electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Simple active filters?
Page 3 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
acidblue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

textual wrote:

I am runnig mine of 9V, works fine.
The CV / vactrol is controlling cut off. I don't see why you can't connect it to dual gang pot and be fine.
I am also only using 1 stage of an op-amp. I built 4 of these (now Cool filters with 1 quad op-amp.

Are you sure this will run off a single 9v supply?
Doesn't it need a voltage divider?

I have this on breadboard and it just doesn't sound right, output is too low, plus the res pot doesn't do a thing.
When I remove ground from pin 4 the output goes way up.
Using a TL081 for now
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't mean to commit topic necromancy (RISE ONCE AGAIN MUAHAHAHH!!) Razz but since my question is related to this thread - the last inverter VCF cricuit posted - can it be cut down to just HPF/LPF by lets say cut out the bandpass part, or is the bandpass stage necessary to create the lowpass output? Perhaps kill the LP stage and just do a HP/BP combo?

I managed to put togetter a 4049 based vco with adjustable tri/saw (I think) output and have to inverters left for uh.. something like a VCF. Any suggestions?
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lots of great simple ideas here for me to try. Thanks!
garcho

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like this thread. It's like that old sketch from Saturday Night Live: "active filters - talk amongst yourselves"
For me, filters are one of the easiest ways to sculpt that buzzy, glitchy square wave into something even weirder. And filters are one more opportunity to use LDRs, LFOs, etc. Lots of expression possibilities!

Lysol

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i'm going to try building a 4069 filter stand-alone. Probably only LP, but maybe HP also. i have a 40106 drone synth that i built a WSG filter into - it sounds fine but i'd like something more versatile and with a sharper cutoff freq. I think i'm going to try breadboarding one off the last one Silesius posted (http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e340/Silesius/FILTER.png). If it turns out well maybe I'll replace the WSG filter in my 40106.

Seems like the conclusion was to do something along the lines of 10k VR for a input/attenuator and use a 20k VR for R3 for res?
kaputtpanzer

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I made a good sounding filter for use with cmos and 9V batteries. It's based on the wsg/dronelab filter and it has a hp/lp mix pot.

I think it is possible to replace the 4,5V connection, at the non-inverting pin, by a CV input.

9vHP_LPfilter.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  41 KB
 Viewed:  2520 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

9vHP_LPfilter.png

9v_filter.mp3
 Description:
The input signals for the filter are 4 squarewave oscs feed into 2 XOR gates.

Download
 Filename:  9v_filter.mp3
 Filesize:  3.24 MB
 Downloaded:  3130 Time(s)

garcho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Kaputtpanzer, I'm going to breadboard this soon!
richardc64

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's one I like a lot.

The 4069 version could have a Q Resonance pot and HP/BP inputs like the 324 version. Play with the cap values.

igmf_x2.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.94 KB
 Viewed:  31881 Time(s)

igmf_x2.gif

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I assume all those cap values are in microfarads? So that's 1nF caps used in with that op amp?

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
textual

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:
I assume all those cap values are in microfarads? So that's 1nF caps used in with that op amp?

pretty sure those are 1n, Joe

www.textualmusic.com
www.mercuryprogram.com
richardc64

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Jeeze. I had no idea decimal point cap values had become arcane.

.1uF=100nF
.01uF=10nF
.001uF=1nF

Here's some short samples of the 324 filter with white noise as input. Caps were 560pF and feedback R was fixed 680K.

bpf_decay_1.mp3
 Description:
Almost Cymbal. Needs metal.

Download
 Filename:  bpf_decay_1.mp3
 Filesize:  55.1 KB
 Downloaded:  3106 Time(s)

bpf_decay_2.mp3
 Description:
handclap?

Download
 Filename:  bpf_decay_2.mp3
 Filesize:  24.49 KB
 Downloaded:  3114 Time(s)

closed_hh2.mp3
 Description:
Closed HiHat

Download
 Filename:  closed_hh2.mp3
 Filesize:  31.84 KB
 Downloaded:  3028 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardc64 wrote:
Jeeze. I had no idea decimal point cap values had become arcane.

.1uF=100nF
.01uF=10nF
.001uF=1nF

Cultural thing ... in the EU the n prefix seems to be used more ... also in the form of 2n2 for 2.2 nF ... and in the US you'll more often see .001 µF, or indeed just .001.

lostinpurdy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well since it hasn't been that long since my last reply on this thread - I'm trying to get back at experimenting with electronics and I wonder if anybody has successfully put together an active resonant RC-ONLY vcf? by RC only I mean only resistors and capacitors, no transistors, op-amps, inverters or any semiconductors of any kind - requirements would be acceptable response, more or less decent resonance, and an acceptable range for resonance and cutoff control. Is it even possible and practical to do something like that?
Psyingo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lostinpurdy wrote:
Well since it hasn't been that long since my last reply on this thread - I'm trying to get back at experimenting with electronics and I wonder if anybody has successfully put together an active resonant RC-ONLY vcf? by RC only I mean only resistors and capacitors, no transistors, op-amps, inverters or any semiconductors of any kind - requirements would be acceptable response, more or less decent resonance, and an acceptable range for resonance and cutoff control. Is it even possible and practical to do something like that?

That wouldn't be an active filter, then. It would be a passive one. i imagine you would have a pretty hard time making a resonant filter with only caps and resistors.
garcho

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Is it even possible and practical to do something like that?

no and definitely no

lostinpurdy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the swift and clear answer! Now if only somebody would answer my question about the Paia LPF that I posted in the diy forum, hint, hint, point, point Wink
-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

lostinpurdy wrote:

Yes. Not 24 db/octave... but could be tweaked...

What about connecting a small speaker to your output and sticking it into your mouth. You could move your jaw, change the shape of your mouth cavity and vary the hole made by your lips. ***UNVERIFIED*** (may want to test with small headphone speaker, earbuds etc.)
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thats not really practical, talk boxes use a hose to separate the electronic parts and the mouth of the user.

richardc64

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://alexplorer.net/guitar/projects/talkbox.html

Too elaborate. Place a large funnel over a small speaker. Fasten a suitably sized hose on the small end of the funnel, stick the other end of the hose in yer pie-hole et voila -- talk box.

(Somewhere there's a recording of me vocalizing I Am The Walrus this way.)

Last edited by richardc64 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
JingleJoe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

richardc64 wrote:

Fuck, I was going to sleep, but now ... I must find it!!!

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

nope all I can find is this ... almost as good. Shocked Laughing

richardc64

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:
richardc64 wrote:

Fuck, I was going to sleep, but now ... I must find it!!!

Sorry. I should have said "Somewhere in my dozens of old tapes..."

Can't see the vid scratch [/i]

kaputtpanzer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I will bring this topic back from the dead because I built a nice little vcf, which sounds very dirty and gritty. It is not crazy resonant, but just resonant enough. I started messing around with this circuit when I breadboarded the moduletta vcf last year.
Dirt VCLPF is a very simple inverting twin t filter with a drive/gain stage. You can Ignore the lower part, it is just my power supply. Just connect VCC with 9V or 12V and it will run fine. Maybe put some filter caps between VCC and GND, because this filter is very sensitive to shitty wallwarts which will introduce some noise to the output signal.

DirtVCLPF.png
 Description:
R16 is a 20/50K trimmer to limit the lowest cut off frequency
 Filesize:  69.39 KB
 Viewed:  132 Time(s)

DirtVCLPF.png

dirtvcf_01.mp3
 Description:
Dirt VCLPF, Yamaha QY70, two LFOs and a LOWPASS GATE..

Download
 Filename:  dirtvcf_01.mp3
 Filesize:  8.42 MB
 Downloaded:  314 Time(s)

garcho

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bravo, looks like an easy build, one for the breadboard list, you can never have enough filters Smile

Alfa has been making affordable clones of old synth ICs, including the 3320VCF. Electric Druid and Small Bear sell them, most likely others do, too. They sound great and are simple to set up (needs bipolar DC but I've made them work just fine on +/-9V using an LT1054 as a voltage inverter).

kaputtpanzer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Garcho,

it is an easy build indeed, if you skip the drive stage it gets even easier.

Speaking off ics... I just found out that the SSI2144, which is the clone of the legendary SSM2044, can run off 9V (-4/+4V minimum voltage).

I have also a multimode VCF (LP/HP/BP/NOTCH) in the queue and I will share the schematics the next months. It is a weird combination of an Oberheim SEM VCF and a WASP VCF.

vclpf.PNG
 Description:
This is a render from my VCLPF PCB.
 Filesize:  177.75 KB
 Viewed:  85 Time(s)

vclpf.PNG

Page 3 of 3 [75 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: