electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
What audio interface do you use to record your Andromeda ?
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jaffakid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: What audio interface do you use to record your Andromeda ?
Subject description: Help info please
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there,

I'm new here but I'm in need of advice as to a good card/audio interface that will enable me to record my A6 to its true clarity. Up till now I've been using an EMU 0404 usb to record through to my computer, but when i process the audio signal from my A6 through it just ends up sounding fairly flat and lifeless, not anything like how it sounds when i play it directly through my hifi technics amplifier. Any recommendations as to what sort of audio interfaces would greatly improve this predicament and allow me to maintain the andromeda's high quality sound?
What do people here have/use?
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to the forum!

I use RME Babyface. Good quality prosumer soundcard.

Haven´t tried your EMU soundcard myself, but after a quick check with google it looks OK.

Are you sure it´s the soundcard that is the problem?

Assuming you are not doing high level recording projects on Abbey Road Studios (and if you were, you probably wouldn´t ask your question), today IMHO most dedicated outboard soundcards like that should be good enough for most prosumer uses, really. Can´t see any reason why your Andromeda should sound particularly flat and lifeless using that soundcard.

How about your speakers and the room environment, are those things optimized for listening to the sound from the soundcard?

As always, your miles may vary. Cheers!

All A6 programming pros, don´t hesitate to put together your best patches and make them available on the Internet! If you´d like to charge a reasonable fee for others to download them, that is fine by me! The more attention and patches and community for the Andromeda, the better!
jaffakid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for the welcome;-)

My speakers and room setup is good enough for me, I mean as I said the Andromeda sounds fine when played normally through my stereo system's technic amp, its just with the soundcard I have problems, it lacks space and dynamism, both low end and high end seem stifled and lack the grandeur of it played through my stereo system.
The RME Babyface card could be a good way to go when I buy a new card, which I'm looking to do. I've heard nothing but great things about RME cards.
I had wondered if possibly I was recording in mono- I have the andromeda's 2 main outputs running through the 2 input channels on my emu. You'll have to forgive me as I'm not very technical lol.
purpurkatten

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Of course you want to hear "the grandeur" of the Andromeda! Very Happy

You would have to be more detailed in your description of your problem, and how your gear is set up, I can´t see the whole picture from here.

Maybe you could get some help from people at a music shop nearby? Especially if you bought this far from cheap synth from them...

All A6 programming pros, don´t hesitate to put together your best patches and make them available on the Internet! If you´d like to charge a reasonable fee for others to download them, that is fine by me! The more attention and patches and community for the Andromeda, the better!
sunny pedaal

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i use rme fireface 400
very satisified by it
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lnyx Hilo

It is the most transparent converter for the money IMO.
All the converter tests back this up. It can hang with the mega buck mastering grade converters Cool

This was recorded with the Hilo today

jaffakid

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lots of helpful info here, thanks guys.

I wondered if you could tell me you're setup chain to record your a6, im not very technical so you will have to excuse me.
My current set up chain is

A6-Main Speakers output to line in on my emu 0404, i dont have any pre amps or mixer in the chain, just straight into my sound card's line In.
CoolColJ

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Audio out to interface pretty much for me
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome !

that's oke.
when you have a good reverb in the computer, ( like the lexicon or so type ) you might want the dry a6 signal out by the aux outputs.
otherwise it's good like this.
and don't leave the autotune on all the time, temptune is oke, the a6 sound better that way
great synth indeed
MATLESTAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi There
I posted a similar post a while back and have the same problem. A few people including Sunny tried to help but i never resolved it. I had a Saffire 6 £ 150 pretty low end and thought it may be the problem so i upgraded to a Tc studioKonnect 48 £900 ish but i still have the same problem.

Through my speakers when its playing "live" it sounds amazing but as soon as i record into Logic via inputs 1&2 on the TC it loses the lushness of the sound. It still sounds good but its as if its losing bass AND top and as you say sounds a bit flat.
Ive tried recording at different levels and always keep it around the -12db which i learned from the last time but its still lacking sparkle. aaarghhhh!
Did you get anywhere with this??
sunny pedaal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1 why not go to rme at once ?
2 are you sure the daw is set to at least 24bit 48khz, when lower espec 16 bit, at -12 db ( i always go at least -6db anyway ) you will hear the difference.
3 digital isn't always 100% accurate it seems
soundwave106

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Echo the 24 bit... the 96kHz to me is probably irrelevant, but the greater headroom and fidelity of 24 bit seems to actually make a difference to my ears. Less in the pure playback of a single track, versus mixing and applying plugin FX etc. -- seems "cleaner" to my ears (and there's some science data to back that up from what I've read as far as the arithmetic goes). I always record at 24/96 now.

Apart from that, do make sure to optimize playback environment. Your ears can be fooled by different levels between playback vs. recording, and also suboptimal speaker placement easily.

For the record, I record everything into a RME Fireface 800. Monitoring system currently is a Yamaha HS50M pair with Yamaha HS10W subwoofer. DAW currently is Reaper.
Astral

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I use the RME UFX, then I use the 8 mono outs to the UFX's 8 mono in. Sounds awesome!
rh2y

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was using a Presonus Firebox up until a few weeks ago when it let out the magic smoke. I opened up the box, and there was shredded electrolytic capacitor all over the inside.

So now I am looking for a new interface. I'm stingy, so I'm looking at the Mackie Onyx Blackbird versus the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Russ

Shameless-er plug: http://www.evatontechnologies.com/

Music: https://atomstomolecules.bandcamp.com/releases
MATLESTAR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Recording the A6 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jaffakid... did you get anywhere with this?? as i said before im not getting the same results when i record into logic to what i hear " live" thru the speakers and its driving me nuts!!!
Let me know please, cheers mate
Page 1 of 1 [15 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Alesis Andromeda
Jump to: