electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Freeform Lunetta Sculptures
Page 4 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
nathanxl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Mosc, Inventor and Captain Clams. This forum inspires me daily...
Here is the latest module for the Lunetta Guitar. Most complicated one yet. Took me a few days to complete.
Its a Dual VCO with SwitchGated Hi/Lo caps. It fired up and worked perfectly first run!
Will post up a vid here when I get around to it.

Lunetta Guitar Module 2xVCO+gated Caps.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.09 MB
 Viewed:  996 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Lunetta Guitar Module 2xVCO+gated Caps.JPG

Lunetta Guitar Module 2xVCO+gated Caps02.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Viewed:  807 Time(s)

Lunetta Guitar Module 2xVCO+gated Caps02.JPG

Lunetta Guitar Module 2xVCO+gated Caps03.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.04 MB
 Viewed:  804 Time(s)

Lunetta Guitar Module 2xVCO+gated Caps03.JPG

Lunetta Guitar Module 2xVCO+gated Caps05.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.25 MB
 Viewed:  760 Time(s)

Lunetta Guitar Module 2xVCO+gated Caps05.JPG

dougseidel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

that is absolutely beautiful
Captain_Clams

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And not a single short circuit? I honestly don't know how the hell you do it. Exclamation

This is making me want to attempt some spacewiring... But I'll be good and finish my current project.

Now I'm looking forward to hearing your new one, Nate.
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

incredible!

Like most people here I've soldered quite a bit over the years and you're work is some of the finest I've ever seen. Thanks for taking the time to upload your work!

noise
nathanxl

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot Doug and Tjookum, I however still have lots to learn.
CC, I take great care when laying out the wiring that nothing is touching and build it in a way that they flex away from their closest neighbour (if that makes sense). Ive come up with some construction tricks to stop shorts.

Here is the promised vid of the latest module:

Next up I need a 4024 divider and a mixer.
dougseidel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i love the whole thing - your ability to plan stuff is amazing. i'd love to hear more of the music - maybe you can put more up on soundcloud or something.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dougseidel wrote:
... maybe you can put more up on soundcloud or something.

You can post all the audio tracks you want here. In fact, please do.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nathanxl

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a pic of my most recent Sculpture.
Not so much freeform, but definately no PCBs nor perfboard.
Its a 4017/4051 Melody Generator on a papercircuit with hand laid copper tape traces. Its a bit glitchy, in a not so good way, ATM. I think there are some traces touching somewhere. I hope to do more of this if I can find the time.

IR Melody Generator.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Viewed:  1783 Time(s)

IR Melody Generator.JPG

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's friggen brilliant, I hope you can fix it, some of those corners look suspect to me. Perhaps a fiddly method but a brilliant one for making interesting and pretty circuits nevertheless Laughing

P.S. quite inspiring too, I'm thinking of ways to make one's own PCB now in unusual methods Laughing

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
nathanxl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Its been a while since Ive checked in here. I have been busy though.
JingleJoe wrote:
I hope you can fix it, some of those corners look suspect to me.

The corners were folded back on themselves so they were actually continuous tape, I isolated the problem to being the UV setting gel that I used for the bridges... It turns out it was slightly conductive. Im currently looking for an alternative and tidy method of overlapping the copper tape outside of using clear cellotape...

Ive been working on a lot of other stuff recently, will document it on the Lunetta forum as I find the time but while Im in this thread here is something I made for my niece's birthday present.
A freeformed 40106 + LDR Light Globe Synth

Globe Synth1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.37 MB
 Viewed:  1554 Time(s)

Globe Synth1.JPG

Globe Synth2.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.3 MB
 Viewed:  1540 Time(s)

Globe Synth2.JPG

Globe Synth5.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.44 MB
 Viewed:  1553 Time(s)

Globe Synth5.JPG

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

excellent! well-done

(I thought it looked familiar but I see you posted the video earlier)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brock

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
It turns out it was slightly conductive. Im currently looking for an alternative and tidy method of overlapping the copper tape outside of using clear cellotape...

Nail polish. works great for holding 30 and 32 gauge wire in place too.
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That is mervelous Laughing Looks very mad-science Wink
It must have been difficult to make it fit into that bulb, excellent precision work there Smile

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@Nathanxl - You do beautiful work. Very inspiring. That synth in a light bulb (globe) is superb. Idea
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nathanxl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Always so nice to receive such warm support from you guys here. Thankyou.
I really dont know what my life would be without Lunetta now, I think about this stuff 24/7.
Here is the latest module for the Lunetta guitar. Not sure I can name what it is but I can explain what it does.
I wanted to add more complexity to the plucking of the strings and have the ability to turn the plucker motors off aswell.
With the switch in the up position, the guitar runs as normal :ie each of the 8 motors are live/triggered as normal. Switch in the center turns motors off. Switch down allows the normal triggering to be turned on and off via gates into a 4066.
I imagine an lfo through a divider and the outputs used to bring the motors online and off to add some space, open up compositions with some periods of silence, then bursts of activity...
Momentary switch can be used to manually trigger the plucking.
2 4bit R2R DACs each through a slewing pot to take some CV for future filters and VCAs.
"8Band auto-switching motor gate modulating Duo 4bit Slewed CV source"
As you can imagine it took a while to make. It works and is already fitted on the guitar. Video soon.

Lunetta Guitar Motor Modulator1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.46 MB
 Viewed:  1555 Time(s)

Lunetta Guitar Motor Modulator1.JPG

Lunetta Guitar Motor Modulator 1.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.2 MB
 Viewed:  1587 Time(s)

Lunetta Guitar Motor Modulator 1.JPG

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow!

you're good at this freeform stuff.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nathanxl wrote:
Not sure I can name what it is but I can explain what it does.

Sounds like a sort of gate sequencer or signal interrupter Smile

A great little device and marvelous work again, I look forwards to some video Wink

dougseidel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nathanxl:
That is completely amazing. How in God's name are you able to plan the geometry etc of such a thing! really beautiful.

mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nathanxl,

Another beautiful piece. Very Happy

What kind of solvent, if any, do you use to remove the flux from your soldered connections?

nathanxl

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, to call it a Modulator was wrong, Interrupt is indeed what it does so Ill take your advice JJ.
@ Doug, I guess I just plan placement as I go along, making sure nothing is obscured or touching, Ive been lucky that nothing has needed alteration after construction. It is laid out logically and spends a long time on the breadboard before making it to freeform.
Thanks Mosc, I dont use anything to remove the flux. If there is a build up I can pick it off with my nail.

This module has really opened up so many possibilities for the Lunetta Guitar. I can sit with it for hours and be entranced, as you all can sympathize with. I have now decided on what the next module is... The open strings sustain for a long time which is nice but I want the ability to dampen the strings so... you heard it here first.

The "8Band auto-switching motor gate signal interrupter with Duo 4bit Slewed CV source".

8Band auto-switching motor gate signal interuptor Duo 4bit Slewed CV source.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  2.09 MB
 Viewed:  1618 Time(s)

8Band auto-switching motor gate signal interuptor Duo 4bit Slewed CV source.jpg

tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

incredible!

the construction, the sounds, the variation, bravo!

noise
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:
incredible!

the construction, the sounds, the variation, bravo!

Agree! Very Happy

nathanxl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I havent checked in here for a while... Too many projects, Lunetta is just one.
Anyway, I made a video that you may enjoy. Im still working on the Solenoid String Dampening Delay Module, hope to have it done soon.

Until then...
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Your creations are amazing! Part instrument, part work of art (I've seen FAR less exciting work in the various Tates in London). One "technical" question: do you use pickups on the strings, or is it purely acoustic? I love the way that the strings are actuated BTW.

Keep up the fantastic work - it was worth the wait!

Gary
nathanxl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Gary.
You know it really is great that through this forum people with similar interests can brainstorm, inspire and encourage. Without it, I would feel quite alone stuck in my shed...

Initially I wound my own pickups for each string, they are still on the instrument, about halfway along the neck... They are disconnected ATM because I need to build preamps for each one.
If you look at the short string at centre shot of the video, just at the cross member there is a dark hard wood bridge. Under the bridge you can see a piezo squeezed in there. Each string has the same and they are mixed at the bottom to left and right channels.

Mind you this video was recorded acoustically with binaural microphones straight into the camera... I was experimenting with natural stereo recording.
Page 4 of 5 [111 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: