electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
infrared emmitters/dectors for lunetta
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
stolenfat

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:47 pm    Post subject: infrared emmitters/dectors for lunetta Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just curious, i've seen radio shack selling these led emitters, would they have any application in a lunetta?
made me think of an across the room lunetta battle.
Ideas? Might be a great way to transport highs and lows.

concretedog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

interesting thought..I don't know enough about IR to really comment but I've seen IR sync used in synthdiy (although not lunnetta) after trawling my mind and the net I remembered were I'd seen it.

http://www.analoguehaven.com/andromedaspacerockers/
rich decibels

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

long distance vactrol?
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks concretedog, that looks really cool.
noise
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's something related to concrete's link;

http://bleeplabs.com/nebulophone/

Note the schematic which shows where/how the IR is connected. Granted, it's not connected to a lunetta per se, but heck - it's a start Laughing !

nathanxl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey.
Bumping this as I have been recently thinking about implementing IR linking small lunetta modules.
Following Concretedogs link there is a schema for the IR Link circuit:
http://ericarcher.net/devices/ir-net/

Just wondering if anyone took this on and if they have anything to report back?
Also for those of you suitably skilled how would a noob like me easily change the recieved Phototransistor signals into triggers and gates that our lunettas could use?
Would the front end of this circuit do the job?

I have the IRLEDs and Phototransistors on order now!
Captain_Clams

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not really sure why that ciruit is using a phototransistor to gate another (regular) transistor... I was thinking it had to do with the current output of the phototransistor, but it goes right to an op amp anyway. Thoughts? It seems to me just as effective to use the phototransistor without the second transistor.

However, taking for granted that the front end of that circuit works (it probably does), then yes, it could take in light flashes and your lunetta could use them as highs and lows. But you may still want to hear that from the more experienced fellas around this forum. Wink
nathanxl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Also Andrewf found this which doesnt use another transistor:

http://urekarm.tripod.com/synth/maebd.pdf

Great to see this attempted with lunettas.
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Captain_Clams wrote:
Thoughts? It seems to me just as effective to use the phototransistor without the second transistor.

It's a standard darlington pair arrangement for increasing the gain, suggests to me that the phototransistor simply didn't "turn on" enough.

MY ideas on this: some kind of shift register based sequencer or some circuit which uses a stream of bits which could be sent from the IR emitter, then interrupt it with your hand or your body or whatever to change the pattern.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
nathanxl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:

MY ideas on this: some kind of shift register based sequencer or some circuit which uses a stream of bits which could be sent from the IR emitter, then interrupt it with your hand or your body or whatever to change the pattern.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing with a 4015 shift register...
Im waiting on parts so if you get it done please share here....

Wow, our minds are on the same wavelength JJ.
Captain_Clams

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just an early morning thought: You know those plastic crystals that people hang from their RV mirrors in cars? Maybe that was more in the 90's, but something like this:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

So what if you had one of those hanging in the path of your data stream? What if there were several transmitter/receiver pairs? Then someone goes to move the device and it starts making even crazier sounds. That would be interesting.
nathanxl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh wow...
I was just considering mirrors but crystals add a whole new age slant onto it. We have to try this...
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That crystal would probably make for an interesting looking contraption but I think it would be experimental at best, it's likely to split up the light into different wavelengths aswell as different paths, like a prism, so while interesting it may be too difficult to use with any degree of accuraccy. However we're in the lunetta forum; where we like lunatic liaisons of lasers and light-receptors, linking a long line of lavish lyrics with 1s and 0s, loosely and with little level of lineararity.
nathanxl wrote:
JingleJoe wrote:

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing with a 4015 shift register...
Im waiting on parts so if you get it done please share here....

Wow, our minds are on the same wavelength JJ.

Carry on the good work old sport, I have too much on my plate right now to explore these ideas so I look forwards to seeing what you come up with Smile

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Captain_Clams

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe, might I muse a moment on your marverlous alliteration?

Quote:
too difficult to use with any degree of accuraccy

Certainly! Very Happy Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 [14 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: