electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
My Simple Clock Divider
Page 2 of 3 [60 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
yusynth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Mathias

In my designs I also tend to use transistor drivers after CMOS circuit although the CMOS can handle the amount of current drawn by one LED (in particular if you limit the LED current to 7mA as I use to). I think it is healthier for the CMOS...

Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: My Simple Clock Divider Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agreed on the transistor drivers for LEDs. Looking at the data sheet for a 4069, I get a typical value about 9mA when the chip is run on a +15V supply (listed as Io h on the data sheet). Most CMOS (like the 4017 chip used in so many dividers and sequencers) has a similar output drive, and so you're asking quite a bit for a chip like this to drive an LED and something like a gate input or two. It will probably work, but I wouldn't place bets on it lasting a long time. This may explain the problems seen with the Doepfer unit when it is patched to several outputs (although I have no idea how that unit's outputs are set up).

Tim (high output drive, especially on Saturdays) Servo
cthulu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You can safely say I've been woted down on this one... Wink
Though I didn't intend the inverters to drive the LED's. I said let the divider drive the LED's and then the inverters can "drive" the output. Perhaps íncrease some resistances... and you wouldn't be able to drive as many inputs with it, true enough... I haven't counted on it though.
I wouldn't drive an output and an LED from a 4k CMOS chip... but I think you can let the chip sink an LED and operate as normal, seing only one CMOS input.

The doepfer divider (180/181 my doepfer was built pre. -96)... I think there was BC547's to drive the LED's and for the outputs I don't know...
I actually studied the circuit while it was in my posession and I wrote it down somewhere... Rolling Eyes
tommi

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I 've built this circuit on a stripboard. Everything is fine except for the reset input, wich have no effect. I 've tried feeding it with pulses, triggers and square waves but the count continues undisturbed...
I am 100% sure that the circuitry is the same as the schematics.
I 've changed the two 3904 involved, but nothing. The diode is working.
I am powering it with 12V. Could it be a problem on the polarizing of this part of the circuit? (not sure about how it works Embarassed ).
Could be a mistake on the schematics?
Any help?
thanks,
tommi

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i could not find this version of the schematic on my machine anymore. if this one was the source for the board i made then it would be on my machines drives. so i don't know.

anyways, try the one below (not tested yet).

BTW, maybe one of the janitors could move this thread into fonik's place. that would be great.

div04.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.1 KB
 Viewed:  8368 Time(s)

div04.gif

tommi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks fonik,
On the schematic you 've posted the input's resistor to ground (R5, 100K) is quite bigger than the one i 've used following the 'old' schematic shown on page 1 of this thread, also named R5, wich was 100R! Isn't it too near to ground?

kkissinger

Audio files: 29

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yusynth wrote:
In my designs I also tend to use transistor drivers after CMOS circuit although the CMOS can handle the amount of current drawn by one LED (in particular if you limit the LED current to 7mA as I use to). I think it is healthier for the CMOS...

I've etched a number of Yves' Logic boards -- they make great gate drivers because they have a high input impedance (1 and 1.2 meg resistors!) and deliver plenty of current to the load. The circuit is configured as two ANDs, an OR, and a not. The circuits are easily modded -- in fact, my latest board is configured as simply four drivers.

One of the features of the board is that the LED is connected in series with the output. The LED's return feeds a 1.5K resistor that connects to ground and a 1K resistor that goes to the load. An easy mod is to replace the 1.5K resistor with a larger value -- around 10K. This causes the LED to glow dim with no load and to glow brighter as the load increases. Thus, the circuit can be used to identify the loads that pull the most current.

OK, consider this a plug for the Yusynth logic boards -- they have proven very useful in ways that go beyond the original application.

tommi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fonik,
I 've breadboarded the circuit you posted, and it works!
I 've used 2n3904 for the npns. I thought that maybe i could leave out the first diode (D5), since i think it's there only for protecting the jack from the pulses from the manual switch, wich i omitted on my module, isn't it?

Tomorrow i'll try to substitute to the old one on the stripboard and report the results!
thanks for the help!
cheers,
tommi

fonik

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tommi wrote:
I 've breadboarded the circuit you posted, and it works!
I 've used 2n3904 for the npns. I thought that maybe i could leave out the first diode (D5), since i think it's there only for protecting the jack from the pulses from the manual switch, wich i omitted on my module, isn't it?

yep. it is kind of an passive OR gate mixer thing.

glad it works now. have fun...

knob_alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice this clock divider....I want one!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
LFLab

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and rightfully so, built one a couple of weeks ago, and it works fine. Didn't make a PCB for it, just used perfboard (or at least, I designed a PCB with PC mount cliff jacks on one edge, perf in the middle and a section with a 16 pole header, resistors and smoothing caps, to allow really quick builds (apart from the drilling of all the holes Smile )).
fonik

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

something like this? Very Happy

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

this is in my drawer for a while now, maybe i should offer a PCB?

anyways, i am glad you built and like it!
great idea of making your own perfboard with socket footprints and power header!

LFLab

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice one Matthias!

Maybe I should have done a PCB as well, it's a lot smaller than the thing I'm using now. But yeah, projects with PC-mount jacks or pots get done very quickly, but projects where I have to mount the PCB somehow stay in the drawer a longgggg time. Hate doing wiring and sheetmetal work to mount something (despite being a mechanical engineer Very Happy ).

The disadvantage of the thing I did was that I didn't use Eagle but illustration software, so I don't have gerbers, so I can only make it using PnP and hence have to drill a ton of holes.

Do you have a library with a footprint for those cliff sockets?
fonik

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

LFLab wrote:
Do you have a library with a footprint for those cliff sockets?

sure. just drop me an email...

inlifeindeath

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i just finished a preamp to use my guitar with my synth gear, and fed the signal into one of fonik's dividers (i made my own) I made a video where the guitar signal is /2 and the original signal is fed into the hard sync of a x-4046 VCO.

skylab76

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just wanted to express my gratitude for the awesome, elegant simplicity of Fonik's divider. I built two strip-board-based dividers in a day or so without a hitch. Musically , the dividers make a big difference with all four of my sequencers.
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for that feedback. makes me happy, too. Very Happy
o-live

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

great work ,always usefull !

this module exist with single sided pcb ?
fonik

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no. i did no single sided PCB for self etching for years now. the chemicals have been no problem, but i was tired of drilling the PCBs...
o-live

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello

i understand you ,too much holes Smile

i search other module in this spirit YUsynth make one in single sided
but not the same time option ,i search symetric / asymetric

x3 x5 x7 ...
have good day
micyclebicycle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know this is an old topic, but it would be cool to see someones perf builds if youve got pics?!

did a PCB ever get run for this?
fonik

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

micyclebicycle wrote:
did a PCB ever get run for this?

i made very few SMT PCBs for myself, the only PCB that left has been sold months ago.

would there be any interest in a PCB for this?

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
would there be any interest in a PCB for this?

yes ! Smile
i would buy a few.
An SMT version even better, but perhaps others would prefer thru hole ?

as good an answer as any
yan6

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be in for at least one
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be in for a couple, especially if panels are offered too...
Page 2 of 3 [60 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » fonik's place
Jump to: