electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
how to start a sequencing Doepfer case system?
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
sonictransportsystem

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: how to start a sequencing Doepfer case system? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello to everyone,

This Christmas i receive a Doepfer 6u case from my wife, and now i want to start buylding a modular synth in eurorack format. Wink

Cause i have the Doepfer Dark Energy, i want to start my system oriented to sequencing, to make sequences with the DE.

I thought about sarting with the A-155 and the A-156 modules, and later i will buy a A-190-1 for the system receive midi clock from my software sequencer.

About the clock divider i want to know if its a necessary module for this initial and the later midi configuration, with the A-190-1 (cv/midi/sync module)

If you have a better idea about a sequencer oriented doepfer system, please say something Wink

Cheers

Pedro Dias
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Pedro,

Well I'm not an expert but I think you are going to need some clock generator of some type, a LFO would do or maybe a A-154.

Or you could save the rack space and get a Dark Time Smile

Cheers

Andy
sonictransportsystem

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

BobTheDog wrote:
Hi Pedro,

Well I'm not an expert but I think you are going to need some clock generator of some type, a LFO would do or maybe a A-154.

Or you could save the rack space and get a Dark Time Smile

Cheers

Andy

Im going to use the Dark Energy LFO1 output to give clock! Wink

Cheers
BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Good idea!

Told you I wasn't an expert Smile
ndkent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Lets see...

I you use your only LFO for clock then you don't have an LFO for modulation. You could clock with the A-191-1 though I believe you would then have to send MIDI clock to use the sequence.

You don't have to get a MIDI to CV converter as a module though there is an advantage to have it inside your system. To some outside the case has advantages too.

The A-156 isn't essential but it makes the use of an analog sequencer much easier and to many people much faster.

An A-150 is not essential but lets you use the A-155/A-154 in 16 step mode rather than 8 step mode
Etamin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Any Progress? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Sonic...

Did you make any progress with this?

From my reading on the Doepfer site, A-150 plus A-155, and A-154 does not give you 16 steps, but you need to add a second A-155. Of course, I could be mistaken on that Confused At that point, or even with only one A-155, A-150, A-154, I would think DarkTime would be better - bit pricier than that combo, but saves a ton of rack space and gives you MIDI I/O also, with clock sync to or from other MIDI.

I do not have this equipment, but have been reading up recently as I am interested in sequencer options right now.

Peter
ndkent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One A-155 and a switch will do 16 steps, you have 2 rows of 8 steps going out on 2 CV outs, you fire the switch on one of the 8 steps and you've switched rows until you file the switch again. What you can't do is something trickier like have one row alter the clock speed or use a second CV in parallel to do something else at the same time like open the filter some amount on some notes. You can do that with 8 but not 16 steps until you get a second A-155.

Dark Time is a ready to go old school sequencing system with nice extras like MIDI clock to tempo, quantitizer, stop/skip/jump switches. I don't have one so I don't know if it's easier to use but it probably looks like the popular uses are easy to use

That said the A-100 series modules will do a pile of more advanced things due to having a lot more CV inputs and outputs. There are a lot of patchable options especially once you add the A-154 controller. Even though the A-100 series modules are admittedly pretty space filling in a rack, what struck me is the patching options goe way beyond many other people's step sequencers
Etamin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi ndkent

Thanks for the added info. So many choices, I was mostly taken by the stadalone enclosure and MIDI I/O of the DT. However, I have seen videos of people creating great sequences just with things like clock dividers, so maybe just adding clock and switch modules is actually a more flexible way to go. I have some of the Symple SEQkits that I am messing with now, trying to see if they can do what I want, and building simple dividers with CMOS.

Peter
ndkent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

One would generally not make a good melodic sequence with *just* clock dividers. Generally you have a mixer that deals with CV. You could take an A-160/161 combo and run each step to a mixer input that passes DC. That means instead of a uniform +5v or whatever the divider puts out you get a pulse of CV you could use for pitch, especially with that combo, since each step holds, so it's not a tiny short pulse that may bot get far. Anyway that's a melodic result.

For a rhythmic result many synthesists divide with different intervals and perhaps logic applied and then take the different triggers and make different sounds for each trigger out. Something like a 4ms RCD puts out lots of different divisions at the same time
Etamin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for elaborating. Do you know any other good tricks for alternative sequencers?

Peter
sonictransportsystem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ndkent wrote:
One A-155 and a switch will do 16 steps, you have 2 rows of 8 steps going out on 2 CV outs, you fire the switch on one of the 8 steps and you've switched rows until you file the switch again. What you can't do is something trickier like have one row alter the clock speed or use a second CV in parallel to do something else at the same time like open the filter some amount on some notes. You can do that with 8 but not 16 steps until you get a second A-155.

Dark Time is a ready to go old school sequencing system with nice extras like MIDI clock to tempo, quantitizer, stop/skip/jump switches. I don't have one so I don't know if it's easier to use but it probably looks like the popular uses are easy to use

That said the A-100 series modules will do a pile of more advanced things due to having a lot more CV inputs and outputs. There are a lot of patchable options especially once you add the A-154 controller. Even though the A-100 series modules are admittedly pretty space filling in a rack, what struck me is the patching options goe way beyond many other people's step sequencers

Hi, the switch that you talk to turn the A 155 in a 16 steps sequencer its like a switch module like the A 150 or A 151....Can you explain me better how to do it....Have you ever tryied?

Thanks a lot Wink

Pedro
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » Modular Synthesis
Jump to: