electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
BOSS SP-202 Sampler Circuit bend
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mINdprINt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject:  BOSS SP-202 Sampler Circuit bend
Subject description: BOSS SP-202 Sampler Circuit bending advice needed
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

I have bent and modified a few instruments before. I have recently acquired a BOSS SP-202 sampler and have been having no luck yet with circuit bending it. Has anyone here tired and succeeded in bending this unit?
Mikmo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If this device is using some kind of DSP chip, which many modern effects and samplers does then bending it is very difficult (read almost impossible), and potentially dangerous for the device.

The problem is that a DSP chip is basically a small microprocessor running embedded software, which makes messing with it almost impossible.

gmeredith

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It still should have separate RAM chips in it, though, which means you should be able to do some good sample-grinding bends to it. Open it up and see if you can find any separate chips in it, write their numbers down and do a google search. It should lead you to links describing it. In a machine such as the sp202, you are looking for online RAM descriptions such as SRAM , NVSRAM etc. Any of those appearing in the search result will confirm the RAM chip.

Cheers, Graham
Mikmo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Graham is perfectly right about the RAM chips, just be very carefull about which pinns on the RAM chips you mess with. Stay away from the power pinns, and don't apply power to the other pinns. But otherwise you could possibly get som cool stuff.

I heard of at least two different people who circuit bend old portable CD players, by messing with the RAM chips used for the anti shock read ahead function. The sounded delightfully awfull Smile

larrytopsoil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: wouldn't recommend it
Subject description: .
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I had an sp202 and attempted to bend it after glitching out a few old casio keyboards and such. Now the sp is on a shelf in my studio in pieces. A friend of mine who is a genius with electronics soldered in a new capacitor I burned out but it still will not work right. I did something to the main chip that will not allow it to play back sound. It appears to record and work as normal but no sound at all. I'd say leave it be, or if you do bend, don't touch the main chips. Mines destroyed. 100$ in the trash.
jksuperstar

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 18

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It will be difficult to do this safely. More recent chips use lower power, due to lower voltages, etc. They are sensitive to the voltage applied.

You may have much more success keeping the SP-202 internals as-is, but merge it with some other bent devices. So you can add repeat, reverse, resampling, and patterns to what might otherwise be a non-repeatable pattern generator or noise maker (half the joy, but in many cases also half as useful).

Or, do something creative with the triggering mechanism, to use audio to retrigger other samples, etc.
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: