electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Looking for a Lo-Fi Looper
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
JAMESveeder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Looking for a Lo-Fi Looper Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys, so I've been looking for a lower-fidelity looper schematic. The record time doesn't have to be long, I'm just looking for something really simple!

I tried the search feature but all of the threads contained .pch2 files for download, and I googled that and it said it was some sort of Nord synth file.

Anyways, does anyone know where I can find some schematics for something like this?
I'm trying to keep it reallly simple, for the fact that I'm a beginner and that I like lo-fi in general.

If there's a way to trigger it using a pulse or something along those lines, that would be INCREDIBLE, by the way.

Thanks, guys.
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

this is something ive been pondering for a while,
sometime ago i bought some APLUS voice recorder chips, they are ok, but a bit fiddly to use.
recently ive been learning (slowly) how to use the arduino for more interesiting projects and after some discussion with JovianPyx came up with the idea of using it as a mini sampler.
i haven't actually done anything with this idea at all, but the concept is fairly straightforward.

the audio signal comes into the arduino via the adc pins
it is then stored in an external eeprom (internal would work but is very limited)
the stored signal is played out via PWM on the digital pins.

Pros :
1) its easy to make, should be fairly straightforward coding
Cons :
*deep breath*
1)the ADC input is 10 bit, but the PWM out is only 8 bit
2)the PWM out is limited to a max of 62khz (and further limited by eeprom read/write(see 3)
3)the read/write rate of eeprom is fairly slow i cant remember exactly but you are probably not gonna get 11khz out of it.
4)its just an idea :p

im sure other people have found chips or some other way of doing it, this is just my input.

ejr27233

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I was thinking of something similar using one of the kits from this range

http://www.quasarelectronics.co.uk/sound-recorder-modules.htm
JAMESveeder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

bubzy, I just picked up an arduino, I have yet to play with it though. If it has the ability to do something like that, I'm definitely going to look into it. Unfortunately though, yeah, the arduino has very little memory...

I dont really know much about eeprom either. How is the learning curve for using all of this, do you think? It sounds like it may be a while before i get to anything close to this haha.

And I'm okay with Lo-Fi.

Are the APLUS voice recorder chips able to loop sound? I'm gonna see what I can find on these guys.

ejr27233, those kits may be a little too expensive for me.

I grabbed some of the greeting cards where you can record a message and play it back to try to circuit bend it, but nothing good came out of that really.
Dougster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WTPA?

http://blog.narrat1ve.com/downloads/

Regards,
Doug

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

learning curve is pretty good actually, if you have any sort of coding background, you can probably work most of what you need to do out in a day or two. eeprom is super simple too, all the libraries are written, a bit of copying and pasting and BOOM! you got reading and writing to an eeprom.

if i get a chance ill smash a quick demo program together and see if my concept works. (in work at the moment tho, so not now Razz)

jaidee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go to madbeanpedals.com and check out the LoopHole lo-fi looper project in the Discontinued Projects section of the forum (you will probably have to sign up to get access but it's a great forum so go for it).

There is a circuit diagram and full PCB artwork.

You can find examples of completed builds in another section of the forum.

Its designed as a guitar pedal but otherwise seems to be exactly what you are looking for.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: