electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Correction: I'm *not* making TR-808 Voice Boards...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 6 of 10 [241 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next

How would you like the 808 voices to be arranged?
Two pcbs with six voices each.
28%
 28%  [ 15 ]
Three pcbs with four voices each.
21%
 21%  [ 11 ]
Individual pcbs with one voice each.
50%
 50%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 52

jaidee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doug wrote:

P.S. Infindebula, I have placed the order for the production boards... Smile[/quote]

Have the boards arrived yet???
infindebula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep ... it's been over a month since that announcement, and eight-oh-eight.com was last updated July 17. It's time for an update, Dougster. If you don't have boards yet, when do you expect them?

Thanks
bubzy

Audio files: 63

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Patience is a virtue...
krisp14u

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bubzy wrote:
Patience is a virtue...

Yes it is Very Happy

But with the amount of time we have waited having paid our $100 deposit in good faith it's starting to drag Sad

Paul Darlow

www.krisp1.com
infindebula

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The eight-oh-eight.org site was updated since my last post. In a nutshell: PCBs are expected "any day", and he will be away next week.

Thanks, Doug.
rosch

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doug,
since 1 or 2 people backed off the list, is there a chance to get on it still (or again?)
Romplex

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: MB 808 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,im new to this forum, i was sent here by a friend who showed me the mb 808 and im interested in getting on the waiting list for 1.

Is there still some left over from the third batch? or are they all taken?
HexInverter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: MB 808 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Romplex wrote:
Hi,im new to this forum, i was sent here by a friend who showed me the mb 808 and im interested in getting on the waiting list for 1.

Is there still some left over from the third batch? or are they all taken?

+1 to that...I sent an email days ago but no response! Smile

sympleSEQ -- the simple to build analog step-sequencer

seqSQUARED -- the Analogue Pattern Generator
--> Put yourself on the hexinverter.net mailing list to be notified when in stock!
infindebula

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oops! In my last message I accidentally referred to the web site as a .com, when in fact it is http://eight-oh-eight.org.

BTW it's been a month since anybody has heard anything from Dougster, when he updated the site to say that PCBs are expected "any day".

In the absence of an update, I can only presume that now he's home from his recent business trip, with a cardboard box that still smells like China sitting on his kitchen table, full of big shiny boards. With a little luck, the only dilemma remaining in the project known as "MB-808 Batch 3" is whether he should spend this beautiful evening assembling kits, or drafting an email requesting the final $200 balance.
Spotta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My vote goes for assembling kits, then sending us our email Very Happy
What say ye Doug?

effegee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spotta wrote:
My vote goes for assembling kits, then sending us our email Very Happy
What say ye Doug?

+1
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

infindebula wrote:

BTW it's been a month since anybody has heard anything from Dougster, when he updated the site to say that PCBs are expected "any day".

In the absence of an update, I can only presume that now he's home from his recent business trip,....

In Status on http://eight-oh-eight.org./, it says he is away "on business" until 3 Nov 2012
Spotta

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Any news? Nearly 2 months since the last update on eight-oh-eight.org. I'm guessing the 'Shipping Guy' didn't live up to his name.

Getting my soldering iron warmed up, can't be too much longer can it, that's everything in now and Doug back from his latest trip a few days ago.....

infindebula

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm trying HARD not to be that guy who gets all angry because it's been years, blah blah blah... then get my deposit refunded only to see kits start shipping a week later.

I could deal with delays for any reason at all. I would even sit back comfortably and wait if he posted "sorry guys I haven't actually done anything for the past two years because I've been distracted, but I'll get on it one of these days."

It was because of this very lack of communication that over two years ago I did a big parts order and bought all the ICs and passives I would need for this project, not realizing that he didn't even have a layout that was ready to go.

I used to talk to Doug rather frequently back when he was on the MIDIbox forum, and always believed he was a stand-up guy. But if I was out on a long business trip like this and returned, my very first priority would be to update the web page, even if just to say "sorry guys, I'll report back in a couple of days when I get over my jet lag" or whatever.

For that matter, Doug by his own accounts has been carrying around a (presumably) modern smartphone that really should give him internet access, to some extent, just about anywhere. I am curious where a person could go "on business" for 3 weeks without cellular coverage.

So I am really torn here. I am starting to suspect that there may be more to these delays than what Doug has told us, and I may never see this kit. I hate to hear myself say that because from what I know I really like Doug, but at least if the kit will never come I might be able to get my hundred bucks back now.

Nobody but Doug knows how many people bought into this. 25? 100? 200? 500? In any case multiply it by $100 to see that he's sitting on a lot of money that isn't his, and despite the delays, he is being absolutely disrespectful to a very patient group of builders that just wants to know what the hell is going on.

For that matter, if the PCB is such a problem, why not take a consensus from the group, who have been forced to wait for years in the face of woefully inadequate communication, to see who would like to simply get another run of the "batch 2" boards made? I know I would gladly accept batch 2 boards if it meant I could finally put this project to rest.

I have one more thing to say: I'm going to guess that since Doug took my money, updates have appeared on eight-oh-eight.org once every 6 weeks or so, on average. Maybe Doug doesn't realize that I have reloaded that page almost every day since I put in my money, believing I was going to see good news. The ratio of his effort to my disappointment is starting to wear on me.

Doug please respond. I want to believe.
effegee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

infindebula wrote:
I have reloaded that page almost every day since I put in my money, believing I was going to see good news.

The page is permanently open on my iPhone and I reload it daily...
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

infindebula wrote:
I'm trying HARD not to be that guy who gets all angry ...

You have every right to be pissed off, over 2 years to get a PCB and some components!!!
The lack of communication is simply wrong and, having been there myself with another person, I know it is extremely frustrating and infuriating.

Doug has not posted on this forum since Aug 19, nearly 3 months. Take that as a good hint.

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men / Gang aft agley.".

Edit: update on 808 -
November 7, 2012:
Quote:

I'm back. How many of you had a panic attack while I was gone? I hope none! Wink
I've got lots of email to go through. Please give me a few days and I'll get to you.
I'll put a better update here in a couple days when I get everything sorted.
Soon, I'll be sending out emails to people who have already sent deposits. Please set aside about $100 for the final payment. Don't worry, I've made you wait this long, so I'll be happy to wait for you if you need a bit of time to come up with the rest.
I've had another flood of emails requesting to get in on the fourth batch. I'm close enough to finishing now that I'm going to set the deadline for the last batch at December 31, 2012. At that time, I'll send out a notice to everyone on the list to confirm. That will be the last batch.
Dougster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wowsers, didn't realize it had been so long since I posted here...

My priority has been to put updates on the web page, not to post to any particular forum, partly because I don't know where everybody hangs out, and partly because I'm trying to stay focused and keep it simple so that everybody has only one place to look. I know people hate me because I don't cruise all the forums, but sorry, I just don't have the time. (I'm posting here because I joined the E-M chat room and was reminded of this thread...)

Final deadline:
I'm committing to finishing up everything by the end of the year. That means that I am going to close the list for the last batch on December 31, 2012.

Current batch:
At the moment, I'm trying to catch up on emails, then I will double check all my parts to make sure I have everything (Note: I think I already have everything, but I want to make sure), and after that I'll start sending out messages to everybody on the order list to finalize details like shipping address and cost. I plan to be completely done with batch three before I start dealing with batch four.

Last batch. (Batch four.)
On January 1, 2013, I will send out an email to everybody on the waiting list for batch four, the last batch, then give everybody until January 14 to reply to me to confirm that they are still interested. I plan to only make enough circuit boards to cover everybody who is on the list by January 1 and who replies to me by January 14. On January 15, I will place the order for circuit boards. As soon as the boards arrive, I will send out invoices, and you'll have two weeks from that day to confirm and pay. After the two weeks, all outstanding invoices will be cancelled and any remaining boards will be available on a first-come-first-served basis. When they are gone, I plan to have a private ceremony at my house where I will delete all the Gerbers and Eagle files associated with this project.

Hopefully that means everything will be completely wrapped up and done by the end of February, 2013. Good luck to all of us.

Regards,
Doug

P.S. I don't remember what my last update was about the original topic of this thread, but at this point, I have cancelled all plans to make any 808 voice cards.

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
effegee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dougster wrote:
When they are gone, I plan to have a private ceremony at my house where I will delete all the Gerbers and Eagle files associated with this project.

Hey, Doug, when that time comes, you could just send me the files and I'll delete them for you...
Dougster

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

effegee wrote:
Hey, Doug, when that time comes, you could just send me the files and I'll delete them for you...

LOL! Thanks for the offer man...

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
bubzy

Audio files: 63

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

good for you doug!

3 cheers for freedom!

infindebula

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: I'll take what you have! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Please Doug, even if something is missing, I would be perfectly willing to source it (or kludge it) myself. Maybe somebody would even run a bulk order just for that part.
Dougster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There are two obvious things that could be bulk orders, the LCD and the case. (Well, I suppose you could also do a bulk order for the Mouser parts list too if someone wanted to count that many parts...)

The LCD is more than $30 for one, but just a bit over fifteen bucks each in quantity of 20. However, the last I checked, there was a long lead time to get them, that's why I'm not including them in the kit. Once I get all the third batch kits out the door and get an idea of how many people really want kits in the fourth batch, I might be able to run a bulk order for the LCD. If I could get a total of 100 orders with both batches, the displays would be just over $12 each. I'm not possessive about this, if someone else has twelve hundred bucks lying about and they want to run a bulk order for these things, that's fine by me.

There are a couple possibilities for the case. The most common option up until now has been one of the Hammond cases, machined by Front Panel Express/Schaeffer and with a printed label. I haven't priced them recently myself, but I think the cases were about $40 and the machining was about $100. I don't know how much the labels were. Another good possibility would be to have Julian http://www.thebeast.co.uk/cnc/index.html over in the UK do the machining. I've already mentioned it to him and I think he is interested...

Regards,
Doug

Blue LEDs are evil.
effegee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regarding the LCD, I read in the MIDIbox forum about someone using a different one (orange backlight) that he got from eBay for $6.99 USD:

http://midibox.org/forums/topic/15889-mb-808-first-test/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16x2-LCD-Orange-Characters-Black-backlight-HD44780-New-/120748772099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1d300b03

He did say, however:
"my lcd was a bit too large and I actually CUT THE MB-808 PCB for it to fit"

So it's certainly not for the faint of heart.
Dougster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the revision one and two boards, there was no specific cutout for an LCD. There is an area on the right with optional mounting points for potentiometers for mods, and that is where we usually put the display.

On the newer boards I completely redid the layout and there is a rectangular cutout for the display along with four holes for mounting screws. Things are pretty tight, so there really isn't room to enlarge the cutout on the new boards. The way to use a larger display will be to mount the display on top of the board, not through it. It will stick up out of the case a bit further, but some people like that...

Regards,
Doug

EDIT: Here's a diagram to hopefully show what I'm talking about:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Blue LEDs are evil.
djs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Doug- any luck getting the forum back online? I'm guessing not..

Also- did the pcbs arrive for batch 3? Given your comments above, I would assume so, but just checking. If so, did they build ok?

thanks for your work on this!
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 6 of 10 [241 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: