electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2012 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 11 of 16 [383 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
ashleym

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a UK link

http://www.nanoblocks.uk.com/nanoblocks-musical-1-c.asp

They are Japanese, so a quick look around should get you your local supplier. And no dangerous voltages. I cant complain about my girlfriend as she is getting me Maschine for my birthday....... Very Happy Very Happy
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i added a common audio input that goes to all 8 filters of my stepped multimode filter module simultaniously. now i have a voltage controlled filterbank:

Breakdown Stepped Multimode CV Filterbank from fonitronik on Vimeo.

elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, nanoblocks, that was what I was trying to remember.

I've seen them at a store called Marbles: The Brain Store here in the US, as well as museum gift shops and such.
delayed

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: MFOS Alien DIY Project Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here are a couple MFOS Alien DIY projects. One for me and one for a friend. Not the best lighting.

1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  126.69 KB
 Viewed:  73 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

1.jpg

3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  109.28 KB
 Viewed:  67 Time(s)

3.jpg

5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  113.08 KB
 Viewed:  63 Time(s)

5.jpg

o-live

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello

i'm new here and i begin into the analog world from last year and i have discover this terrible site thank's to all community for sharing your experiences .

my mfb for travel i call it KumZwerg : (wait to finish with an extension passive attenuator /multiples/mods on filter ...)

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

and one other project cabinet for Vermona gears Vermouth :

modified monotron :

and now i work slowly on new cabinet for multiples modified monotron &monotribe &eurorack modules

and learn how to make pcb and faceplate

elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After six months of work, I finally have all the pieces together to call the beast a modular synthesizer. Last critical piece was the VCF/VCA from Analog Synth for the 21st Century.

Still knobless--I need to take it out and fix the resonance pot, which of course i wired backwards Smile.

Main other bit of maintenance is I need to work on making the power harness more studly; I have been using the pressure fit rather than soldered MTA connectors, and it was causing me grief this evening.

Now it's on to less crucial components, like a second VCO, a buffered multiple, an LFO (probably the new TH one), the S&H and Noise (I think I can get them behind a single panel) and then 3 more units left to play with...and more than enough additional PCBs to fill them. Smile.

BTW in the middle section I made two sets of inputs that are switchable between the VCF or the VCA. I couldn't fit the basic set of controls in 2u wide, and this 3u wide was going to waste space...plus I needed more inputs in places to be able to implement (eventually) the patchover scheme to play with. Not going to normal it, but I can connect it up regardless.

2012-08-15_22-44-56_284.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  458.2 KB
 Viewed:  69 Time(s)

2012-08-15_22-44-56_284.jpg

Skrog Productions

Audio files: 87

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow , great diy builds guys , i like the insect print Smile

Dave.

kanji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi fellow synth heads. I'm a "newbie" on this site, but been lurking for quite some time here. This site has truly helped when I've hit a wall with builds.

Just wanted to show you guys my first proper synth build.

I've been building synth stuff to breadboards for quite some time and decided to put best bits in one case.

I've always been fan of bass synths and my goal is to build fat analog mono bass/lead synth but with wider patching possibilities than my current gear. I chose to use korgs MS20 styling because it already has a patching board, but I wanted to make mine bit bigger.

Name is bit cheesy but couldn't come up with better name Laughing

Synth has two FARM VCO 2 oscillators based on Motohiko Takedas designs. Both OSCs have MC202(SH101) sub oscillators for square waves.

Next to oscillators there is 4CH audio/cv mixer and next to that a place for two MS20 filters. At the moment there is just one in place. Envelope generators are based on Renes 555 times envelope circuits.

There is two LFO's both putting out triangle and square wave and ring modulator thats based on 4011, much like on MS20.

Noise generator has white and pink noise. VCA is based on Motohiko Takedas design.

All individual parts have own input and outputs, so nothing is hardwired on inside. In the future, all parts of this synth can be used with modular set up.

Here are couple pics.

I pondered a while if I post this clip or not. But its always nice to hear DIY synhts instead of just looking pictures so here goes nothing.

Nothing fancy on this short demo clip, mostly out of tune square oscillators competing over each other. Oscs are mostly playing dry, I didn't want to use filter because there was some clicking/clitching sound from envelope generator. I recorded this in hurry so there is line noise from other synths and overall levels are too hot so there is some clipping.

1 sound : two squares with slight detune playing Prodigys Everybody in the place melody.

2 sound : Arpeggiated squares, some ADSR tweaking

3 sound : Two PWM squares on octave lower, delay from Ableton Live

4 sound : Two Squares, first just one Osc second Osc rises slowly

5 sound : Acidic pattern. Just one Saw wave from Osc one, through minimoog filter, delay from Ableton live

6 sound : One square filtered with minimoog filter, playing Hardfloors da revival subbass pattern.

7 sound : PWM square trance kinda melody with delay

8 sound : Melody from Nitzers Promises. Here I tried to make SH101 kinda sound

9 sound : poorly cloned numan. Low squares though minimoog filter

10 sound : EBM melody

http://soundcloud.com/tiergrinder/sh20-test

SH20_000.jpg
 Description:
Work in progress. Oscillators in place and about half of other stuff installed
 Filesize:  531 KB
 Viewed:  104 Time(s)

SH20_000.jpg

SH20_001.jpg
 Description:
Work in progress. Oscillators in place and about half of other stuff installed
 Filesize:  606.77 KB
 Viewed:  84 Time(s)

SH20_001.jpg

Last edited by kanji on Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:27 am; edited 7 times in total
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 124
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

O-live and kanji, welcome to electro-music.com

Beautiful builds, both!

Last edited by mosc on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
o-live

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Mosc !

happy to are here

cheers from France

ps:Astonished work kanji Shocked
kanji

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you Mosc and o-live.

Project is couple steps closer being "finished", although I know it will never be finished. Its too tempting to build new parts and upgrade what you have.

This week my synth got Yusynths minimoog filter and yusynths Sample and Hold circuit. Huge thank to Yves for these circuits. Filter sounds just lovely and sample and hold has given me countless hours of tweaking fun already Smile
Aum Generator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AndyR1960 wrote:

No idea what to do next...

Looks great already. Hm, what to do next...Some music maybe! Laughing
PHOBoS

Audio files: 332

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lot's of beautifull jawdropping builds here

love the colors and amount of knobs you got on that ehm,.. thing o-live Razz

and that second pic from kanji almost looks like a computer generated image it's so clean Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fonik

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

kanji wrote:
Just wanted to show you guys my first proper synth build.

Shocked
i am looking forward to see your 2nd 'proper' bild. this one is amazing already!

fonik

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

someone here on the forum asked me if i would do a PCB fo a single attenuvertion channel to retrofit CV inputs of built modules. so i came up with the following DIY PCB chicklet:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
FlickR Set

i am doing a PCB run for this, just refer to my sub-forum here...

fonik

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
Still knobless--I need to take it out and fix the resonance pot, which of course i wired backwards Smile.

Laughing of course. i know, i know...

bubzy

Audio files: 50

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, its not a synth, but in the absence of me building anything remotely synthesizer related in the past couple of months, i present my cycle computer,
its not for riding on the roads, its for at home on the trainer Smile
it has mph, cadence, route programming, route display, potentiometer based selection, and automatic trainer adjustment through a servo.
all on one arduino chip, incredible stuff.

all thanks to the skills i've learned here.

now to put my new arduino skills to music........

photo.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.61 MB
 Viewed:  120 Time(s)

photo.JPG

fonik

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

65mph? wow!
bubzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
65mph? wow!

ah, the magic of fooling sensors Very Happy

Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 147
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bubzy wrote:
fonik wrote:
65mph? wow!

But you didn't get very far Laughing

bubzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
bubzy wrote:
fonik wrote:
65mph? wow!

But you didn't get very far Laughing

i fell off :/

mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 124
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

fonik wrote:
i came up with the following DIY PCB chicklet:

Very good idea, and useful.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's my second Teezer build. I built one of these when the PCBs first became available from Bridechamber, and although it took a ton of debugging (Thanks Ian!) it eventually worked, for a while. A small electrical accident knocked it out of commission however, and it's still in the process of being resurrected.

The first one had really cool 10 turn pots, although I didn't really like them that much, so this time around I turned to my current fascination with big knobs for the pots that can benefit from extra care in setting.

This one also uses detachable interconnects for the panel wiring - for years I've been Mr. Macho about hard wiring everything - "it's going to work first time every time dammit, why bother with interconnects?". This was just a test to see if it might be a good idea for future builds, and considering the debugging process this time around, I'll probably be doing this more often.

Anyway, I was super meticulous about getting all the right parts, super careful about all the solders, etc, and was fully expecting it to just work, first time, you know. Like usual.

It didn't. The CA3280 got really hot, and 2 of the diodes blew out. Yikes. I posted for help in the TZFM VCO thread here, and Dave Brown came to my rescue - via a series of emails he walked me through testing everything around the affected parts, and eventually was able to determine that I must have just had a bad CA3280. So I took the one out of my old teezer, not really expecting it to work, but it fired right up, and everything works perfectly now! Thanks Dave!

Ian Fritz Teezer VCO front

Ian Fritz Teezer VCO profile

Ian Fritz Teezer VCO back
fonik

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck, what is the total number of all your modules??? your living room does look like hans zimmer's, i believe...
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha! Not nearly Hans Zimmer. Yet.

Currently I have 65 modules in 6 cabinets. One of these, the MOTM 650 was bought premade. And there's my first teezer which is currently disassembled for repair. And I've built a small pile of modules for other people, and sold a few dupe modules if I improved them enough that the old one drove me crazy.

So I'm not nearly in record breaking territory yet. I'm pretty sure both Pugix and Dave Brown have more modules than I do, and probably quite a few others - I really only pay attention to motm format systems, I'm sure there are some much larger euro systems and such. Oh, and my wife wouldn't let me keep this in the living room - it's all in a tiny spare bedroom I use as an office/studio. Although the living room is full of antiques - if this was in there it might start to look like the Zimmer studio - hmmmm...

I think the picture below is about 50 modules - I've since added on 3 of the cheapo Winkels cabinets - at this point I had a small pile of modules on shelves, being rotated in and out depending on my needs - this is from November of last year (2011) -

full modular 2011
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 11 of 16 [383 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: