electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
STM32F4 Discovery (Arm).
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
telbonic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: STM32F4 Discovery (Arm). Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This little beast of a board weighs in at just under £10 in the UK, pretty much being given away.

Take a look: http://www.st.com/jp/evalboard/product/252419.jsp

I'm wondering what use it is to the community & have been messing around getting 12 bit sines / ramps by messing around with one of the examples, but I'm flailing around in the dark really - it's a hell of a step up from writing arduino code thats for sure.

I've got a couple of toolchains up and running, coocux & atollic truestudio, and I've seen some awesome examples out there but can find little in the way of real guidance on programming it.

I just wondered if anyone else had taken a look at them with a view to adding them into the mix..
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: STM32F4 Discovery (Arm). Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

telbonic wrote:
This little beast of a board weighs in at just under £10 in the UK, pretty much being given away.

I'm wondering what use it is to the community & have been messing around getting 12 bit sines / ramps by messing around with one of the examples, but I'm flailing around in the dark really - it's a hell of a step up from writing arduino code thats for sure.

I've got a couple of toolchains up and running, coocux & atollic truestudio, and I've seen some awesome examples out there but can find little in the way of real guidance on programming it.

I just wondered if anyone else had taken a look at them with a view to adding them into the mix..

Just bought one of these for a data acquisition class that I'm taking.
http://www.futurlec.com/STM32_Development_Board.shtml

$40- is a steal, but the compilers that come with the board only support 32k of ram (out of 128k).

10 years ago microcontroller dev boards less powerful would have cost
close to $1000

telbonic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: STM32F4 Discovery (Arm). Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
..., but the compilers that come with the board only support 32k of ram (out of 128k).

close to $1000

Try this one:

http://www.coocox.org/index.html

Supports the onboard debugger & allows use of the full board.
cappy2112

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: STM32F4 Discovery (Arm). Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

telbonic wrote:
cappy2112 wrote:
..., but the compilers that come with the board only support 32k of ram (out of 128k).

close to $1000

Try this one:

http://www.coocox.org/index.html

Supports the onboard debugger & allows use of the full board.

THanks- but it looks like this is a different board..

Quote:
Cookie is an open-source Arduino-compatible ARM prototyping platform

telbonic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: STM32F4 Discovery (Arm). Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:

THanks- but it looks like this is a different board..

Cookie is an open-source Arduino-compatible ARM prototyping platform

I'll admit the Cookie board is an arduino "format" board with a cortex bolted on, but CookieIDE isn't...next paragraph down:

"A new and highly-integrated software development environment for ARM Cortex M4, M3 and M0 based microcontrollers, which includes all the tools necessary to develop high-quality software solutions in a timely and cost effective manner."
cappy2112

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: STM32F4 Discovery (Arm). Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cappy2112 wrote:
telbonic wrote:

Just bought one of these for a data acquisition class that I'm taking.
http://www.futurlec.com/STM32_Development_Board.shtml

$40- is a steal, but the compilers that come with the board only support 32k of ram (out of 128k).

close to $1000

I have to retract my statement on the compilers that came with the microcontroller. At least one of the compilers that came with the board does support the full 128k memory map.

JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know I'm a bit late to this party, but it's a party that never ends...

I've been looking for a more advanced, but inexpensive platform for DSP work than a dsPIC. ST has new discovery boards, some of which contain an ARM Cortex-M7 that has DSP and FPU. I'm a bit underwhelmed by the ARMs they've chose though, but the ST website isn't very helpful IMO at finding what I want. I've also looked at Atmel ATSAMS70N20 which is an ARM Cortex-M7 with FPU and DSP (and the FPU supports both double and single precision floats). It's maximum clock speed is 300 MHz, where the best I saw from the Discovery board line was 216 MHz. However, I've not found development boards for this IC. (Note that it is the same IC used in the Tsunami Super WAV Trigger board).

I'm looking for a development board because it is tested and known to work and it would be beneficial for a synth designer to have a decent audio codec already available on the dev board.

Of course, free and useful tools would also be top of list.

Anyone out there have ideas about this?

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got the board now. For anyone else looking to use this board (STM32F746G), it needs a USB A to mini-B cable for both power and ST-LINK (the way you program and debug the board). The cable does not come with the board, so I had to order one and now I am waiting for it. It does not have a MIDI port on the board, so I've ordered a blank shield board (from Adafruit) for Arduino Uno V3 because it has the proper spacing for pins so that it will plug directly into the Discovery board. I will solder a 6N138 to the board and connect it to the UART that is available on the Arduino Uno V3 connector. This will give me hardware MIDI input for synthesizer projects on the board.

corruptio optimi pessima
VA1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

With a 6N137 you can have 10K pullup resistor instead of 330 ohm, officially 280 ohm.
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

VA1 wrote:
With a 6N137 you can have 10K pullup resistor instead of 330 ohm, officially 280 ohm.

I'm curious, does 6N137 work with 3.3 volts? I had 6N138 fail with 3.3 volts. Works fine with 5 volts. H11L1 works with 3.3 volts. dsPIC is a 5 volt chip, but the STM32F and STM32H CPUs use 3.3 volts.

corruptio optimi pessima
VA1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dont STM32 has 5v tollerant chips ?
For MIDI i only use 5v as in my schematic so i dont know if it works on 3,3v.
VA1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

By the way for a 6N138 you also need a 10K pull down resistor on pin 7, for the 137 you dont need that.
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

They do have some pins that can be set for 5 volt tolerance. I just looked at the 2 pins I selected for USARTs though and there is no selection for 5 volt. This is using the STM32CubeMX program to set the I/O pins. If there is a way to use 5 volt tolerance with USART I/O, it might be some hand edited code thing. One could probably find it on the ST fora, but since 3.3 volt optoisolators are available and I have a tube it's easier for me to use those rather than worry about connecting to an non 5 volt tolerant pin and blow the chip.

For me, glue resistors like pull ups and down are so inexpensive I just don't worry about them.

corruptio optimi pessima
VA1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ofcourse maybe you did forget becus it failed just wanted to note you.

I readed that STM32H7 does have pin select, so you can choose anything on any pin,
weird that you say you dont have it.
I,m having my board soon and find out.

What resistors are you using for a 3,3v MIDI input ?
For 5volt its 220 ohm.
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

VA1 wrote:
Ofcourse maybe you did forget becus it failed just wanted to note you.

I readed that STM32H7 does have pin select, so you can choose anything on any pin,
weird that you say you dont have it.
I,m having my board soon and find out.

What resistors are you using for a 3,3v MIDI input ?
For 5volt its 220 ohm.

I checked the forum at ST and the Nucleo board doesn't have any five volt tolerant pins going to the Arduino port. But there are many on the other larger connector. I finally found a document that tells which pins have it and which don't, not all pins are 5 volt tolerant and it may depend on the exact chip used. But for me the bottom line is that if something goes weird with a program, such as a driver written incorrectly or crashes that disables the 5 volt tolerance on a pin, the presence of 5 volts will kill the chip. It's not worth it in my opinion and as I said, I have 3.3 volt capable opto-isolators (H11L1) so I feel it's unnecessary to take chances with 5 volts. Using a 3.3v opto there is zero chance I will burn it out.

On the H11L1, I used 220R for the MIDI current loop which is standard (it just limits the current through the opto LED) and a 330R for the H11L1 output (pin 4) pull up. I haven't messed with using a larger resistor, but I'm fairly certain it can be larger than 330R - just that I've tested with 330R and it works.

corruptio optimi pessima
VA1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, do you have to enable 5v tollerance in software ?, scary.
In DSPIC its not changable, those pins just are 5v tollerant.
JovianPyx

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

VA1 wrote:
Oh, do you have to enable 5v tollerance in software ?, scary.
In DSPIC its not changable, those pins just are 5v tollerant.

My understanding (so check the datasheet to be certain) is that the five volt tolerant pins power up in five volt mode. My comment concerned only when things don't go as intended such as with a driver written incorrectly or some other bit of code that does unexpected things. Again, if I use only 3.3 volt logic attached to the STM32 there is no possible way I can burn it out. I do realize it would be a low probability, I just don't want to take chances with things I've spent money on.

corruptio optimi pessima
VA1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Indeed for a €20+ chip.

It has the functionallity, waste to not use it.
Only needs extra 5v regulator, that is the thing why i would try 3,3v MIDI.
On the other hand i like to work from the original MIDI specefications.

Choises.
telbonic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm back to the party after a long rest, but it's my party and I'm glad to see it's still running. Lot's of things have happened in between, including me accidentally murdering my old discovery board (although nothing to do with 3.3 v 5 pins).

I've since moved on to using the disgustingly cheap "blue pill" boards. They're amazing, and cost about 2 bucks delivered (actually often cheaper at the time of writing).

Anyway, they also suport the arduino environment and a lot (but not all) of the libraries. They do support mozzi. They have a lot of bleed on the PWM pins (16 bit max tho) so you'll need to filter the power input well.

I've been thinking of putting a board together with power filters, a couple of buffered / lowpass filtered outputs. It's not the fastest kid on the block but it'll happily chug along at 72 mhz and just under 50 mips. The adc's are 12 bit.

You can get em by searching something like "stm32f103c8t6 board Arduino".

More about them here: http://wiki.stm32duino.com/forums.html?title=Blue_Pill
Page 1 of 1 [19 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Microcontrollers and Programmable Logic
Jump to: