electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Jez Adventures in Sound
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Which 10 chips would you choose?
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Which 10 chips would you choose?
Subject description: For the most "complete" Lunetta?
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Answers can be a simple list of the 10 chips, (each up to 16pin DIL) or a more explanatory draft.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm thinking of putting 10 chips in a wooden chest. The opening is 230 * 83mm (9"*3"). The lid has the same space which could house switches and dials on a ribbon cable. I'll get some photos as soon as I find the camera! Rolling Eyes Laughing

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-40106 for oscillators
-2x 4051
-2x 4017(there's just so much you can do with these two, you need two of each)
-4516(other another divider)
-shift register like the 4016(was that a shift register? I don't remember the exact number)
-4077 XOR
-A different gate IC like a 4011 NAND (IIRC)

And that's ten! Personally I'd like a 4089, but that's a pretty damn complete lunetta there.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 258

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'll second Joe's choices for the most part, however I'll also mention that for the Lunetta to be "complete", it should probably have a set of subcircuits that represent the history of Lunettas. To that end, I wiould rather ask the question: Which few subcircuits can I implement in approximately 10 chips?

To answer the question I would research two treasure troves of Lunettahood: this forum and more importantly Stan's original schematics which are posted in photo of paper schematic form on his website.

Once you know what subcircuits are historically significant for Lunettas, then you go for the actual chip numbers. And don't forget the venerable CD4022, from which an 8 step sequencer emerges with only one chip - just ask State Machine about that chip, he loves them!

Les

jcintheus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ten is pretty slim! That's a tough choice.

-40106 or 4584 oscs
-4040 divide/count
-4046 vco
-4015 dual shift regs
-4051 multiplex
-4017/22 counter/divide (8 or 10)
-4029 up/down bin/dec counter
-4070 gate
-4018 divide by 2-10
-4093 osc/gate/buffer

I think 20 may be a more reasonable number.
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

jcintheus wrote:
Ten is pretty slim! That's a tough choice.

"Nobody said life was meant to easy." Laughing Cool

But it really just comes down to what is going to be comfortable to fit into this box, with enough space for an output amp, speaker (s?) battery (or 2) and all other analogue processes, plus plenty of SIL strips to keep it super flexible and easily interconnected to the "Nexus 1" and "Frankie". I seriously thought of dropping it to 8, but I don't want the construction to be too easy either! Laughing

Thanks everyone for the lists of chips, that's exactly what I was hoping for. Smile

Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those are all great chips. When I'm tight on space as well as 40106's, I put switiches on them to vary the caps. Lots of variety without taking up too much space. One day I'm going to get a big ol' rotary switch to put a ton of caps on.

I like the 4040, heck I have 3 in my mini lunetta! Those divisions are octaves in my book and therefore essential in providing the "notes" for the 4051 or any other data selector to play.

My other fave is the 4046 due to its dual nature as either a simple vco or a cool pitch tracker. This is as important for me as a fuzz pedal was to Jimi. Shapes that output man Cool . Not a complex chip but the tone shaping rivals the more fancy pants filters and wave shapers out there.

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: