electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Arduino
Arduino Sequencer (WIP)
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Arduino Sequencer (WIP) Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is the very beginning of a larger project but as its functional, ill share it

simple, 1 is on, 0 is off, edit the patterns according to taste and use the output pins from arduino to trigger your adsr/drum module

enjoy.
(file renamed txt as forum wont allow .ino extension)

drumseqv1.txt
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  drumseqv1.txt
 Filesize:  1.39 KB
 Downloaded:  546 Time(s)

Last edited by bubzy on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:48 am; edited 1 time in total
bubzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok, so this project has grown a little since the other day,
Feature list :

Up to 32 Step Sequencer
1x CV Out approximately 7 octave range accurate divided into semitones
5x Gate out
BPM control
LCD user interface with user programmable patterns

to do :

work further on interface, need to add gate programming options : half done, more options on the way
storage of user patterns, working on SD card solution
put LEDS on stuff (what would be complete without them)
tidy up code (losing a few milliseconds here and there)
add another CV out (because 1 just isnt enough)
consider variable pattern lengths (at the moment, if sequence length is set to 16 for example, everything plays to 16, gates and notes, may be nice to offer the option of running some tracks at 8, some at 16 and so on)
option of Note Length (although im not sure how important this is)

been a busy couple of days!
stay tuned for more updates!

Last edited by bubzy on Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What kind of interface are you using? Do you have the bank-o-knobs like most sequencers, or are you doing something stranger since it's an Arduino? Does it resemble the 808?

These questions brought to you by my recent work investigating the 808 kick and trigger circuitry.

I've been thinking about something that moderately emulates the 808 interface, without being slavish about it. Lots of things to think about there though. I think the hardest part IMO is how to deal with the relatively small number of pins on a standard UNO. I have a Mega, but at twice the cost, it doesn't seem like the best platform to design for if i want other people to get anything out of it.
bubzy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://twitter.com/Bubzyg/status/247880222823809024/photo/1
heres a quick update with a pic of the gate programming screen

just an lcd interface, driven from 3 buttons and a potentiometer,

will have 2 cvs out and 6 gates, still got a copule of pins left too Smile

elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's an awesome way to do the display. I was thinking in terms of buttons with LEDs and next to LEDs, but that solves the problem pretty neatly. I think I would want two pots/rotaries that could run independently (top row, bottom row), but using the LCD that way definitely saves a LOT of trouble.

Edit: to clarify, I was thinking in terms of 16 voices (bottom row) and 16 positions (top row), selecting the voice on the bottom row and then programming the notes for that on the top.

I have a 2x20 or 22 display, that would give me a few more positions to play with extra information to one side too. Hm......
bubzy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

UPDATE:

ive built an arduino shield to go with this, it has all the connections ready to rock, also made a very temporary front panel to hold stuff in place.

got offboard EEPROM storage working too, so a possible 120 "scenes" (7x32 step data) can be stored on the chip. im likely to limit this as im not sure its totally required.

more soon. !http://twitter.com/Bubzyg/status/248382854596268032/photo/1/large

bubzy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVpNTRdf3js&list=UUBty83q-zxoOXa0h0UfLGCg&index=1&feature=plcp

heres a quick vid of the current incarnation

bubzy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

heres the new enclosure, was driving me mad using that piece of fibreboard Very Happy

A3Vty2tCEAAjS2P.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  69.29 KB
 Viewed:  297 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

A3Vty2tCEAAjS2P.jpg

bubzy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

update :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfM_vBqqHWk&feature=plcp

some code tidying, menu rearrangements. more to come Razz

bubzy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqV1GgTMw2g&list=UUBty83q-zxoOXa0h0UfLGCg&index=1&feature=plcp

update : programming patterns for cv out. the video is filmed in vertical mode again :/ sorry about that
ive noticed that because the sequencer is plugged into USB on my laptop that the cv suffers a bit(fluctuates when laptop is working). if i had any forethought at all i would have powered it externally, but im not willing to listen to my dull voice again for 7 minutes Very Happy

if anyone is watching this thread with interest..... thank you Smile

elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am Smile

Good stuff. Given me a lot to think about, and I still love that display.

My plans along these lines definitely include external power, since I hope to be able to put something into a rack eventually. As far as it goes, while I will do development with a "real" arduino, the final product will most likely use an ATMega chip on a protoboard instead, that's what I did with the Arduino port I did of the MTS-100 MIDI->CV.
bubzy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok so a small update and a request for an opinion or two, after talking to vlad in the chat today he suggested making a pattern option so that a song could be made on the sequncer, ive decided this could be implemented without too much heartache(my brain is screaming EEPROM!!!) so my question to you guys is, would this be a valuable addition to a sequencer? Thanks Smile
elmegil

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So I'm going to respond so you know I'm still reading, but I am not clear on the distinctions between the different types of sequencers....

As for EEPROM etc, how much memory are you using? When you download your sketch, are you getting "5000 of 6000 bytes" or more like 5000 of 10,000 bytes"? I don't remember the memory sizes of the various models of Arduino, but that should tell you whether you have headroom or not.
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes. At least a small memory for patterns is needed.
bubzy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, im using external memory so thats no issue. The idea is to program say 6x16 step "patterns" then choose what order they play in, kinda 303 style. So you program say 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,3,5,4,4,6 and it plays those patterns in that order. Btw im using 24lc256 memory.
bubzy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9n9WgcGOGI

new update. just a quick video of the save function.

thanks for watching Wink

the music in the background is:
Acoustic Interloper Scrabble Game from Summer Solstice 2009 Event
e-m radio on while i was recording

bubzy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this project is still alive!

ive just had to start from scratch as the old program didnt support the new functions......
anyone got a cream for feature creep? i seem to have a bad case of it :p

ashleym

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very interesting.

I made something similar for a college project and I used layers for a couple of outputs, eg pitch and filter. It outputted MIDI so I used CC numbers. Are the two Cv outputs on your for this?

bubzy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, being CV they can be used for anything that has a CV in, however they are primarily for note CV, this is due to the low resolution of the DAC (8 bit) and the rough waveforms that it produces.

in its current state the module has:
2x Note CV out
2x Note Gate out (3 state, on, off, tie)
4x Gate Out (currently only 2 state, on, off)

32x16 step patterns per channel (calling 1 gate a channel)

"song" mode allowing over 8000 steps per song by programming the 32 patterns in any order

example would be
Code:

"Bar"            1                   2                      3                      4
Note CV1         10                  12                     14                     10
Note CV2         12                  13                     4                      12
Gate 1           1                   3                      1                      4
Gate 2           2                   4                      2                      4
Gate 3          NA
Gate 4          NA

lets take Note CV1, in this "song" the sequencer would take pattern 10, and play it through, then take pattern 12 and play it, then 14, then 10 again. this is a similar method to older hardware and software (i used propellerheads rebirth a lot)
the same rule applies to Note CV2, Gate 1, Gate 2. using this method, its possible to build up multiple tracks and a performance.

anyway, still early days Smile lots of work to do and my wife has me down the garden building a fence for our new dog.....

bubzy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i haven't forgotten about this project, just lost a bit of interest. may start again soon. i still need it for my modular Smile
Page 1 of 1 [20 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Arduino
Jump to: