electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  PHOBoS presents Sim Biosys (EM mix)
  PHOBoS Tales of the Golden Teacher
  PHOBoS presents Music by HrastProgrammer (feat. Terence McKenna)
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
How do I match FETs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:47 pm    Post subject:  How do I match FETs? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have 20x 2SK30 A-GR FETs, I need to find the 6 closest matches from them for a Roland 172 phaser I'm building. Anyone have a schematic or PCB/Stripboard/Breadboard layout for a FET matcher?

Thanks in advance...

analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't tried it myself yet, but Geofex have an article and simple circuit for doing this:

http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/fetmatch/fetmatch.htm

If you try it, let me know if it works because there are some phaser circuits that I'd like to try out.

Gary
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

analog_backlash wrote:
I haven't tried it myself yet, but Geofex have an article and simple circuit for doing this:

If you try it, let me know if it works because there are some phaser circuits that I'd like to try out.

Gary

I saw that but have no idea what VMID or VGS mean.. I was hoping someone would have something more understandable to build from. Some kind of layout preferably...

diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Vmid = half the supply voltage in the example shown its 4.5v from the 9V supply
Vgs = gate to source voltage the value you wish to match between devices

as good an answer as any
analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY

Looking back over your previous posts, I was a bit surprised that with your building history, that you didn't understand the terms Vmid and Vgs. I then thought about it a bit and realised that I was in the same situation when I first started DIY music electronics. I would build circuits from a schematic (or even better, from a kit) and have no idea whatsoever of how they worked.

At some stage, I started to try to understand electronics and I'm still very much low on the learning curve. There are plenty of posts on this web site which go way over my head still. What I would say though, is that the more you learn about electronics, the easier it gets to fault find when a circuit doesn't work and also allows you to improve/modify other people's circuits.

Going back to the testing FETs question, I'm having vague thoughts about how to produce an easy to use FET matcher. I suppose that it would be possible to duplicate the earlier circuit and run both the outputs into a comparator. The output of the comparator would then depend on the relative magnitudes of Vgs(FET 1) and Vgs(FET 2) and with a bit more electronics there could be LED indication when the two were very close (using a window comparator). However, the whole thing would have to be set up so that the outputs of the the 2 initial FET testing circuits give (almost) exactly the same results for a given FET, or else the result would be meaningless.

Ray Wilson has done this kind of thing for BJTs, but I've never seen a FET equivalent:

Link removed, as it didn't work for some reason, but it's on the MFOS site under Synth DIY 101/Transistor Matching 101.

This will give me something else to think about...

Gary
frequencycentral

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

analog_backlash wrote:

Gary

The GEOFEX FET matching fixture is all you need IMO. I haven't built the 172 phaser, but I have built many many phaser pedals, you may find a set matched close to Vgs of -1.6V will do the job.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: