electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Synth DIY books
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
LektroiD

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Synth DIY books
Subject description: and other christmas gift ideas...
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Christmas is approaching and people are starting to ask what sort of things I'd like. One major dilemma, is that I pretty much have everything that's affordable. I have a big family so nobody buys or expects big presents. £10-20 is the ballpark figure, so I thought a SDIY book would fit the bill perfectly.

However, I've found none. I wonder if anyone knows of anything in that field, there's surely something out there in the way of SDIY literature, isn't there?

Another thought was gift cards for component wholesalers, but I always find gift cards deadpan.

When people are asking me what I want, I really don't know what to ask for. Ideas, anyone?

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

None? Surely you mean none you don't already have, right? Smile

I hear lots of good reviews of Nicolas Collins' "Handmade Electronic Instruments".

Here's my entire amazon wishlist. I also already own Brice Ward's "Electronic Music Circuit Guidebook" and (edit: Delton Horn's) "Troubleshooting and Repairing Electronic Music Synthesizers", though these are both old and not necessarily directly relevant. I'd suggest Allen Strange's "Electronic Music: Systems, Techniques, and Controls" except it's probably not available for anything remotely reasonable.

SELECT TITLE BUY PRICE WANT GOT PRIORITY
Handmade Electronic Music: The Art of Hardware Hacking by Nicolas Collins $36.45
Electronic Projects for Musicians by Craig Anderton $19.79
Fm Theory and Applications: By Musicians for Musicians by John Chowning (Author), David Bristow (Author) See buying options"
CMOS Cookbook, Second Edition by Donald E. Lancaster $38.66
Music Synthesizers: A Manual of Design and Construction by Delton T. Horn See buying options"
Electronic Music Pioneers by Ben Kettlewell (Author) See buying options"
Musical Applications of Microprocessors​ by Hal Chamberlin See buying options"
Vintage Synthesizers: Pioneering Designers, Groundbreaking Instruments, Collecting Tips, Mutants of Technology by Mark Vail $22.22
IC Op-Amp Cookbook (3rd Edition) by Walter G. Jung $39.93
Op Amp Applications Handbook (Analog Devices Series) by Walt Jung (Author) $49.02
Active Filter Cookbook, Second Edition by Donald E. Lancaster $41.08
Electronic Music Circuits (Blacksburg continuing education series) by Barry Klein See buying options"

Last edited by elmegil on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

small hand tools are always good to suggest. Think of things you have that just get you by and ask to replace them with a tool that does the job better
comrade_zero

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Chamberlin book (Musical Application of Microprocessors) is great. It has schematic adaptations of the basic electronotes modules. (VCO, VCF, VCA, EG, etc.) It is not super math-heavy, and makes for good reading.
I've read the Delton Horn book mentioned above, and it simply is not worth the prices people are asking for it. The schematics are extremely stripped down with little explaination of theory or use. You could build a better synth using a handful of schematics from the Lunetta forum here.
The other on the list I've looked at is the IC op-amp cookbook from Jung. Nice book, covers a lot of the basic topologies for op-amps in a direct, user-friendly way.
In similar threads the consensus seems to be that purchasing the Electronotes is the Holy Grail of synth DIY reading material. You can see some examples free online, so you might check that out.
Good luck with your Holidays, and I hope this helps.
c-z
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Electronotes is truly awesome (at least the free bits I've perused), but it's not something in the budget range originally asked about.... Maybe if everyone could be convinced to contribute to the Electronotes fund? Very Happy

Thanks for the thoughts on the Delton Horn; I assume you mean the "manual of design and construction" right?
comrade_zero

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: reading material... Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@elmegil:
Yes, the "Design and Construction" book. Just because a book is out of print does not mean it is desireable.

I know that the Electronotes is outside the price point, but I bring it up because every reading thread will get there eventually (it seems.) Wink
Outside of gift cards you could ask for moderately priced ($15-20) PBC's, maybe mfos, cgs, or the like...
magneticstripper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i love all the Thomas Henry books:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/search.ep?contributorId=303670
ashleym

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I know it is too late now but......

Having visited the family over Christmas I spotted another potential book option. Educational. Of course the level these are aimed at will be appropriate for some and not for others but looking at (UK) AS Level Electronics I read about clamping diodes and pull down resistors. You know if you need to learn about these.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [8 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: