electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
CMOS keyboard
Page 2 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds awesome! great work!
jcintheus

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Using the direct outputs on my CMOS keyboard to program a 16 step sequence playing a pentatonic scale.
I used a 4067 multiplexer for the sequencer. The ABCD inputs controlled by a 4029 binary/decade, up/down counter.
Using a shift register to send "random" control bits to the up/down, binary/decade pins I was able to create this rather melodic track.
It sounds like the sequencer learning to improvise.http://soundcloud.com/bill-chavez/twelve-plus-one

DSC00056.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.4 MB
 Viewed:  1429 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DSC00056.JPG

jcintheus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another example of this things capabilities.

http://soundcloud.com/bill-chavez/spanish-key

This is all CMOS besides the drums and a little reverb.
The bass lines were created using a 4067 as a sequencer,
clocked by a 4029 through a 4008 adder. A slow shift register
was used to feed the other half of the 4008 in order to "randomize"
the words coming out of the 4029.

What all this means is, the sequence goes along as programmed,
until I enable the shift register, after which the pattern starts to evolve
based on the now shifting count from the 4029

All the other parts were improvised using the CMOS keyboard. I patched
the keyboard through Drall's 4046 pitch tracker with a divider patched in
at pins 3 and 4, and an r-2r on the Rx inputs.(pins 11 and 12)

I chose to do a cover to see if I could use this thing create something
other than totally abstract noise. To make it easy I went with some far-out
'70's style Miles Davis.

Frankly I think the drums hold it all together.
brock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's quite impressive. I agree with you on the drums holding it together. The bass line seems to start to lose it around 5:45 and when the drums drop down for a while too until around 6:45 it seems like you're working hard to keep it going rhythmically, but in all it sounds great, definitely worth another listen - which I just did - and will again.
jcintheus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

brock wrote:
That's quite impressive. I agree with you on the drums holding it together. The bass line seems to start to lose it around 5:45 and when the drums drop down for a while too until around 6:45 it seems like you're working hard to keep it going rhythmically, but in all it sounds great, definitely worth another listen - which I just did - and will again.

Thank you!

Yeah, around 5:45, I tried to kinda change the texture there. I had a
hard time with that. I should have spent more time on the bass line. The
problem was that I had "lost" my clock reference and didn't want to deal
with trying to sync the whole thing up. I need to build some kind of frequency
counter.
attdestroyers

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok, so i plan on starting on my keyboard early next week. 36 keys. My plan is to build a separate oscillator for each key using six 40106 IC's. Powered from my lunetta. Patchable into my lunetta.

- old organ keyboard.
- use diodes to stop the bleeding.
- fixed resistor and 5K trimpot for each pitch.

This should give me full polyphony and the power to incorporate the keyboard with the rest of my lunetta. I've done some tests and I think it will work good. If anybody thinks I may have a problem with this, please let me know before I start soldering.

Thanks!
jcintheus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

attdestroyers wrote:

- fixed resistor and 5K trimpot for each pitch.

Awesome! This is exciting!

I'm assuming you'll select "tuned" resistors, and then fine tune with the trimpots?
Sounds good! I'd suggest multi-turn pots for very fine tuning. I had trouble
with regular pots. The fixed resistors may solve that problem, I don't know.

attdestroyers wrote:
I've done some tests and I think it will work good

I'd love to see some schematics!

I'm very exited to see how you progress; good luck!! Smile
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

remember, you can just make one octave and put it through a bunch of 4040's to get the octaves lower than it.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I agree with Joe's suggestion of dividing the top octave. You get the same thing and only have to tune 12 notes.

Also, one thing I learned from mine is to use caps that don't very with temperature. I forget which one those are, but you can find it if uou look it up.

attdestroyers

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes, I plan on using semi-tuned resistors, then fine tuning with the trimpots. I've done some testing here, and it seems to work well.

Also, good advice on a top down approach. I thought there was a reason i wasn't doing this in the first place, but for the life of me i can't remember what it was (chip count perhaps). Anyway, I just ordered more 4040's to use the top octave method... After a little research, it seems like ceramic caps should do just fine with temperature.

Thanks all. I plan on starting tomorrow evening.
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: My Old Organ Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,

On a similar subject, In the early 80's (when some of you probably weren't born Crying or Very sad ) I used to buy a magazine called Hobby Electronics (a sort of baby brother to ETI, which you probably have heard of). They published an electric organ circuit in it, for which I bought a kit and built it. It was, I must say, it a bit crap, but it was based around an M083B1 top-octave generator IC and used 4520s to produce the lower octaves. It has long since been semi-dismantled (as I wanted the keyboard for something else), but I still have all of the populated boards (including the highly prized M083B1). I also have the original magazines which covered this project, although the original circuit uses the AY-1-0212 as the top-octave chip.

I keep thinking about resurrecting this, but putting something more interesting on the output. Currently, it uses a single transistor and some Rs and Cs per key to give an envelope and some really lousy filters afterwards to give tone. Theoretically, I could remove all of this and adapt in to trigger envelope shapers which in turn could control a VCF and a VCA. It could then became a pseudo-polyphonic synth. The only problem is, as I said above, I'm already using the keyboard for something else. I think I'll have to find a dead Casio or the like some time.

I think that your keyboard sounds great, by the way.

Gary
Page 2 of 2 [36 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: