electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Somebody help me with Timidity
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
SketchMan3

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Somebody help me with Timidity
Subject description: MIDI MIDI MIDI please, I'm about to go insane...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, I've been wanting to convert my midis to wav files. So far, the best program I've found to do so is easily and painlessly is Timidity++. I've also found the perfect Soundfont with exactly the sound I want, because it sounds like a "real world" high quality version of the Roland GM/GS for which these mid files were sequenced. My operating system is Ubuntu 10.04. I tried Synthfont under Wine, but there were too many problems and I don't want to go into that.

The only problem I have in Timidity is with the drumkits. No matter what I try to do, the only drumkit that gets loaded is "0 Standard" or "1 Standard". Many of my midis use other patches, like the 808 and the Orchestra kit, but for some reason whenever I run the file with Timidity, it always goes to the Standard kit. And the documentation regarding drums is so sparse and confusing that I just can't figure it out.

So, in a nutshell, I want to make it so that Timidity loads the proper drumkit from the Soundfont, or find a Terminal command that lets me set the drumkit manually when rendering to wave.
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I took a quick look at Timidity and it looks like it was last updated in 2004. Is there newer software you could use? I am not familiar with Linux software, but I hope there are newer sequencing programs/DAWs that would allow you to play any standard midi file using different softsynths. I know there are some Linux users here, so many some of them have suggestions. Is there anything newer listed at KVR?
Steve
PS: Please don't go insane!
PPS: I just did a quick search over at KVR for "midi to wav" for Linux and found this. Not sure it will help, but hey, its free for Linux!
http://www.kvraudio.com/product/xo_wave_by_xo_audio
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

When you say '0 standard' or '1 standard', are you sure it's not askng for the midi file format first? IIRC the two types -0 & 1- have the notes laid out differently. One is all notes for all channels on one track, the other all channels are broken out to seperate tracks. If you could load the the midi file into a plain-jane midi program, import it as a type 1 (I think...) so that each channel is on different tracks and then edit the program change in the track info. Chances are that drums are on channel 10 and program 1 is set for that channel. Most GM/GS units default to ch10 for drums. You could just remove the program select in that channel (10) and try saving/exporting the file back to midi and see if that works, not sure if that would work as it might have to have a program # set.

If you want, post the midi file here and I'll take a look at it. Or PM me and you can send it to me to look at.

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Soft synths
Jump to: