electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Your nordy and music..
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Axiom

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Your nordy and music.. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just curious.. for what kind of music style you all use the modular? Smile

I'm into Progressive Rock/Metal and looking forward for some dnb experiments into prog metal.

Awaiting your replies,
Luca

cebec

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 31

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi.

Great thread topic...

I use my G2 for self-education and experimentation. Any 'music' that results is purely coincidental!

On the other hand, the sounds and patches I design are usually drones or noodles. I'm interested in patches that evolve and contain the entire performance in themselves -- preferrably with further, improvised interaction.
Afro88

Audio files: 12
G2 patch files: 79

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice thread.

I use my G2 for progressive breaks and experiementation. When not doing breaks, I stuff around with ambient sort of tracks, or just weird weird songs that no one will ever hear Laughing

The G2 usually does fx sounds and chord stabby stuff, and sometimes bass. I usually use my Evolver for bass and fx, and my K5k for pads and other ambient textures.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Noodles, that is I make the synth work and I listen and throw in new stuff that is missing, remove things that don't fit and shape things that are not right. And I try to automate some variation into it so that in the end I just listen.

And wave clays (sculpturing with a wave editor), but that has got nothing to do with the G2 really. Although sometimes I create some basic sounds for the clays with the G2 almost any sound will do as a starting point here.

Jan.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like to create hard core electronic sounds, not stuff with drums or fake drums though. Long evolving sounds and textures, often with very simple patches with lots of FM cross modulation and heavily modulated filters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The stuff I'm doing in recent years is mellow ethereal instrumental stuff, sometimes with a little influence from non-western music. The patches range from big fat analog, to acoustic instrument emulations like sitars, to rich, spacy swirly sounds. I have thirteen synths in the studio, but the finished pieces usually end up being about 80% NM1 & G2.

You can hear some snippets of my stuff here on electro-music.com at the "store". Click on the CD titled "Endo-Spectra". There are some one-minute clips at the bottom of the page. Feel free to buy a copy if you like it. Support the arts, dammit! Smile

I also do a bit of big bombastic film score stuff. Most recent was a score for a lesbian vampire film, with all the typical scary noises and somber strings. Fun gig!

BTW - regarding the first post, I played synths in progressive metal bands in Hollywood for many years, but that was before I had the Nords. I was using the typical giant pile 'o synths - Arps, Moogs, Oberheims, etc. I hated lugging it all around, but it was a lot of fun!

tranzash

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

davep wrote:
The patches range from big fat analog, to acoustic instrument emulations like sitars

Slightly OT, Davep, Can you post some of your sitar emulation patches of G2? Smile

I play with the G2 pretty much for everything.
davep

Audio files: 10
G2 patch files: 73

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tranzash wrote:
davep wrote:
The patches range from big fat analog, to acoustic instrument emulations like sitars

Slightly OT, Davep, Can you post some of your sitar emulation patches of G2? Smile

Sorry, The sitar sound on the "Endo-Spectra" CD was done on a NM1, not G2. It is a pair of patches, one for the drone, one for the lead. The patches are called Sitar Low Drone.pch and Sitar High Lead.pch. They should be in the NM1 patch archives. Load them together in two slots.

I did make a somewhat similar G2 patch which emulates a hammered dulcimer (also called the santur or cymbalom). Variation 1 sounds most like the dulcimer, variation 4 sounds more like a sitar, but not as accurate as the NM1 sitar. I'll post it in the G2 Patches section.

General Elektrick

Audio files: 1
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I do house and downbeat stuff with my project telescope, snippet to be heard
are here: http://www.combination-rec.de/forums.html?id=76

I sometimes do silent movie soundtracks live, the nords are terrific for that purpose!

And as the g2 is the king of noodle synth - noodles, there are some in the archives.

I think it is fun to see what everybody is doing with his synth.

"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.
mother misty

Audio files: 82
G2 patch files: 130

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use it mainly to make IDM and really weird experimental stuff
(a G2 seems to be perfect for these kind of things Smile

I also use it for some sideprojects I do
minimalistic dub/house with lots of noise & clicks (think jan jellinek)
& some electro stuff...
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Currrently mainly lots and lots of realy messed up glitched out mutated forms of Karplus-Strong which I then treat using guitar effects. It sounds like metal beams and glass-shards pulled through a black hole, then sampled to a SK-1, I like that :¬).
Wan

G2 patch files: 46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use it live to play music of Frank Zappa in a rockband. And at home i use it to fool around with modules, and to listen to the patches made by list members and learn something about synthesis.
Tim Kleinert

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 236

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use the G2 as a "sonic swiss army knife", meaning: a tool that can be made to do almost anything you want to. It's not my favourite soundwise (14 bit delays, oscillator aliasing, the "Nord" sound, etc.), but its versatility and ease of use keep me solidly hooked. It's an indispensable tool.

Currently I'm using it for a small tour with a major pop artist in our country. Some songs rely on heavily produced electronic stuff which cannot be performed live with conventional keyboard performance methods. For those songs, I patched together drumloops that go out to the headphone monitor of our drummer and serve as a clicktrack for him. This enables me to sync up filter LFOs, delays, sequencers and whatever is needed in the song. Works very nice and is very reliable.

Otherwise I used the G2 to study waveguide-based physical modelling (suspended since finding out about the 14 bit delays Sad ), as a tool to experiment with new ways of thinking about sound and its parametrisation (eg. my AdditiveSynth patch in the patch archive, "synth" subsection), and generally just as something to doodle around when bored Smile

I think it's a great achievement in terms of unifying modular complexity and user-friendliness. In terms of sound, less so, but that's just me...

I once heard about a dork who owns a real Moog modular, but still prefers the G2 to that Twisted Evil ...but maybe that's just a rumour. Very Happy Twisted Evil
General Elektrick

G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shoshin wrote:

I once heard about a dork who owns a real Moog modular, but still prefers the G2 to that Twisted Evil ...but maybe that's just a rumour. Very Happy Twisted Evil

Nope, I have seen this written down on this list Laughing

"If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all." --John Cage.
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shoshin wrote:

Shocked

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

shoshin wrote:

Hmm.. never heard of the guy..

But personally I prefer the NM-1 ( G-1 ) to the Roland 100m/ Roland 700, the Formant, the ARP 2600 and the Synthi-A.. hmm.. and the PS-3100 and the Polymoog. This is no rumour.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
mosc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy
Kassen
Janitor
Janitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
shoshin wrote:

Hmm.. never heard of the guy..

But personally I prefer the NM-1 ( G-1 ) to the Roland 100m/ Roland 700, the Formant, the ARP 2600 and the Synthi-A.. hmm.. and the PS-3100 and the Polymoog. This is no rumour.

Me too, never used a Roland, but I did use a ARP 2500, various Synthis and prefer the Nord. Serge is a different matter though......

Axiom

G2 patch files: 28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think that Clavia gear can act as drug Smile Is addictive. Prior to buy my little nordy, I had two Kurzweils... well dude, since i've bougth the micro g1, i'm spending so much time with it then my kurzies. Smile
King Rat

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use my G2 in a rock band to add some Floyd-esque sounds, pads to create big soundscapes, and some tempo-synched sequencer and arpeggiated sounds (with the Nord as MIDI clock slave to a drum machine which also sends a click to our drummer).
I actually don't know much about synths having only had a piano before, but given that the last time I opened a science text book was when I was about 15, the G2 is incredibly easy to patch. I'm sure there's lots I'm missing, but it suits my needs. It's great for tweaking patches to automate certain functions and effects to free up hands for playing another keyboard. There don't seem to be many puzzles you can't solve with a few switches and logic modules.
Robby

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: My music Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ethno-electro downtempo fusion.

Speaking of "the guy who owns a Moog Modular & still prefers the G2..."

See that picture next to my name? That's my 3-panel Serge modular.
It's great. It sounds fantastic. I spend hours putting a patch together,
record something onto my hard disc & then start on the next patch.

What's great about this: there is no patch memory or
pre-canned sounds or factory presets - you can never
get exactly the same sound twice.

That's also what sucks about it.
Also, it's pretty well useless live.
It's a great studio tool, though.

I bought the G2 because I was looking at getting a frequency-shifter
module for the Serge, and saw that the G2 A> had a frequency shifter
module and analog IO, and B> was cheaper than 1 good analog FS
module for the Serge.

Anyway, I've been pleasantly surprised.
The G2 really is better than the Serge for some things.

Right now I spend more time on the G2, but that's because I've had
many years to get to know the Serge and only months with the G2.
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, a Serge.

I thought it was a photo of a prototyping breadboard Embarassed

So you use the two in combination?
Robby

G2 patch files: 6

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: G2 & Serge Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't actually patched the two together yet, although
that possibility was a reason for picking up the G2.

All the stuff I wanted the FS for I wound up doing on just
the G2 - that was mostly for processing non-synthetic audio.

Every track I've made since I got the G2 has both
Serge & G2 on it, though. So yes, I use them together.
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cebec says:

Quote:
I use my G2 for self-education and experimentation.

For me it's the same thing. I didn't play with synthesizers since I left school, but they always faszinated me. So, I invested the G2 because I can/have:
a) transform sounds with the Audio Ins
b) I have the typical synth sounds
c) I can learn patching
d) I can use it to control my other gear.

And I liked the Editor more than the ones of soft Synthesizers like MAX/MSP or Tassman, but I like the idea of editing on the computer and playing with hardware (I'm a pianist after all).

All these things together justified my decision to invest this money, it wouldn't have been cheaper any other way.

I can create the sounds I like, which I can't use commercially, and I can play gigs with all sorts of music to earn some money. All in one machine!
duracell

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I put up my first video of the G2 in use live (the other ones are micromodular). You can't see the G2, it's on top of the marshall stack, racked back to front, but you can hear it! There are no effects on the sound, the G2 goes straight into the amp.

http://andrediamant.free.fr/duracell

(it's the first video on the page, the one at barden's boudoir)

The video documents part of a concert at barden's boudoir in London. The songs played are bits from classic amiga videogame music space harrier and turrican.

andrew
Page 1 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: