electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Any advice for making these circuits work together?
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
altern8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: Any advice for making these circuits work together?
Subject description: Noise Toaster VCF and Delptronics Envelope AR
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I could use some input on a way I can use the Delptronics AR with the Noise Toaster VCF/VCA. I've got both circuits on breadboards now.

Mickey from Delptronics has been a great help showing me a way to extract his AR generator from his Mesmogrifier for my own purposes. I really like the duty cycle controls on it and I can build two with one 40106, one of which I'd like to use with Ray's Noise Toaster VCF circuit.

I want to save the other three stages of the LM324 for a Noise Toaster-style LFO and to drive the stereo mixer I want to build into my project -- again based upon a MFOS design -- also hoping I can use the LM324 instead of a TL084 for this.

Any input would be much appreciated. I'm no electrical engineer as you can probably tell!

project.jpg
 Description:
The Noise Toaster VCF/VCA and the Delptronics AR/VCA circuit are in the red box. The Noise Toaster AR appears below for comparison.
 Filesize:  497.39 KB
 Viewed:  179 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

project.jpg

ashleym

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surely you can just use it as a replacement envelope and wire it into the ARG of the Noise Toaster? I see a trigger switch on the left hand side of the circuit.

I am not great circuit reader so on first glance I cant tell if the input of the Delptronics is for a trigger input or if you put the signal in there and the envelope side of the circuit changes if amplitude of the signal????

altern8

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the response. Wiring the Delptronics AR to the MFOS VCF/VCA is the goal.

The input and output on the Delp AR is for audio, like an effect box. The Repeat, constant and manual trigger functions work the same way as the MFOS AR, however the latter has only one connection that goes to modulate the VCF/VCA -- no "input".

I'd like to connect the Delp AR in the same way but don't know where to to take the connection from and/or what elements I can eliminate from the AR circuit in the process.

I've put up a pdf of the circuits that contains notes of my "observations" and clarification of my goals with it.

Thanks again!

project2.pdf
 Description:
See notes at various locations on the drawing

Download
 Filename:  project2.pdf
 Filesize:  475.04 KB
 Downloaded:  216 Time(s)

ashleym

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking at the circuit a bit more you have a couple of options. With these circuits you have 2 VCAs and a couple of ARs. Perhaps you could hard wire the MFOS AR to the ARG input of the filter? Then you could use the Delptronics VCA/AR as a VCA/AR and bypass the MFOS VCA. Connect the output of the Toaster U2-A, pin 1 after the feedback loop but before the drain of Q7 into the input of the Delptronic VCA/AR.

You could also put a switch into both VCAs and a filter allowing you to choose the Delptonics AR or the MFOS AR to modulate the filter and/or amplifier.

altern8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ashleym wrote:
Looking at the circuit a bit more you have a couple of options. With these circuits you have 2 VCAs and a couple of ARs. Perhaps you could hard wire the MFOS AR to the ARG input of the filter?

I could, but what I want to do is make the Delptronics AR play with the the MFOS VCF/VCA in the exact same way as the Noise Toaster AR does -- ie: with a single connection to the VCA and Modulation Source switches.

Frankly I don't know how to identify the VCA section of the Delp circuit in the first place. That's how wet behind the ears I am!

ashleym wrote:
Then you could use the Delptronics VCA/AR as a VCA/AR and bypass the MFOS VCA. Connect the output of the Toaster U2-A, pin 1 after the feedback loop but before the drain of Q7 into the input of the Delptronic VCA/AR.

Part of my plan anyway -- an additional Delptronics AR/VCA that I can patch into. Pretty much unaltered from this diagram.

ashleym wrote:
You could also put a switch into both VCAs and a filter allowing you to choose the Delptonics AR or the MFOS AR to modulate the filter and/or amplifier.

I'd be happy just to know how I can make the Delp AR modulate the MFOS VCF the same way the MFOS AR does -- with one connection out to the MFOS VCF and VCA switches -- and no signal input on the Delp AR.

Not like there's a problem with the MFOS AR. I'm just saving the remaining stages of the LM324 for an LFO and a stereo bus while using one 40106 to create two Delp AR modules, one patchable and one to use with the VCF in the manner of the Noise Toaster.

El Mop

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I´m not sure but I think replacing S6 with a 3-way-switch where you connect LFO and the Noise-Toaster-AR as before and the Delptronic-AR-Output to the "new" pole.
You can use the replaced switch from S6 and connect it to "ARG" (below R41) and the outputs of both AR-Envelopes, so you can switch between the Noise Toasters and the Delptronics Envelope.
Still not sure if I got what you want to do, but maybe this was a bit helpful.
altern8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A friend suggested that I just eliminate everything to the right of Q4 on the Delp AR (eliminating it's input/output) and connecting that point to the ARG points on the Toaster-style VCF and VCA.

All I'm trying to do is use the Delp AR with this instead of the original one.

El Mop

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

For that connect the output of the Delptronic-AR to "ARG".
altern8

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

altern8 wrote:
A friend suggested that I just eliminate everything to the right of Q4 on the Delp AR (eliminating it's input/output) and connecting that point to the ARG points on the Toaster-style VCF and VCA.

That did it! WOO HOO!

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: