electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Another lunetta psu thread
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
regularjackson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Another lunetta psu thread Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a thread that really helped me. Basically I'm building a lunetta system right now and I really don't want to use batteries. Just looking for a basic way to plug this in to the wall if anyone can help me out. Thanks.
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

here is a quick schematic i drew up.

as stated in the schematic, the 78xx is a voltage regulator IC. The xx designates the desired output voltage, 7812 being a 12v regulator.
You will want to have a few volts higher of an input to the regulator so it can perform its regulating magic.

On each CMOS chip you should have a 100nF decoupling cap between the +v and gnd pins; as close as possible to those pins.

The diode is there to avoid negative voltage being applied to the circuit.
regularjackson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey thanks, one question, what is JP1?
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh sorry, underneath Jp1 it says +V, but its not that clear.

Jp1 is the regulated voltage output.
regularjackson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh yeah, duh. I didn't sleep enough last night. Thanks!
regularjackson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

one other question I have pertaining to this is how to hook up a dc power jack for the wall wart? I don't know which terminals to hook up on the jack to what. I've searched around but I haven't been able to figure it out. Thanks.
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

usually on the wall wart it will specify if the inside is positive or negative with a little graphic... like so...

but failing that it isn't marked, you can just hook it up to a multimeter to figure out which is positive.

...like so...

attdestroyers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used this same exact setup using the 7805 for my lunetta. But, I figured the decoupling caps weren't necessary on each module since this regulated power supply is decoupled already. Bad idea? My lunetta runs great with this. Think I'll have problems in the future?

I was also unsure what amperage my power supply should be. I used a 2A wall wart. Seems to work good.
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well in my video synth, for example, i didn't decouple at first.. when i had everything assembled together and was testing things everything was very noisey, with very visible distortions, lines and noise on the picture... i was scratching my head for a bit. someone suggested i decouple EVERY chip and i thought 'that cant make that much of a difference...' boy was i wrong. it cleaned everything up perfectly. the image was so crisp and clean!

another example is on my drum machine... again i didnt decouple and i got tons of bleed into the drum voices from the cymbal voices... decoupled all the chips and it was gone.

DECOUPLE ALL THE THINGS
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice clear images and explanation on the psu. Looks like something you'd see in a really good book!

Yeah, I've been putting the caps on the chips for some time now. So you need them on the - pin as well? I have seen this done sometimes but haven't bothered Confused
attdestroyers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, will do. It'll be interesting to hear how much difference it makes[/quote]
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: