electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
2012 Build Pictures
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 15 of 16 [384 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: Enneatronic Spectralizer
Subject description: Dronebox with 9 squarewave oscillators
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Nice work. Found a pic of someone viewing that display Wink

hahahahahaha

phobos: damn you! too many nice builds, ive got build envy! ive also got a radio controlled helicopter spread over my desk so i cant build until i get my spare sparts aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

love that led display too!

bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: skont v1 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

#1 in a series of noisemakers i plan on producing, the idea is to sell them, they will be made on breadboard, transferred to perfboard and the original then disassembled, making each unit unique, i keep no schematics of these designs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztRQ5GSi638&list=UUBty83q-zxoOXa0h0UfLGCg&index=3&feature=plcp

Dragon's Lair

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I finally got around to finishing my row of Frac modules, the modules are all of my own design, panels are from FPE.

1x Tuneable Noise, base on my pcb layout for the Liquid Hi Hat
1x Gate Delay (New version)
1x LPG, my own layout
3x Gate Delay (old version)
3x Voltage Controlled Clock, based on the Aries clock module
3x XR LFO, LFO based on the XR2206
2x 8 Channel Sequencers

The old version of the Gate Delay just delayed the start of the gate, it still ended when you released the key, I wasn't happy with that,
so I redesigned it, the new version has 4 modes,
Normal - works the same as the old version
Extended - Delays the start of the gate, and lets you extend the gate past the point where you release the key
Manual - delays the start of the gate, and lets you set a specific length, regardless of whether the key has been released
Timed - delays the start of the gate and keeps it on for the same length of time as the key was held down.

The sequencers can run of an internal clock, or the length can be set individually for each step, they also have a Cascade output so you can chain them together,
the time between triggering the next sequencer in the chain is adjustable.

I am currently working on a couple Midi projects (I'm using blue panels on them), and a cv keyboard retrofit for the cheap (M-Audio) Fatar keyboards
I am also in the process of building a CNC engraving machine, so I can start doing the panels myself.

FracRow.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  265.47 KB
 Viewed:  588 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

FracRow.JPG

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
I am also in the process of building a CNC engraving machine, so I can start doing the panels myself.

This has occurred to me as well. I took advantage of the Cyber Monday sales to get a PDF copy of "Build Your Own CNC Machine" on aPress, by Patrick Hood-Daniel and James Floyd Kelly. It uses a laminate router...

I'd be really interested to hear about anything you learn in the process. I don't think I'm ready to bite off on this project for a while, but I'm reallly interested for the longer term.
RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject:
Subject description: Tea Candle Noise Box

This is a silly and simple little build for a laugh. After the disastrous Sweet32 Speaker Interrupter-Switcher Installation thing which will require some difficult debugging to get working, I decided to build something really quick & easy that was sure to work. Better that than give up electronics!

Inspired by PHOBoS' discovery that the flickering LEDs in dollar-store electronic tea candles make sound, I wired 3 of them up and sent the sound to a speaker, putting the whole lot in a wooden tea box. There's a volume knob and a switch to turn the speaker off, and tap wires for a line out.

A quick demo can be seen here: http://youtu.be/GE7RyhDhcyo

James.

tea candle noise box2-sm.jpg
 Description:
Tea candle noise box interior
 Filesize:  114.93 KB
 Viewed:  523 Time(s)

tea candle noise box2-sm.jpg

tea candle noise box1-sm.jpg
 Description:
Tea candle noise box exterior
 Filesize:  116.81 KB
 Viewed:  510 Time(s)

tea candle noise box1-sm.jpg

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what a lovely box Very Happy .

but to be faiir it's not my discovery, I think I got the idea from here.
But I had not seen them used in a lunetta before.

And is it just me or does it sound like they are communicating/arguing with eachother . I was actually
working on a circuit to make them 'listen' to eachother and respond, involving a shiftregister. Which is why I started
with them in my modular lunetta. Cool (to save breadboard space)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Psyingo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject:
Subject description: Tea Candle Noise Box

RingMad wrote:
This is a silly and simple little build for a laugh. After the disastrous Sweet32 Speaker Interrupter-Switcher Installation thing which will require some difficult debugging to get working, I decided to build something really quick & easy that was sure to work. Better that than give up electronics!

Inspired by PHOBoS' discovery that the flickering LEDs in dollar-store electronic tea candles make sound, I wired 3 of them up and sent the sound to a speaker, putting the whole lot in a wooden tea box. There's a volume knob and a switch to turn the speaker off, and tap wires for a line out.

A quick demo can be seen here: http://youtu.be/GE7RyhDhcyo

James.

dollarama?!
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That tea-box-fickering-candle thing is brilliant Laughing the sound makes me laugh, it just sounds so silly! but very effective Smile

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
RingMad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
And is it just me or does it sound like they are communicating/arguing with eachother .

Yeah, that's what it makes me think of too.

Psyingo wrote:
dollarama?!

Yes. I bought several last year. Haven't checked if they still carry them this year.

JingleJoe wrote:
the sound makes me laugh, it just sounds so silly!

Silly indeed!

Of course, I was thinking of having LFO's control the volume of each LED, but hey, this was supposed to be a quick, silly thing. I think the only thing I would do is maybe put a smaller speaker, anchor it better so it rattles the box less, and maybe put a few holes for the sound.

James.
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 211
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very cool. I like the arguing candles... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RingMad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mosc wrote:
Very cool. I like the arguing candles... Very Happy

Actually, when one starts listening to them for a while, it gets pretty hypnotic and interesting.

And for those in Canada, the Dollarama indeed carries these electronic tea candles (at least until x-mas)... 2 for a buck, get 'm while they're hot. (Truth be told, I never checked if one can order just the raw LEDs from somewhere even cheaper).

James.
sonic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dollarama ftw! I picked up a cool LED-based strobe light thingy from there a while back. They're also handy for wooden enclosures for lunettas. And a million other things of course.
fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

most likely the last one for this year: a custom build of a dual QuadSequentialSwitch...

emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love the 2xQuadSeqSwitch! Great looking panel. Tidy build behind the panel, too.
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Last one of the year for me. And going out on a festive note!

I've had these pcbs for something like 4 years. Got started on the panel design 3 times, but finally finished it this time. It's a strange collection of knobs to try and make some kind of sense out of; maybe I got close.

Thomas Henry Mega Percussion Synthesizer front

Thomas Henry Mega Percussion Synthesizer profile

Thomas Henry Mega Percussion Synthesizer back
elmegil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's gorgeous and you fit it into 2 wide! My notes had me for sure doing it in 3....

I really like the use of color to keep it straight.
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes - I've seen 3, 4 and 5U versions, but they all seem kind of large for what this module does. I mean, it's a great module soundwise, super flexible, but you're going to want 2 or 3 of them, and you can't take up a whole cabinet for these things, can you?

I will say this - those knobs are awfully close together - it takes some dedication and care to tweak the inner ones without moving the ones around it.
Luka

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

awesome sduck! - i think lars also made one in 2u

i have populated my pcbs but waiting to case up my mb808 before i begin on another drum machine

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
ashleym

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I like that a lot. I can see your panel designs creeping away from MOTM.......
emdot_ambient

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not so sure I like the diagonal set up or the colored knobs, sduck, but I really like your approach. I've avoided buying that PCBs because of the panel real estate required. But you've shown it can be done in a reasonable amount of space. So kudos!
diablojoy

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice layout sduck as always
I have 3 MPS's to do panels for soon, i think i will do something along similar lines . my panels are a little larger at 241mm high x 100mm wide though which should help a bit those knobs do look a little too close for my fat fingers Smile

as good an answer as any
RingMad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Sweet32 Speaker Interrupter-Switcher Installation Thing

After a few years of collecting speakers from stuff found in the trash, I finally got them off the floor and onto the wall. There are 47 speakers per panel, but only 16 per panel are wired up to the control box. The box takes a 2 channel input and randomly selects which of the speakers the sound is directed to (for each panel). The rate can be controlled by the knob, or via an external CV. There is also the optional interruption control on a per-channel basis... this cuts the sound going to a panel according to the rate set via the knob (or external CV). Alas, the box and the speakers are not very clean-sounding, so not just any audio is suitable. It is best to feed it with simple drone oscillators.

No video could really demonstrate what this installation sounds like in person, with the sound moving around. If you're in Montreal, Canada, maybe we could arrange a visit...

An automatic drone box for use with this thing is possibly in the works....

I've lost count of how many hours this thing took to make. I must be insane.

James.

Sweet32-speaker-installation-sm.jpg
 Description:
Overall view of the installation.
 Filesize:  235.22 KB
 Viewed:  3923 Time(s)

Sweet32-speaker-installation-sm.jpg

Sweet32-speaker-installation-box-sm.jpg
 Description:
Control box
 Filesize:  202.25 KB
 Viewed:  3947 Time(s)

Sweet32-speaker-installation-box-sm.jpg

Sweet32-speaker-interrupter-switcher-inside2-sm.jpg
 Description:
Inside the control box. Yeah, that's 32 MOSFET transistors in there!
 Filesize:  199 KB
 Viewed:  3905 Time(s)

Sweet32-speaker-interrupter-switcher-inside2-sm.jpg

elmegil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Insane.... and amazing Smile That looks excellent, and I wish I could hear it.
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

RingMad wrote:
No video could really demonstrate what this installation sounds like in person, with the sound moving around.

Can imagine, it looks great at least on the pictures and I like the idea too.

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked

that's awesome!, how does it sound with the teacandles ? Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 15 of 16 [384 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 13, 14, 15, 16 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: