electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
UltraNova
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
laura woodswalker

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: UltraNova Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!
What happens when you return from electro-music Fest? Why, G.A.S (gear acquisition syndrome) strikes again, of course!
So, it started when I suspected a malfunction in my 49-key Novation X-station. Or was it 'operator error"? Who knows? The point was, I started looking around to see what was out there. That Novation UltraNova was looking pretty good...even though it only has 37 keys. The reviews are Stellar! ("sex in a box") Wink

Of course, Guitar Center doesn't carry this synth so I can't try it out & see how great it really is. I just have to sit here online & look at Pictures of it & drool about the descriptions. And justify it to myself: "I can sell my Electribe and my Yamaha MM6." "I can buy a used one from Guitar Center's website."

Of course there is the mental Guilt Voice that says "You should focus your effort on writing better music instead of getting more gear. You don't NEED another synth. You don't even have ROOM for one! Would dear departed Mom & Dad have spent that kind of $$ on themselves? What kind of person ARE you?"

Does this happen to you folks?

robsol
Stream Operator

Audio files: 256

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: UltraNova Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

laura woodswalker wrote:
Does this happen to you folks?

All the time! Mr. Green

I recently sold off a lot of stuff to be able to afford one new piece of gear (an Elektron Machinedrum) - I like to have a compact and streamlined setup and I always plan carefully, but there is definitely a bit of gear lust involved. Even the way things look counts - after all this is a hobby.

I now consider myself extremely lucky to have the things I deamt of a few years ago and feel that I don't need anything at all. I also have no big attachment to it, after all, it's just tools to get a job done - I could do the same things (more or less - or more less, than more Razz ) with a lot more effort and time, using just a shoddy old laptop and free programs. That does not give me any guilt whatsoever. I have always been able to make do with what I have - the only difference being that I now have what I need. Guilt is useless and you should ignore it and welcome everything that the universe gives you with open arms!

Use what you have and add to it - even if you buy the "wrong" gear it will give you insight into the artform and your own approach to it. I know the feeling when you have seen something new and shiny, your old stuff looks less inpiring suddenly and it takes more effort to even switch it on. If that happens to you, ignore that as well - it is a short lived emotion and it is good to work your way through it instead of giving into it every time. Eventually you will arrive at a setup that fits your needs and works reasonably well. It is a bit like a sex partner - it can be great the first time but the real great sex only happens after you get to know each other really well. Very Happy

Some loose tips on getting more out of what you have: use a lot of effects in your computer, rerender with effects and put more effects - save as you go along and continue - reapply the same effect over and over - you will learn things and maybe get unique sounds that no-one else has... you could create your own sample library this way - then sell the synth and buy an other one second hand... get a few guitar stomp boxes - they often have loads of character and will give a dull synth new life... get a microphone and record things acoustically - i think this would suit your style well - you should get a cheap small diaphragm condenser mic - great for sampling! only get one (mono), which will simplify things a lot - once you go stereo everything gets twice as big, twice as compicated and harder to mix. Record to cassette, distort and bend the rules, rerecord over and over and see what happens, if you can be bothered...

Also consider taking some piano or singing lessons and study electronic music making (this is easy enough to do on your own) - never stop learing. For me personally the most important issue is to not become stagnant but keep on improving and getting better, and learning new stuff.

Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: