electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
the absolute beginners thread
Page 6 of 6 [145 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Totally awesome! I really like the idea of a wearable lunetta band, Stanley Lunetta must be proud.

I can totally recommend the slacker melodygenerator as a good next project. But really the best thing to do is to get a breadboard and experiment. Build a few circuits, get familiar with the cmos ic's and the lunetta way of thinking and just go from there.

Maybe this might work well as a hat?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXO6gzsD6xo

noise
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

You've brought my Sid And Marty Krofft nightmares to life. I will never be the same again! You're H.R. Puffnsynth salut

Keep up the great work!

Tomoroh Hidari

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wow, finally made it trhough this thread!
very helpful and inspirational. thanks!
so far i've tried a few lunetta circuits on breadboard... working on getting something built...

found an old joystick and working on building a quad 40106 osc in it.
two oscs controlled by the x+y axis of the joystick (both 100k slide-potis), two oscs by two pots I plan to place in the space of two pusbuttons and vol. by a third (allready built-in) pot...
i'm thinking of using the pushbuttons on the joystick (2) for the following -
1 switches off the gating of oscs 2+4 by 1+3 (yeah, that's part of the plan too)
2 switches off audio-out

since these are normal off switches, though, i'll have to do the switching via 4066s and inverters, though, which I yet have to figure out fully how to.

any ideas/criticism/peer-review?
cheers, th

http://tomorohhidari.bandcamp.com
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

schmelfhelp wrote:
Here is 555 tone generator with a 567 ring modulator/noise maker built
into a costume.

was just about to mention it would go well with the bustle synth (and the synthkini Wink),
but I see that's yours too Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tjookum

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just had someone on youtube ask for a more detailed schematic of the 4069 LFO since there is some confusion surrounding the parts involved. Please feel free to spread this around, just let me know if you made any cool stuff with it!

CD4069UBE supersimple LFO.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.08 KB
 Viewed:  24889 Time(s)

CD4069UBE supersimple LFO.png

noise
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I see it has to be a particular model of 4069...any idea if it works with other forms of inverters (dual connected NANDs, things with Schmitt Triggers in them?)
tjookum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've only seen 4069 and 4049 being used in linear applications, I don't think other cmos ic's will work.

My entire experience with cmos is based on trial and error, maybe some of the other forum members is willing to explain why it has to be the 4069UBE?

noise
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

you can use any non-buffered (and depending on the situation, buffered) non-schmitt trigger inverting logic for linear operation. that means 4001, 4011, 4009 etc. of course you can also use the 'building block' ic the 4007.

4001 and 4011 are pretty interchangeable when i was building analog drums i swapped between the 4011 and 4001 with no problem.

maybe this would be of help understanding the difference:
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/scha004/scha004.pdf

basically buffered has extra inverters buffering somewhere in the circuit, where as unbuffered has just the gate. so for a 4011 buffered will have the NAND gate and some buffering on the input or output, depending on the manufacturer. an unbuffered 4011 will only have the NAND.

that TI link is an interesting read, i would suggest it if you want to get serious about this stuff..
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool, thank you for the reference.
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not exactly a beginner any more, but with this famous 4069 circuit, I feel like one. I've tried to build it several times. Now I finally got some actual CD4069UBE's, but they don't seem to work any better than the particular model I had before. I built the circuit exactly as in the one posted above by tjookum. The triangle is not smooth, there are glitches where the wave falls or rises vertically, which is audible as a click at lower frequencies.

In the scope shot below, the bottom horizontal trace is just to show where the actual ground is (notice the approx. +3.5 V DC offset!).

Ultimately, I'm looking for a cheap (low-parts count) triangular very LFO I can feed some "vactrols" (opto-isolators) with.

James.

CD4069UBE_trianglish_wave-sm.jpg
 Description:
Scope shot for CD4069UBE triangle wave circuit.
 Filesize:  21.34 KB
 Viewed:  24695 Time(s)

CD4069UBE_trianglish_wave-sm.jpg

Psyingo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad wrote:
I'm not exactly a beginner any more, but with this famous 4069 circuit, I feel like one. I've tried to build it several times. Now I finally got some actual CD4069UBE's, but they don't seem to work any better than the particular model I had before. I built the circuit exactly as in the one posted above by tjookum. The triangle is not smooth, there are glitches where the wave falls or rises vertically, which is audible as a click at lower frequencies.

In the scope shot below, the bottom horizontal trace is just to show where the actual ground is (notice the approx. +3.5 V DC offset!).

Ultimately, I'm looking for a cheap (low-parts count) triangular very LFO I can feed some "vactrols" (opto-isolators) with.

James.

Tjookums schematic is meant for 5 volt operation.you will need to tweak values for different supplies. I have schematic for 12v and 9v somewhere if you'd like.
RingMad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Psyingo wrote:
Tjookums schematic is meant for 5 volt operation.you will need to tweak values for different supplies. I have schematic for 12v and 9v somewhere if you'd like.

Oh yes, 9V please. I forgot to mention that's what I was using. The schematic did say it will work up to 12V.

James.
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

well, it does 'work' but not the way it should.
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

heres the 9v one, or 12v. R8 may need to be adjusted a bit. but its pretty good as is.

the output will never quite be rail to rail, it'll always float above ground and below +v. you would have to remove the offset and run it into an amp to get it to be full swing.

if you want this to be an LFO C1 should be larger.
tjookum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you psyingo for providing a lot of additional info.

I did notice in my limited experiments that the R8 and R9 resistance ratio is crucial when working with different voltages. That's why I altered the original by scott gravenhorst to my preferred 5v.

And thanks RingMad, I think that scope image shows very clearly the problem some are having with this circuit. I've used it on several drone type circuits and I've discovered it's very hard to make a pure triangle wave with linear cmos. But as everything wich involves the lunetta way of thinking, I considder it a feature Smile.

I hope psyingo's schematic works for you(and others who need it at 9v).

noise
RingMad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks a lot, Psyingo! I finally get a nice triangle out of the 4069 on 9V!

This also works quite well as a VLFO (Very Low Frequency Oscillator). With an approx. 4700uF cap in there, I get around 17 minutes per cycle (approx. 0.001 Hz), which is what I was aiming for! And it's quite smooth. With a bit of DC shifting, this should work quite well for my application.

James.
Psyingo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice.glad it worked. And yeah it handles low frequency pretty well
Musica_En_Fuego

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Fiddling with the 4040 + 555 to make some crazy noise.
Subject description: Making weird noise.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

After building my goto 555 timer toy organ from the Forrest Mims mini engineer's book and looking at stomczak's pinout for the 4040. I mixed the two to make some unusual noise. After a bit of poking around, I managed to make some interesting sounds.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/aGPdvk2xBbKXcK5c8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/L6aVN2KpiW2sE3uo7
Steveg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome, great job there!
You'll find plenty of extra audible bling here!
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

tjookum wrote:
I've only seen 4069 and 4049 being used in linear applications, I don't think other cmos ic's will work.

My entire experience with cmos is based on trial and error, maybe some of the other forum members is willing to explain why it has to be the 4069UBE?

4069UB and UBE work better because of the internal construction of the chip. The buffered version has 3 inverters in series per gate where the UB gates are just one inverter structure. Each inverter is a pair of CMOS transistors. Look at the datasheets for both B and UB versions and you'll see this.

In the case of the buffered ones, the gain of the circuit when the input is at (Vdd-Vss)/2 is extremely high which improves noise immunity and increases the switching speed. The extra gain makes using it as a linear amplifier more touchy.

As for why the triangle doesn't have perfectly straight ramps like an opamp would have, it is mainly because even the unbuffered (UB) chips exhibit highest gain when the input is (Vdd-Vss)/2. It isn't nearly as bad as the buffered ones though.

When I first did this circuit for my Fatman, I saw this effect on my oscope, but I didn't care and liked the fact that it's slightly curved instead of dead straight. The ramp is actually a spline shape. This can actually be abused a bit more to make a waveform something like a sine, though also not perfect. Using some simple linear amplifiers to "waveshape" the LFO would exaggerate the spline curve effect to the degree that the point can be made to almost disappear into a curved top/bottom like a sine.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Page 6 of 6 [145 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: