electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Oh gawd, I was within earshot of "Jingle Bell Rock"
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
kkissinger

Audio files: 41

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Oh gawd, I was within earshot of "Jingle Bell Rock"
Subject description: operating with fewer brain cells as a result
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it is that time of the year where you might as well leave your brain at the door if you walk into any place that plays "muzak" because the xmas music is here with a vengeance.

The other day when eating breakfast there it was -- over the PA system -- "Jingle bell, jingle bell, jingle bell rock" and I felt like Alex being subjected to Beethoven's 9th -- I wanted to jump out the window except that I was on the ground floor and, with what was certainly reenforced glass, it wouldn't have worked out so well.

I don't know what it is about "Jingle Bell Rock" that brings out the worst in me. There are lots of really dumb songs but, to me, "Jingle Bell Rock" is the lowest of the low -- more than just a frontal lobotomy -- it reaches in and rips the brain out by the stem!

And well, it isn't ROCK! For heaven's sake -- it is meta -- a saccharine little ditty that includes the word "rock" in its lyrics while managing to not be rock.

And I really really loathe that song. (Did I mention that I don't like it?)

There are a few other tunes that are near the bottom of my Christmas music list. Another is the Rutter "Candlelight Carol" which, once again, I must accompany this year. If you've never heard "Candlelight Carol" it doesn't matter -- you have heard it. From the melody, text, harmony, etc -- it is like every other over-the-top sappy "Baby Jesus" tune you've every heard. It is right up there with "Jesu Bambino" which is exceedingly lame. I'd have to go on quite a bender to kill more brain cells than are destroyed by this music.

Whenever I have to play "Candlelight Carol" the only antidote for the gag reflex is to remind myself that it could be worse: I could be playing "Jingle Bell Rock".

I may have ranted about this in prior years -- I can't remember and it is probably due to the brain cell reduction from said popular song.

Confused

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Damn now that's in my head...

Yeah this is the least favourite part of the holiday season. Espacially as it's not even December yet.

Ian came home with a carol book of some very obscure English carols though, most of which I'd never heard before. They all sound very Victorian.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not going to try to convince you that Jingle Bell Rock is an excellent song (even though I don't share your hatred), but how do you mean it isn't "rock"?

The story I've been told over here in my corner on the other side of the world is that the first rock song was Rock Around the Clock, which I think has a similar feel and backbeat as Jingle Bell Rock. I get that there were probably rock songs before Bill Haley, and that Jingle Bell Rock isn't the same kind of rock as, say, a Metallica song, but wouldn't you consider Rock Around the Clock to be "rock"?

EdisonRex
Site Admin

Audio files: 172

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Stefan, have you heard Jingle Bell Rock?

Nothing at all like Rock Around the Clock. Okay, they both shuffle. At different tempos from each other.

Home,My Studio,and another view
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah I heard it... in a movie... maybe ten years ago. Wink Thought it sounded a bit like Rock Around the Clock...
kkissinger

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Antimon wrote:
I'm not going to try to convince you that Jingle Bell Rock is an excellent song (even though I don't share your hatred), but how do you mean it isn't "rock"?

My comments were meant to be sarcastic and not intended to be hateful -- sometimes it is hard to convey an accurate tone over the internet.

I really put "Jingle Bell Rock" into the "novelty song" category -- neither fish nor foul.

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oh gawd, I was within earshot of "Jingle Bell Rock"

kkissinger wrote:
There are lots of really dumb songs but, to me, "Jingle Bell Rock" is the lowest of the low . . . .
A few decades ago, I heard Andy Griffith on a prime time TV variety show singing, "The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind . . . " in an orchestrated light pop arrangement--kinda lighthearted, sing-songy, bouncy, etc. Maybe if Jingle Bell Rock were done in a different style it could replace the sing-songy version. Hmmmmmm. Having said that, all I hear in my mind's ear is the Bobby Helms version. Now I can't get that tune out of my head. Sad
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Oh gawd, I was within earshot of "Jingle Bell Rock"

MusicMan11712 wrote:
Now I can't get that tune out of my head. Sad

What would work Laughing is to make your own version!

kkissinger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh noooooo!!!!!

Just heard an ad on the radio that included a snippet of "Jingle Bell Rock" played by Kenny G.

Arrggghhhhh!

Evil or Very Mad

Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: