of them. One of my worst snaps from the 240VAC viper was playing with this sort of stuff!! Laughing
Anyway,... I digress.

P6080094.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  767.83 KB
 Viewed:  338 Time(s)

P6080094.JPG

Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course, what I was trying to say was that this stuff is beautiful for air wired sculptures. Structural integrity, with multiple isolated tags, which, on mine, are all pre-tinned! Cool Laughing
You just match up pairs (they can easily be reversed) to build symetrical systems.

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got a long one of them from an old valve radio, festooned with components, it looks like a spine with electronic-component ribs Wink

nathanxl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very handy indeed.
Uncle Krunkus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's the goatman at this stage.
I've added jaws/teeth, femur/hip joints, and testicles. Shocked

I mean,.. c'mon, if it's a satyr, then it should have an impressive set of nuts. Only makes sense. Cool

P6090121.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  715.75 KB
 Viewed:  322 Time(s)

P6090121.JPG

Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Uncle Krunkus wrote:

I mean,.. c'mon, if it's a satyr, then it should have an impressive set of nuts. Only makes sense. Cool

Laughing Laughing Laughing !

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hahahaha wonderful, I've got to get in on this, brb.

Page 2 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: