electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
The Threeler
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 10 of 10 [246 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10
Argitoth

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

egodzillal wrote:
oh btw special hello to Argitoth who gave me the will to do that wonderful threeler with his soundcloud demos !
I really appreciate that and I hope when I finally get my 4th incarnation of my analog synth together it will not only last a lifetime but I can provide many more helpful demos of individual modules help people make decisions either to invest or not invest in a module. I want to create more informative Threeler demos especially.

ShyK wrote:
On another note, there is a lack of demos so I've attached a trippy acid/trance sample for anyone who wants to hear what a super tough 3-pole filter can do in a production-ready setting.
ShyKay great sample! I like how it reminds me of Need for Speed music. Thanks!
ShyK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the comment, Argitoth.

Here's another sample, not as nice and melodic, but one that shows how this filter can cope with and even enhance a steep/sharp sound that most other filters would barely cope with and turn to something tamer than it's supposed to be.

shy-threeler-technosync.flac
 Description:
output 1, hp, lp, lp/hp

Download
 Filename:  shy-threeler-technosync.flac
 Filesize:  3.06 MB
 Downloaded:  1888 Time(s)

bridechamber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone got a suggestion player for a .flac player on a Mac? Downloaded aTunes, then had to download mplayer but aTunes can't find it head banging monitor

Wanna hear the samples!!!!
Thanks!
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use Roxio Toast on my mac, but that's because I have it for other purposes already, it wasn't a deliberate purchase.

Here's one solution that's a plugin for iTunes, but I don't use it so I can't vouch for it: http://code.google.com/p/flukeformac/
ShyK

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another, nicer demo of this fantastic filter.

Scott, on Mac OS, other than that iTunes plugin, you could use Decibel, Clementine, Jajuk, VLC.

shy-threeler-crunchyfunky.flac
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  shy-threeler-crunchyfunky.flac
 Filesize:  5.2 MB
 Downloaded:  1923 Time(s)

ShyK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:11 pm    Post subject: full track example
Subject description: Threeler is omnipotent
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Turritopsis - Confusion (flac)

The link above is to a full track with the Threeler VCF processing all the sounds except percussion.

I'm posting it here since it's a very interesting example, showing not just how well it handles sounds from an analog synth, but also how it can bring a synth like the Korg WaveStation plugin into a completely new level of awesomeness.
Argitoth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice stuff, ShyK! I like your crunchyfunky.

I'm finally ready to put my threeler(s) back together and I'll have to make some demos. Yep, it is worth owning two for sure!
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Argitoth wrote:
Dave Brown was very kind and gave me instructions on using this switch. See pin layout in diagram of second link above this post:

Dave Brown wrote:

Here is the wiring diagram of the switch from the front and rear. The order
in which you wire them matches the schematic. You can swap them around if
you want a different sequence of filter modes but I would probably go with
the default.

Over on the far right of the PCB are four pads labeled J2. A1, A0, Gnd, and
V+

Connect A1 to pin 5 on the switch. Connect A0 to the other pin 5 on the
switch. Wire the various pins as follow:

On the row connected to A0:
Pin 1 Gnd
Pin 2 V+
Pin 3 Gnd
Pin 4 V+
Pin 5 A0

On the row connected to A1:
Pin 1 Gnd
Pin 2 Gnd
Pin 3 V+
Pin 4 V+
Pin 5 A1

It is just outputing a binary code to drive the electronic switches U3 and
U4.

Danger! This appears to not agree with the data sheet! Please check carefully before using!

Ian
Argitoth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

here's the correct wiring.

switch wiring SRBM140800.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.53 KB
 Viewed:  28707 Time(s)

switch wiring SRBM140800.png

ShyK

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's another demo with this filter.

shy-threeler-acid2.flac
 Description:
it always fits

Download
 Filename:  shy-threeler-acid2.flac
 Filesize:  4.84 MB
 Downloaded:  1716 Time(s)

frijitz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it's been a while, but I finally made time to make a short demo of The Threeler showing some of its chaotic and multiphonic capabilities:
http://youtu.be/I_e_8oGioM0
As you can hear, the regions are somewhat narrow, but there are quite a few interesting sounds and patterns.

Ian
softfin

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It's been a few years since I built my pair of Threelers. I had a problem back then with one of them sounding a bit different with different scaling on the resonance.

Now when I did new front panels for my Threelers, when testing them I noticed that one of them had the mode switch working totally weird. Positions 1+2 were the same and also 3+4 were the same.

So after a lot of measuring and troubleshooting I finallly found the problem: a bad DG409 chip! Fortunately I had one spare chip so I put it in. Now everything is finally working properly and both sound very similar in stereo!

If I would like to improve something on this filter, I think the input volume could be more easy to use. It gives clean sound only to about 9 o'clock. And the output could be slightly hotter.
synthcube

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

happy to reincarnate the thread to announce the upcoming availability of the Threeler VCF in euro format-- kits, assembled and PCB+panel bundles!
Check out the store for more details- special thanks to ian and clarke robinson for the collaboration!!

http://synthcube.com/cart/forums.html?route=product/product&product_id=600

we've acquired MFOS to help carry on Ray Wilson's work: www.musicfromouterspace.com
airfrankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm nearing the end of my build using a bride chamber pcbs and wondering whether I can use standard Alpha pots with lugs if I do off board wiring. If so, how would I wire it up?
Hope somebody can help.

Thanks
frijitz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

airfrankenstein wrote:
I'm nearing the end of my build using a bride chamber pcbs and wondering whether I can use standard Alpha pots with lugs if I do off board wiring. If so, how would I wire it up?
Hope somebody can help.

Thanks

Just wire it up the same way, ie just think of the wires as extra long lugs.

Ian
airfrankenstein

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you! It's so obvious . I'm sorry for not responding earlier, didn't see the mail.
airfrankenstein

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: 1m5 resistor placement doug brown suggestion Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd like to make sure the 1m5 resistor Doug Brown suggests adding is placed
as in the pic on the bride chamber pcb (placement indicated by the red dots) :

Also, can I sub a TL072 for the OPA2227 on the bride chamber pcb?

1m5 placement.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  70 KB
 Viewed:  18211 Time(s)

1m5 placement.jpg

josaka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bit of a simple question.. does anyone sell ready made 5u threeler's ?
..or is the only option to start burning myself like an idiot?
..or is that not even an option now..?
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I would ask Synthcube directly whether there are any bridechamber panels still around for it; he definitely has the PCBs....
josaka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok .. thats a plan.. Smile
airfrankenstein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The resonance pot on my build produces very little effect, operant only up to about 9 o'clock.
Is there a simple procedure/patch to test? I've tried just a square wave feeding the input and turning the resonance cw to patches with all cv inputs used and cv modulation all the way up and the pot behaves always the same way.
Could someone eventually post a sound file or better still a video of a square wave to the input while turning the res pot?

cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 10 of 10 [246 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: