electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Suggested Sources
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Suggested Sources
Subject description: Looking for good prices for good stuff
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

My usual source for stripboards turns out to provide ones that are smaller than I need for several things. I'm sure I could find bigger ones but I'm curious if anyone has a particular bargain source.

I'm also looking for somewhere I could find a kit of C0G through hole capacitors instead of just buying sets of single values. Mouser has been no help on this, though perhaps my search mojo is just lacking. I can find surface mount, but that really doesn't do me much good Smile

In trade, I offer bulkwire.com: http://www.bulkwire.com/wire-cable/stranded-hookup-wire-300v-ul-1007-1569.html Very nice prices compared to the big boys (Mouser et al). Maybe it's old news for many, but I just ran across it on Muff's tonight, and I'm glad because I've been needing to get some additional hookup wire....
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know about you yankees, but Rapid has good prices for the UK:
http://www.rapidonline.com
Find below a link to prototyping boards, both bread and strip varieties Smile
http://www.rapidonline.com/Tools-Equipment/PCB-Equipment/PCB-Prototyping-Boards

I get things from Spiratronics if buying in smaller quantities as the lower postage often means it is cheaper than rapid;
http://spiratronics.com/pcb-hardware-and-enclosures/pcb-equipment/pcb-prototyping-boards.html

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Joe Smile
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After poking around on this side of the pond I found, obviously enough, www.veroboard.com Smile

Their prices are comparable (after conversion), and I won't have to worry about UK->US shipping, which I've found lately tends to be VERY slow (had that experience with Farnell a while back, and again with a personal shipment that took from mid August to late September to reach me).

They also have a 15% off coupon code for the remainder of October: W1E8DJ1A2N
marvkaye

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've bought stripboard from this guy on Ebay, has been pleasant to work with, has reasonable prices and a nice selection. Wish I'd remembered sooner for you... maybe tuck it away for future reference.

As for wire, I buy all mine at Skycraft surplus in Orlando... they have a crappy website but if you call them they'll take phone orders. Let me know what you're after wire-wise and I could stop by and see what their current stash looks like. Just to give you an idea, I buy PVC coated 24ga stranded for around 3c/foot, PTFE is a bit more, but it's been awhile since I've been there so I'm not sure about that cost. I'd be happy to stop by, get you some prices purchase some spools on your behalf and ship them up to you if you like. PM me if you're interested.

<marv>
corex

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Futurlec has good prices on perf and strip. I loaded up on the perf a while back.

http://www.futurlec.com/Protoboards.shtml
marvkaye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just a quick follow-up... I stopped by Skycraft yesterday to pick up some 28ga wire w/ PVC insulation (needed some small diameter wire for several projects) along with some other stuff. I bought what was left on a large spool (one of several in white, they also had 25-30 more spools in that gauge, all different colors), which they transferred to a small one for me, and paid 2.5c/ft (173 feet for $4.33). I checked their current price for 22ga w/ PTFE insulation, learned it was 13c/ft, with a 10% discount for 100-499 feet and 15% for 500 feet +. FWIW

<marv>
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I assume 22ga with pvc is cheaper? I do some/mostly hand twisting and I understand that's harder with ptfe....
marvkaye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yep, 22ga PVC is 5c/ft, drops to 4c @ 100 and 3c @ 500. AND, if you know the right guy you can get him to combine lengths of different colors of the same gauge for discount purposes. I have lotsa rolls of 20 and 24, plus 3 rolls of 18 for power from there. They also have very inexpensive 20,22,24ga tinned bus wire.

Speaking of hand twisting... you don't mean that you actually twist pairs & triples by hand, do you? Chucking the wires into a drill is the only way to twist up wires as far as I'm concerned...... I'm sure that's what you mean, right???... Wink

<marv>
elmegil

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have yet to do a length sufficient to make it worth twisting with a drill.

Not to mention, I think I'd be out of wire very fast if I did do enough, with the 25ft rolls I currently have. Then what would I use for singletons? Very Happy

Once I have longer spools available, that will likely change....
marvkaye

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I understand completely. When I'm in a twisty mood I make up batches of 6ft pairs and triples, stick them aside and then consume them as required. I'm way ahead of the game wire-wise, as I've been shopping at Skycraft for years, picking up a spool every other trip or so, have wound up with quite a collection.

<marv>
parasat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got my last batch through Amazon, they sell Veroboard stripboard for the same prices as Veroboard.com, but with Amazon's free shipping for $25 purchase, as opposed to Veroboard.com's $49 (for US customers, $29 for Canadian).
elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shipping for me wasn't QUITE that bad, but there you go. Free is definitely better. I thought I had looked at amazon a long while ago, but I'll have to try that again...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: