electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Triple 292, 230, 281 Cloned in SMT and rocking and rolling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Triple 292, 230, 281 Cloned in SMT and rocking and rolling. Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

First the Audio:

http://soundcloud.com/phdinfunk/sabbaths-wizard-clip-filtered

That's an MD player running through two channels of this rig. It's level adjusted at the 230s, and the envelope followers go into one CV channel of each resonant Lowpass gate. Then two of the function generators are running into the second control channel of each Lowpass gate. Resonance stays high on that clip, self-oscillates in a couple of places. Fun!

I went ahead and made my PCBs triples. That is fun, saves money, and time over singles. Also, I kind of wanted to have a different feeling than everything in quads. It's pretty cool that TWO sections of the 281 clone work with Quadrature and Peak, and there's a third standalone function (although I can chain two boards together to make a hex if I want to).

The other thing: I gave myself kludge space to place with diodes in the resonance. I want to get a cool MS-50 sound, but I think the resistance is currently too low in the loop for the diodes to do anything. I'm just going to have to fool around with it awhile. I can put diodes in the output amp or in the feedback amp. I'm also thinking hard-clipping diodes to ground in the resonance loop might give a cool sound, but I haven't sat down and hacked a few options yet..... it's non-trivial.

Anyways, everything sounds cool as-is, no? Very Happy

Actually, the resonance reminds me a bit of early Simmons filters on the Black Sabbath clip.

281-1.JPG
 Description:
The file says 281, but that's the 292
 Filesize:  2.86 MB
 Viewed:  54 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

281-1.JPG

BILD0013.JPG
 Description:
230, with guitar inputs added.
 Filesize:  2.14 MB
 Viewed:  49 Time(s)

BILD0013.JPG

BILD0016.JPG
 Description:
The Triple Function Generator (with testing section to daisy chain a second board).

This was before I started using plastic for test panels.
 Filesize:  3.21 MB
 Viewed:  46 Time(s)

BILD0016.JPG

phdinfunk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: more audio and a pic Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's a guitar sample (Showcasing the filter, not my guitar playing Smile).

http://soundcloud.com/phdinfunk/guitar-eg-long-decay-and-ef

My oscs should finally be finished in several weeks. I've moved away from ribbon connectors. (between my Doepfer Switch to MIDI Keyboard build and these Buchla Clones, I've been immersed in IEC cables).

They will be primarily panel mounted. Easier to work with. For various differing circumstances and DIY panels, I think soldering jacks and pots directly to that PCB via wires will be almost as good a solution as using IEC connectors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: