electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
I don't know what to do
Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
JingleJoe

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: I don't know what to do Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I find myself no longer looking forwards to reading posts here but dreading coming back to another misunderstanding due to someone being too presumptuous or having no sense of humour, I dread having to deal with spiteful replies which are purposefully insulting and belittling.
I think I quit.
Most of you are great creators but one bad apple spoils the barrel.
I came back here after a month or two of absence only to have it start again right away but the moment I thought I was rid of two of those bad apples it seems like another has popped up.
I don't know if it's worth subjecting myself to this just to talk about electronics, if it's going to keep going on, because I'm not going to stand by while I'm misinterpreted and insulted. I'll set the record straight and if you don't like it, it's your own problem because I never try to offend anyone; you can only take offence, not give it (unless it's intentional).
Anyways, I just wanted to say goodbye incase anyone wonderd where I'd gone again.

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Blue Hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 158
G2 patch files: 318

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sorry to read that Joe Crying or Very sad

And I'm sorry to not have been able to make you feel at home better.

JingleJoe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGmAekTPD5c
1:50 onwards is the most applicable part

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Too bad, it needs flash.

(which I don't have ... as everything by Adobe touched turned into gold)

elektro80
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Turn on the Developer menu in Safari and choose "Safari on iPad". Then you have access to the HTML5 / mp4 savvy version of youtube.

MySpace
SoundCloud
Flickr
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some youtube stuff is html5, not all though .. or maybe I don't have the right codecs for firefox.
MusicMan11712

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

JingleJoe wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGmAekTPD5c
1:50 onwards is the most applicable part

I haven't been paying attention to the issue(s) you seem to be involved with, but I watched the video and found some of it speaks directly to me and my experience here with someone here who (in chat) interpreted me, my words, and my way of responding in the world in a way that was colored by how he saw the world. My explanations of how he was misinterpreting me fell on deaf ears. Clearly people can have different perceptions, but if someone were to tell me that I misunderstood them and explained the misunderstanding, I'd like to think I would be able to (1) see that and (2) make it right.

However, in my experience, nothing I said would sway the person from holding what I felt was a misinterpretation.

Before a series of online conversations (chat) I held a highly positive impression of what I perhaps euphorically imagined as a wonderful community full of people with whom I held common interests. Unfortunately, I tried to engage "the misinterpreter" in what I hoped would be enlightening, reasoned conversation.

The net result is that I took a hiatus, and although I have returned, my unlimited enthusiasm has not yet returned, and in fact, is only a small portion of what it had been.

Again, I haven't followed the issues you have been involved with, and I have no suggestions.

I still have virtual friends and acquaintances here with whom I interact and I am very glad for those friendships and connections.

I hope my comments in some way help you find a comfortable way of being in the community.

Steve
elmegil

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Are there "block" filters of any sort here, or perhaps available for PHPBB?

It's a step that's not usually fun to take, but can make online communities tolerable in the face of those who refuse to play nice.
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 39

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MusicMan11712 wrote:
However, in my experience, nothing I said would sway the person from holding what I felt was a misinterpretation.

Before a series of online conversations (chat) I held a highly positive impression of what I perhaps euphorically imagined as a wonderful community full of people with whom I held common interests. Unfortunately, I tried to engage "the misinterpreter" in what I hoped would be enlightening, reasoned conversation.

An Irishman walks into a bar in which an epic brawl is in full swing. He walks up to the bartender and asks, "Is this a private fight, or can anybody join in?"

Don't worry, I am surrounded by a substantially Irish-blooded wife and kids! I'm allowed to have a sense of humor.

Fear not, Dr. Steve. No need to watch out for walking on egg shells, or to worry overly when stepping on one perhaps well placed. Friends don't inundate friends with chickenshit. The rest, though unfortunate, is essentially noise in the signal.
Quote:

The net result is that I took a hiatus, and although I have returned, my unlimited enthusiasm has not yet returned, and in fact, is only a small portion of what it had been.

Be of good cheer. We need you here to keep the S/N ratio up santa

Required reading before entering the WWW. The key bit:
Quote:

A stupid person is a person who causes losses to another person or to a group of persons while himself deriving no gain and even possibly incurring losses.

Take care Very Happy

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
With a stupid person all this is absolutely impossible as explained by the Third Basic Law. A stupid creature will harass you for no reason, for no advantage, without any plan or scheme and at the most improbable times and places. You have no rational way of telling if and when and how and why the stupid creature attacks. When confronted with a stupid individual you are completely at his mercy. Because the stupid person's actions do not conform to the rules of rationality, it follows that:

a) one is generally caught by surprise by the attack; b) even when one becomes aware of the attack, one cannot organize a rational defense, because the attack itself lacks any rational structure.

The fact that the activity and movements of a stupid creature are absolutely erratic and irrational not only makes defense problematic but it also makes any counter-attack extremely difficult - like trying to shoot at an object which is capable of the most improbable and unimaginable movements. This is what both Dickens and Schiller had in mind when the former stated that "with stupidity and sound digestion man may front much" and the latter wrote that "against stupidity the very Gods fight in vain."

Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I actually find this community to be one of the least flame ridden places I have ever visited. Maybe that is why the few occasional issues are blown way out of proportion - they seem really big when compared to so few other problems.

In the end - you just have to realize that this is the internet and not real life.

If someone acts like an idiot because they feel safe behind the anonymity of the net then let them act like an idiot and just ignore it.

If someone is offended by something you typed then let them be angry and ignore them knowing that they must have some issues to be so offended by something someone on the other side of the world who they will never meet in person typed on the internet.

Just ignore the idiots and the mods will ban them if they get too stupid.
Blue Hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

There however is an other side, other people, involved in this which did not get mentioned yet ...

in the light of this thread those other people would be offenders and be judged already .. almost ... but it is not as easy as that .. if it were evil people only ... I could ban .. yet life is not such, the other side involved is made of respected people in this community as well.

I will not point fingers, as I do not know what to do either really ... but could this be an opportunity maybe for the other side to speak as well?

I do realize that such may not be easy in this context .. so you will be forgiven, but still hoping some dialog could emerge ... I will not believe in Evil Shocked

Acoustic Interloper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
There however is an other side, other people, involved in this which did not get mentioned yet ...

in the light of this thread those other people would be offenders and be judged already .. almost ... but it is not as easy as that .. if it were evil people only ... I could ban .. yet life is not such, the other side involved is made of respected people in this community as well.

I will not point fingers, as I do not know what to do either really ... but could this be an opportunity maybe for the other side to speak as well?

I do realize that such may not be easy in this context .. so you will be forgiven, but still hoping some dialog could emerge ... I will not believe in Evil Shocked

No question about it. It takes two to tango. Or is it tangle? I can never keep that straight.

My last near miss for an exchange of flames was on the Clojure programming forum a couple of summers ago. I was in the process of trying out the language, blew up their run-time system, and thought they'd want to know. Getting the exact stimuli whereby to blow up a software system should be invaluable to developers of that system for building up a base of regression tests.

Instead, one of the denizens flamed me for programming in the language incorrectly. I have no doubt that my code was inelegant. I was learning. Nevertheless, I could blow up their run-time with legal if poorly structured code, and they should have been interested. Stupid according to the above definition -- they derided my test case at a loss to themselves. (Well, himself. The actual architect of the language was someone else, and much more polite.)

I decided with an attitude like that towards test cases, their efforts were self-limiting, and not worth my time and flame resistance, so I dropped off. No snappy retorts. No flames.

My advice on getting stuck in a shitty exchange, is to drop out of the exchange, but not necessarily the forum. It's usually trivially easy to just bugger off and go do something else.

Page 1 of 1 [13 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Schmooze
Jump to: