electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
I Propose a Challenge!
Page 3 of 3 [65 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3

Should this competition be an annual event?
Yes
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
No
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Tomoroh Hidari

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wouldn't it make more sense to set limits as to what kind of (sub-) circuit is allowed rather than what parts?
http://tomorohhidari.bandcamp.com
Paradigm X

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i didt get too far with mine, im a complete noob, was working thru snbytes helpful notes but got distracted...

may well attempt to carry it on, but no guarantees.

cheers L)
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Apparently I can't remember things correctly, I actually have ended up with three bags.

I've flipped and selected mine (along with some spare parts, thank you to the person who sent them Smile ), so I have two others that I can provide lists for someone who may not want to spring for the new parts, at least you can have a randomized assortment of 25.

So let me know and I'll flip a coin for you and post the list.

My bag consists of

4011 x 2 quad 2-input NAND
4013 x 2 dual DFF with set/reset capability
4020 x 1 14-stage binary counter
4023 x 5 triple 3-input NAND
4027 x 2 Dual JK Flip Flop
4028 x 1 BCD to Decimal (1 of 10) decoder
4051 x 1 8 channel analog multiplexer/demultipolexer
4082 x 4 dual 4-input AND
4093 x 3 quad 2input NAND Schmitt Trigger
4518 x 4 dual BCD up counter

I think that looks like some promising stuff, given the Schmitt Triggers to make oscillators with Smile Then again I haven't put my hand to this at all....
trav

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil, that looks like the most varied selection so far.

yeah, I'm starting with the 4093s since they're one of the more traditional Lunetta components, but I'm already getting ideas for the flip flops and logic.

what to do with ANDs tho?...

anyway, I guess I'll open up a project thread soon; got some drilling to do first...
Psyingo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

trav wrote:

what to do with ANDs tho?...

they are quite good in sequencers, and for controlling signal flow. say you want a start/stop button for a sequencer. you could run a clock into an AND gates A input, then have a flipflop controlled by a momentary into the B input, that would turn on and off your clock to start/stop the sequencer ... etc.
attdestroyers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got my bag today...

4001 x 3
4518 x 5
4082 x 3
4013 x 4
4023 x 2
4011 x 2
4027 x 2

could be cool...
brock

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

...and I got my bag today...

4001 x 4 quad 2-input NOR
4011 x 3 quad 2-input NAND
4013 x 6 dual DFF with set/reset capability
4027 x 2 dual J-K Master-Slave FF
4051 x 6 8-channel analog multiplexer/demultiplexer
4082 x 1 dual 4-input AND
4093 x 2 quad 2-input NAND
4518 x 1 dual BCD up counter

Perhaps a little thin in the counter department but the 4093s and 4051s should compensate for that.
trav

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it's December and this thread has dropped off the first page, so figured I'd bump it. How is everyone looking for the New Years Eve deadline? I finally have some spare time again and picked up another panel yesterday, so am hoping to fulfill my goal of using each of my randomly selected chips at least once.
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Life has intervened. :/ I will still build something, but highly unlikely to happen before NYE.
Inventor
Stream Operator

Audio files: 267

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been in the hospital and the rehab place for my heart condition for three months now. Have gotten tremendous amounts done on the computer but zero on synth hardware. I plan to put some effort into the hardware when I get home right before Christmas. I have a circuit half-built and may use that one.

Les

JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've got an alternate method for you all to consider.
The general idea I'm proposing is that a speedy challenge might make things work better and get more results;

1. Announce competition
2. Set the start date for construction about a week in the future (this gives the competitors time to get some parts/ideas together)
3. Set the end deadline only a day or two (or three) later.
4.????
5.PROFIT!

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
trav

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:
...a speedy challenge might make things work better and get more results.

hmm, I see what you are saying, but a week seems a bit tight. I mean, if life gets in the way of a 4-month deadline...

and for those of us who do have a lot of time to build, what's to stop someone working on their entry for the whole week leading up to the 2/3-day build-off?

I think that since this is more a challenge than a competition it can be more relaxed than that. The challenge is to see what you can do with weird chips, not to see how quickly you can do it. I would say that the deadline is in effect the proposed showcase on Les' show. Within reason, this could be pushed out until there is enough material for such a showcase. At that point it would be good to post a collection of links in this thread to the entrants' project threads/pics/sounds/videos and to the radio recording, and the odd late-comer could post their efforts afterwards.

For this year, anyway. If it is going to be an annual thing maybe shorter and sweeter would be better.
JovianPyx

Audio files: 224

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

How about a limited number of just 4007 ? Say, like up to 10 or so. These are rather versatile ICs, they are almost a CMOS transistor array. They can make oscillators, filters, and a host of other sound generating stuff.

Time flies like a banana.
Fruit flies when you're having fun.
BTW, Do these genes make my ass look fat?
corruptio optimi pessima
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Late to the party as usual for me. So many real life events eating up the cmos time lately. I used some of my bag o' chips last year in 2 ways: one as a mini lunetta and one as a panel on my large lunetta. The mini lunetta has been sold and the biggin still has the 4051's,4052's, 4001's, 4011's.

My feeling from last year was that the goal was not so much about using all 25 chips but more about what you find useful for your purposes. So if you want to make a giant patchable lunetta cool. If you want to make a pocket sized, stand alone synth, effect stompbox, drum machine, voice changer, etc. - that's cool too.

Whether it takes you 4 chips or 25, your end result is "yours" and some of us might say, "Hey, I think I might try that ic or set of chips".

Still up in the air whether I will build something for this. In the middle of a spare lunetta modules makeover. In the end it's about getting people motivated to build something.

transponderfish

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Draal wrote:
In the end it's about getting people motivated to build something.

No worries, at least I am motivated Smile

I found this forum some years ago, but the massive mount of info simply overwhelmed me.
Now, after digesting Nic Collins' book (both issues) it all makes sense, after reading the complete Lunetta-threads I can assure that the steep learning-curve can be mastered.

I am visiting this site almost daily, but am not posting wildly because I feel I should post some results that would qualify as "Lunetta" in the widest sense before I speak about my plans, successes or failures. (It would be a deterioration of this wonderful forum if I would boast here with my WSG, APC and Cacophonator...) It was called good signal/noise ratio somewhere else and I support this view.

Lurking is a good thing Wink
Page 3 of 3 [65 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: