electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
ipad daydreamer question- specific app issue
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Tantroniq

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: ipad daydreamer question- specific app issue Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi everyone,

I am considering the possibility of scheduling some time to think about what it might be like to someday use an ipad for live performance.

At EM2010 my esteemed co-judges and I declared earthgirl the winner of the late night live performance contest. While I only observed the interface at a distance, it appears to me to have a real time wiper going by vertical columns that you could fill with squares (by dragging and dropping), the squares being, I presume, audio chunks of various durations and sizes.

My live performance experience is entirely outside my electro-music experience, so I have not even had to use a laptop for live performance. However, what I want to be able to do is continue using whatever software or hardware I feel like using but create things in my studio that I can then mix together live. This would make the most sense for what I do musically.

So I am hoping that for ipad there is a program that allows me to mix preloaded audio that I have created wherever/whenever/however and maybe and also has vst instruments, though that is not entirely necessary either. I would probably then output that to a mixing board where vocals and external instruments.

Does any of this sound like anything that inspires a specific direction to point me in? Any ideas at all greatly appreciated.

Tantroniq

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

((sigh)) Part of my post didnt make it. I wanted to say "I would output that to a mixing board where live vocals and other instruments could be added"
EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The iPad is a pretty effective medium for music performance. You don't even need a new one, a 2 works quite well (some say better). This very forum has references to a load of music apps which work, and work well.

Getting your iPad to do MIDI is not a prerequisite but it does help. There are a couple of ways to do that, some involving more money (the apple camera connection kit, or a dedicated midi dock thing) but there are quite a few choices you can make, including wireless ones.

And it's small. I remember seeing a Lemur and thinking it was kind of chunky, now a Lemur can be had for 1/100th the price as an app inside an iPad. There are apps that take advantage of the iPad's multitouch, gyro and compass.

It's a pretty cool device for making music. Smile

Home,My Studio,and another view
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, and there is more than one way to get stereo audio out from it. There's a cable you can get from Apple to mate the Dock connector with audio cables, and you can just stick a plug in the earphone socket. Both work.

Tantroniq

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll probably use much more primitive methods for my set at EM2012 but I do need to begin the process of searching for an effective tool,one that inspires less than it hinders.

Explain the advantage of MIDI. I have not used MIDI much in a long time. Do you mean this as a prerequisite for interfacing with VST?

pyrosonic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You might find this one of some use.I don't have it,but it looks like what you may be looking for audio wise.(no vst instruments tho')

http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-54218.html

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whorlweaver/133469163426410
Keysandslots

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I went with a 2nd gen and an Alesis IO Dock. The combination works fairly well, certainly lots of fun, but MIDI is a bit erratic sometimes. Most of the iPad apps have a panic button, for good reason as it turns out.

Even with the MIDI issues 'though, it has been fun, which for me is the main thing right now.

Randy
Tantroniq

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks pyrosonic, that could in fact be it!
EdisonRex
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Explain the advantage of MIDI. I have not used MIDI much in a long time. Do you mean this as a prerequisite for interfacing with VST?

Well, if you're going to use the iPad as a controller, there are a couple of ways to talk to the world at large. Both MIDI and OSC can transmit and receive via wireless, however this can be an issue because it doesn't take much to upset a wireless connection. And you need someone at the other end listening for the OSC or MIDI. Assuming the VSTs are on a PC, it might be easiest to use a wired MIDI connection (someone else more knowledgable with Windows laptops and OSC or MIDI could comment better, I think). It's not really difficult to configure on a Mac, and a lot of the iThingy apps come with a helper app to listen for MIDI or OSC and send it onwards to other applications.

In other words, the iPad needs to transmit something in order to control other things. MIDI is still ubiquitous, most things do speak MIDI still.

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » iOS - iPad/Phone/Pod etc
Jump to: