electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
M185 sequencer Project - NEW PCB VERSION
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 30 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
patchdub

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding switches Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bastian wrote:
It worked! They're sending 32 1p8t and 32 2p8t sample switches.

do you have any to spare or plans to get more?

wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: building the pcb
Subject description: looking for alternatives
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bastian wrote:
I've bought a spare pcb from a forum user.
I'm sourcing the parts to populate the board but some parts are discontinued. Can someone tell me if the following parts will do instead of the old ones?

old: 2N3819 (Vishay) new: MPF102_D27Z (Fairchild)
old: 4069UB new: 4069UBE

Thanks!

I'm sure on the 4069UBE, that one will work. MPF102 is a bit different then the 2N3819. Dick Best has em.

Cheers,
Woody

Bastian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Sliding switches Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

patchdub wrote:
Bastian wrote:
It worked! They're sending 32 1p8t and 32 2p8t sample switches.

do you have any to spare or plans to get more?

I'll probably have one or two spares, but I'm still waiting for the delivery to come in. How much do you need? I can ask for a small batch of switches, they are stock items. Also waiting for the bill of the transport costs. Is there need for more of these switches at this forum?

Bastian
Bastian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: building the pcb

wmonk wrote:
Bastian wrote:
I've bought a spare pcb from a forum user.
I'm sourcing the parts to populate the board but some parts are discontinued. Can someone tell me if the following parts will do instead of the old ones?

old: 2N3819 (Vishay) new: MPF102_D27Z (Fairchild)
old: 4069UB new: 4069UBE

Thanks!

I'm sure on the 4069UBE, that one will work. MPF102 is a bit different then the 2N3819. Dick Best has em.

Cheers,
Woody

Thanks! Just found out that conrad still sells 2n3819 think i'll get some from them, farnell is my ususal supplier.
wmonk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: building the pcb

Bastian wrote:

Thanks! Just found out that conrad still sells 2n3819 think i'll get some from them, farnell is my ususal supplier.

Usually Dick Best is way cheaper here in NL. Just a suggestion! Or you could get one from me, if you've time somewhere on a weekly evening... (as I see you're from Utrecht too! ) Very Happy

Bastian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: building the pcb

wmonk wrote:
Bastian wrote:

Usually Dick Best is way cheaper here in NL. Just a suggestion! Or you could get one from me, if you've time somewhere on a weekly evening... (as I see you're from Utrecht too! ) Very Happy

Thanks! I'll drop you a pm this week when I've got some time.
Never heard of dick best, i'll check out his site. Smile
Bastian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: version confusion Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've managed to get almost all the parts. Got a V2.3 board and a V2.1 pic.

I'm a bit confused about applying which parts to get things working.
first i used BOM 2.1 and found out there was a 2.3 BOM, so i added the parts Q6, R13, R16. R19 and R21 included in the 2.3 BOM version. Then I read something about omitting these parts when using the 4066N IC as described in the V2.1 construction manual.

Right now i've build the sequencer according to the v21 construction notes 191.pdf manual, which includes 4066N. Do i need to remove Q6, R13, R16. R19 and R21 again? They are clearly visible on the picture included in the v21 construction manual, in contrast to the writing omitting them in the build.

Can anyone help me out?

Bastian
magman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Bastian,

I just happen to have finally finished my pair of M-185's in the last 2 weeks.

For the 2.1 firmware (ignore the board revision, it's not important to this part of the build), you don't need the Stage CV connection, so Q6, R13, R16. R19 and R21 are not needed. I actually desoldered mine for my 2.1 build, and used one of the transistor leg connections for one of the connections needed by the 4066 to the PIC (rather than soldering directly to the PIC's pin under the PCB).

I've attached a photo of my V2.1 build, you should be able to see where I removed the components in the bottom right corner of the main PCB and took an orange wire to the 4066.

I also built a wiring helper board for the 4066 and all of the switch resistors - then wired to the switches with Ribbon cable.

Hope this helps and feel free to shout out if you have any more issues, as this build is still quite fresh in my memory.

Regards

Magman

DSCF0008.JPG
 Description:
M-185 V2.1 Build - with wiring helper board.
 Filesize:  3.11 MB
 Viewed:  537 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DSCF0008.JPG

magman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Seeing as I've just commented on Bastian's question, I have no more excuses for not posting some more pictures of my two M-185 I finally finished this month.

This is a Version 2.1 unit using a panel from The Beast. I've probably had the panels for over 18 months, but it appears my New Years resolution is to finish a load of my modules this year, so these were prime candidates.

This is by far the most complex panel I've had to wire so far - over 200 connections on the panel alone. The switch wiring I was putting off worked out quite well when I found an old Verowire pen in one of my old component boxes. This is thin insulated wire held in something like a wire-wrap pen, you just wrap it around the connections a turn or two. The neat part is that you just solder through the wire's insulation, which also contains a flux for the joint. I only had one suspect connection across all 32 switches I wired using this method.

I made a little wiring helper board on matrix board, so that I didn't have to wire resistors directly onto some of the switches. The Version 2.1 firmware needs another IC adding anyway, so this could be located on the wiring helper as well.

I also made a hinged panel so that I could keep the wiring relatively short and used quite a bit of ribbon cabling to make things neater.

I've also got a Version 2.0 M-185 competed within a few days of this one, though this gave me a few more problems. This was diagnosed to 3 incorrect value resistors (should have been 4k7, installed 470R) and a broken track that was hiding under a resistor pad.

Time to get on with building some more panels so that I can carry on working through converting some of my completed PCB's to completed modules.

Magman

DSCF0005.JPG
 Description:
Completed M-185 panel from "The Beast"
 Filesize:  2.73 MB
 Viewed:  510 Time(s)

DSCF0005.JPG

DSCF0009.JPG
 Description:
A bit more detail of the wiring.
 Filesize:  3.09 MB
 Viewed:  528 Time(s)

DSCF0009.JPG

Bastian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

magman wrote:
Hi Bastian,

I just happen to have finally finished my pair of M-185's in the last 2 weeks.

For the 2.1 firmware (ignore the board revision, it's not important to this part of the build), you don't need the Stage CV connection, so Q6, R13, R16. R19 and R21 are not needed. I actually desoldered mine for my 2.1 build, and used one of the transistor leg connections for one of the connections needed by the 4066 to the PIC (rather than soldering directly to the PIC's pin under the PCB).

I've attached a photo of my V2.1 build, you should be able to see where I removed the components in the bottom right corner of the main PCB and took an orange wire to the 4066.

I also built a wiring helper board for the 4066 and all of the switch resistors - then wired to the switches with Ribbon cable.

Hope this helps and feel free to shout out if you have any more issues, as this build is still quite fresh in my memory.

Regards

Magman

Thanks Magman! this really cleared things up.
Nice colours on the wiring Smile

Bastian
Bastian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: got the sequencer working!
Subject description: gate noise

Well, after a weekend soldering all the wires to the board and the switches,
got things working! Had some troubles with the diversion switch but replaced this and the sequencer works as it should....

The device really is fun to create loops with! Smile

Still i've got some questions.

There is a lot of switching noise when I loop the gate out through my VCA.
When i play sawwaves you don't hear them, but when sequencing sine or triangle waves there is a lot of gate noise when chopping the notes in pieces with the VCA. Did anyone else experience this?
Any suggestions what I can do about this?

I fried my ADSR with patching the clock out /gate out back into my system. are those CV's to high to be able to do this? (did this with a Doepfer DIY synth set)

I'll post some pictures and sounds soon!
ryktnk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: got the sequencer working!
Subject description: gate noise

Bastian wrote:

I fried my ADSR with patching the clock out /gate out back into my system. are those CV's to high to be able to do this? (did this with a Doepfer DIY synth set)

I'll post some pictures and sounds soon!

Hello

Oh dear.
Please check the Clock and Gate outputs with
a scope or multimeter, they should be
10V PP

-ryk
monobass

G2 patch files: 12

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd love one of these if anyone had a pcb and pic spare Smile
OW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm really interested in building this! Does anyone have any spares, or will there be another run of PCBs and PICs?
julian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I found out yesterday that i still have 2-off 5u panels for these.

I have one for the v2.0 and one for v2.1.

Both are in silver, with buchla blue infill.

For custom cnc engraved panels see - http://www.thebeast.co.uk/cnc/

wmonk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I tried to fit screws in the switches but mine are too big Laughing
The 1P8T are M2.5, but what is the screw size of the other switch?

Cheers,
Woody

thebeast-co-uk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wmonk wrote:
I tried to fit screws in the switches but mine are too big Laughing
The 1P8T are M2.5, but what is the screw size of the other switch?

Cheers,
Woody

Not all of the sets from Ryk were identical, however, in my communications with people, there have been no holes that have not been either M2.5 or M2.

M3 is the size thats used for virtually all of the eurorack modulars (which is odd, as industrial racking, on which the format is based, uses M2.5 with carriers)

I mention the M3, as you may (or may not) have some about to test with?

Julian
Bastian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So, Finally some pictures of the finished sequencer.
Got the thing this autumn ready but had too much to do to post some pic's.
Now i've got my two MFOS vco's calibrated, it's good to go!

Made the front plate out of PMMA on a lasercutter.
Engraving is also done by the laser. Done in 2 passes, one cutting and one engraving.

Thanks ryk, for the design and development!

Bastian.

M185a.jpg
 Description:
picture 1
 Filesize:  462.75 KB
 Viewed:  1415 Time(s)

M185a.jpg

m185b.jpg
 Description:
picture2
 Filesize:  425.34 KB
 Viewed:  1379 Time(s)

m185b.jpg

delayed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A few questions:

Can you build a 2.0 version on a 2.3 PCB?

Is there a build sheet for the 2.3 PCB or is it simply the whatever version one wishes to build?

Can I get a 2.0 PIC from someone?
ryktnk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello

The PCB versions does not relate to the PIC version, sorry.

You can build 2.1 or 2.0 version on the same board.

For the 2.1 version you omit a transistor and a couple
of resistors, have a look at the DOCs on the first
page of the thread.
Also 2.1 utilise a simple daughter board with a 4066
to control the programable portamento.

Bastian !!
Looks great, really nice layout, well done.

In other news . . .
I am slowly developing a version 3 !!
which hopefully will be available this year Smile
Also a limited supply of switches should be
available.

Cheers
-ryk
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ryktnk wrote:
In other news . . .
I am slowly developing a version 3 !!
which hopefully will be available this year Smile

cool

Superb , roll on winter Smile

i use my blue M185 , i built a while back , alot in my music.

Dave.

Blue M-185.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  328.56 KB
 Viewed:  1320 Time(s)

Blue M-185.JPG

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry ryk, what does it mean when you say a version 3 may be available later this year? I'd really like to build one of these sequencers Very Happy . It's been some time since I have read all the pages of this thread. Will this include the PIC or is there some new method used now? Confused
ryktnk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
Sorry ryk, what does it mean when you say a version 3 may be available later this year? I'd really like to build one of these sequencers Very Happy . It's been some time since I have read all the pages of this thread. Will this include the PIC or is there some new method used now? Confused

Hello

There will be a new board and PIC with hopefully a new feature
and a bit simpler to build.
Also possibility of a software update for existing PICs
with a fun new split sequence feature . . .

But it is not my day job, so progress is slowwwww.

-ryk
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

party! YAY! All my Xmases have just come at once! This is excellent news indeed! Please put me down for one, thanks.
marvkaye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'd be up for a couple as well.... can't wait!!

<marv>
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 30 of 46 [1139 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, ..., 44, 45, 46 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: