electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Sine core VCO?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
formant84

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Sine core VCO? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

I've built a couple of VCOs recently , namely THs XR-VCO and VCO-1. Whilst i'm very happy with how these have turned out, i can't seem to adjust the sine wave well enough so that it sounds pure at really low frequencies, and one thing i wanna do with my kit is produce some really fat sub bass, so this is a small problem.

So what I was looking in the LM13700 datasheet and there is a schematic there for a sine core VCO, so I thought it'd be cool to build that and then derive all the other waves from the sine, but looking around online I can't seem to find any evidence of anyone doing things this way around. Is there a good reason for this which I haven't spotted? Because it seems to me that a perfect sine is the hardest wave to produce and the easiest one to hear the difference in when it's not quite right, so surely a sine core VCO is a good idea?

I'm guessing i'm totally wrong here because if it was such a good idea then there would probably be lots of them about, but i'm just curious as to why this isan't a more popular approach?

Any answers appreciated,

Cheers,

John
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Sine core VCO? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

formant84 wrote:
... Because it seems to me that a perfect sine is the hardest wave to produce and the easiest one to hear the difference in when it's not quite right, so surely a sine core VCO is a good idea?

Detailed discussion and circuitry here:
http://www.electro-music.com/forum/topic-19841.html
Yves sells a nice VCQO board.

As far as your other comments, human hearing falls off at low frequencies, so any harmonics will sound especially loud.

Trouble with a Sin core is there is no easy way to get the other "standard" waveforms. You can do a "Sin-Saw", and it is probably about as useful as a Saw, but not the same thing. Pulse is easy to do, but the PW response is nonlinear.

Ian
formant84

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah right, i just assumed that since the sine seems to be the most fiddly waveform to produce from a triangle or saw then it'd be easier to start with the sine and go the other way, silly me!

That's a really cool circuit, i think i'll have to build one of those this week to have a play! Looks like it could provide me with a good sine for my sub bass as well as the wave mixing features, and you can never hav too many oscillators!

Thanks again for the advice,

John.
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You could try a Mankato or other wide-range VC filter in self-oscillation..

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: