electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
What was going on in 1975?!
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
orczy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: What was going on in 1975?! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hiya.
I was checking out a new turntable today (linear tracking-nice!), and I chose 1975 to test (I have my LPs in chronological order of recording -I know its anal, but......)
So many good examples of great instrumental / electronic music there:
The Berlin Trilogy: Rubycon, Timewind, Epsilon in Malaysian Pale (Oh man!)
Synergy --realizations for Rock Orchestra
Jan Hammer-The First Seven Days
Bo Hansson-Attic Thoughts (a personal fav)
Todd Rundgren-Initiation (Side Two=36 mins on instrumental synth rock)
Tomita-Pictures at an Exhibition
Eno- Discreet Music, Another Green World, Evening Star
Chick Corea-The Leprechaun (ok, it has singing, but its so quirky)
Mike Oldfield -Ommadawn
Vangelis-Heaven and Hell, La Fete Sauvage
Kraftwerk-Radioactivity
Walter Carlos- By Request
Patrick Moraz- The Story of I

That's not a bad line up.
What is interesting is the use of the same patches. Oberheim synths?
Also, a few of these artists were just finding their feet. Interesting to compare Rundgren and Eno. Or Vangelis and Eno for that matter.
I'd really interested in your opinions on this remarkable year.
Cheers
Chris
elektro80
Site Admin

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1975 was a great year.

I dunno if the patches were all the same, but much of the gear was. The EMS synths were very popular ten. Models like the VCS3 and the AKS were "all over the place". The ARPs had been on the market for some time ( the 2500/2600/Odyssey ). The Minimoog was also popular. Oberheim had already released the SEM and in 75 Oberheim issued the 2 voice. However, the real revolution started to happen in the end of 1975 and lasted way into the early 80s. It was then the affordable gear started to appear and the huge Oberheims came a tad later than 75.
A lot of the synth music at the time was recorded pretty much live, or with little overdubs. They were using 2-8 track reel to reel recorders. This meant that they really didn?t have much chance to add effects and additional processing. Good plates were expensive, and the little reverb they were using was mostly spring-based. Tape echo was another matter altogether. Very Happy
Certain synth sounds were still exciting, and those quacking Odysseys and Minimoogs could be heard on many albums at the time. Approx. by 1975 synths had become huge in electric jazz and for the next 6 years a lot of "fusion" albums would be released.. all full of synthleads and such.

Organs were still popular and many would process their organ sounds with filters and/or synth modules. The fender Rhodes was in fashion still, and many synthmuisc albums featured the Rhodes too.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elektro80 wrote:
Approx. by 1975 synths had become huge in electric jazz and for the next 6 years a lot of "fusion" albums would be released.. all full of synthleads and such.

yesterday I bought a couple of used CDs whose music was recorded in 1972: Mahavisnu Orchestra: Birds of Fire and Weather Report: I sing the body electric. Both Jan Hammer and Joe Zawinul were already using synths on those recordings. Both albums have a distinctive sound that bring me back memories of those long gone years when I was a teenager Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
orczy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh yeah, I dig Zawinul! He is very underrated. His work on Silent Way, Bitches Brew, his eponymous LP, Sweetnighter, Mysterious Traveller. He was such a tasty Rhodes player, never overplays. His synth work was always tasteful, unlike some of the others in the genre. Mahavishnu I sometimes really like, other times the virtuosity factor gets in the way, but I really like the first two LPs.
Both these bands hit a lull in '75 I feel. Weather Report "Tale Spinnin'" I think is a bit lightweight, although there is one track I really like. Mahavishnu LP for the year leaves a lot to be desired, although again, there is one track that is soooo funky and dirty, it is hard not to rock out to. (Air drums!)
seraph
Editor
Editor

Audio files: 33
G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

mustel1216922 wrote:
Oh yeah, I dig Zawinul!

check it out:
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-1677.html

Quote:
Don't die with your music still in you - Wayne Dyer
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Reviews, Editorials and Commentary » Commentary and Editorials
Jump to: