electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Correction: I'm *not* making TR-808 Voice Boards...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 7 of 10 [238 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next

How would you like the 808 voices to be arranged?
Two pcbs with six voices each.
28%
 28%  [ 15 ]
Three pcbs with four voices each.
21%
 21%  [ 11 ]
Individual pcbs with one voice each.
50%
 50%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 52

Dougster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

djs wrote:
Hi Doug- any luck getting the forum back online? I'm guessing not..

Haven't really tried recently. I've had a couple offers of help, so I'll work something out. Any announcements about it will be published on the web site.

Quote:
Also- did the pcbs arrive for batch 3? Given your comments above, I would assume so, but just checking. If so, did they buil ok?

Yes, but I haven't actually built one of the production boards yet. I only made a couple minor changes from the last prototype, and I can tell visually that they were put on the new boards. I do want to build one of the production boards and take proper pictures as I go. That may not happen until after Christmas. (I have the week off between Christmas and New Year's day.)

Regards,
Doug

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
rosch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey Doug, am i on the list for batch 4?
if not please put me down for 1
cheers
Dougster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

rosch wrote:
hey Doug, am i on the list for batch 4?
if not please put me down for 1
cheers

OK, I'll make sure you are on the list. Smile

Regards,
Doug

Every DIY person should own a copy of Electronotes: http://electronotes.netfirms.com

Blue LEDs are evil.
rosch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

cool, thanks!
Spotta

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

effegee wrote:
Regarding the LCD, I read in the MIDIbox forum about someone using a different one (orange backlight) that he got from eBay for $6.99 USD:

http://midibox.org/forums/topic/15889-mb-808-first-test/
http://www.ebay.com/itm/16x2-LCD-Orange-Characters-Black-backlight-HD44780-New-/120748772099?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1d300b03

He did say, however:
"my lcd was a bit too large and I actually CUT THE MB-808 PCB for it to fit"

So it's certainly not for the faint of heart.

I've just seen that Tayda have started selling these http://www.taydaelectronics.com/lcd-display-16-x-2-blue-character-with-backlight.html
any chance that these will fit?

Dougster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spotta wrote:
I've just seen that Tayda have started selling these http://www.taydaelectronics.com/lcd-display-16-x-2-blue-character-with-backlight.html
any chance that these will fit?

Good price! I'll check to see if they'll fit...

EDIT: Hmm, it's pretty close, but I'm not sure. The PCB and the hole spacings are the same, BUT the CrystalFontz display is offset and the Tayda looks like it is centered on the PCB. Now, the Tayda bezel is 1mm narrower, so all is not lost yet. I'm going to measure the actual hole in the MB-808 PCB and see if there is enough slop to fit the Tayda.

I won't be able to do that until next weekend though, I'm on a business trip in Maryland until December 8.

Also, I've never used an ST7066 before, but I just read that it's HD44780 compatible.

Stay tuned, I'm going to order one of the Tayda displays to find out for sure if it works...

Regards,
Doug

Blue LEDs are evil.
effegee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I bought one of the orange backlit LCDs on eBay for $5.95 USD. I printed out the LCD portion of Doug's PCB (actual size). The mounting holes match, but the PCB window is about 1mm too narrow for the LCD. It would be easy to widen it a little (using a file?) for a good fit.
Spotta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dougster wrote:
Stay tuned, I'm going to order one of the Tayda displays to find out for sure if it works...

Cheers Doug, fingers crossed.

infindebula

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dougster wrote:
I do want to build one of the production boards and take proper pictures as I go. That may not happen until after Christmas. (I have the week off between Christmas and New Year's day.)

Do you plan to ship batch 3 kits before you build one?
Dougster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

infindebula wrote:
Do you plan to ship batch 3 kits before you build one?

Well, if you're asking whether I have tested the batch 3 boards, I have built a prototype board, and there are almost no changes between the prototype and the production boards. I really only want to build one to properly document the process. I don't think anyone wants to wait for me to build another board before I ship...

Regards,
Doug

Blue LEDs are evil.
infindebula

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Agreed! Very Happy

I know I can't speak for everyone, but I would rather work around board problems than wait.
Spotta

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

infindebula wrote:
Agreed! Very Happy

I know I can't speak for everyone, but I would rather work around board problems than wait.

yep Laughing

BIAM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

<deleted>
Last edited by BIAM on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
schmidtc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Anyone in batch 3 received an invoice for the final payment?

I think it was more than 5 years ago that I added my name to the waiting list and 3 years ago that I sent in my deposit. It's very exciting to see this coming to fruition.
HexInverter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not making any other of the voice boards, but I will be making PCBs for the 808 toms. Project thread is here at Muff's! Smile

http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-74074.html

sympleSEQ -- the simple to build analog step-sequencer

seqSQUARED -- the Analogue Pattern Generator
--> Put yourself on the hexinverter.net mailing list to be notified when in stock!
Spotta

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

schmidtc wrote:
Anyone in batch 3 received an invoice for the final payment?

I think it was more than 5 years ago that I added my name to the waiting list and 3 years ago that I sent in my deposit. It's very exciting to see this coming to fruition.

Same. It can't be much longer can it.....?

MK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Before I pay a second $100 deposit to Doug I want to be 100% sure if I (and more than 100 others) are not dealing with a fraudster. Before Doug collects another $10.000 from us all I would suggest that the following steps are taken:
-Communication will be improved.
-Pictures of the new PCB's are published.
-New pictures of all components are published.
-The new PCB will be tested on functionality, these test will also be performed by independent forum members.
-Independent forum members confirm that 100 kits are waiting to be delivered.

To speed up the process I would suggest Doug to stop the signing up for batch four and focus on batch three instead.
BIAM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

<deleted>
Last edited by BIAM on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dougster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MK wrote:
Before I pay a second $100 deposit to Doug I want to be 100% sure if I (and more than 100 others) are not dealing with a fraudster.

Sigh.

I have specifically said that I will never take deposits again.

I have had an incredible number of requests for kits, but because of posts like this, MK, I just don't want to make any more. (Refer to sub-title of thread.) There are a lot of nice people out there, so I figured I'd make one last batch, partly to let that group have a chance at getting a kit, and partly because I have about 200 more sets of the colored E-Switches that I'd like to sell to see if I can get back the $10,000+ I invested in them. Other than closing the signup list and sending out confirmation emails, I will not start on batch four until all kits from batch three are shipped. (To be pedantic, I already have the E-Switches, the potentiometers, transistors, etc, required for batch four, so I suppose in that sense, they're all intermingled.)

FWIW, I had three business trips in November and December, plus my daughter got ejected from Germany because she didn't take care of the paperwork to get her student visa. My wife and I tried to help with conference calls and even fedexing documents, but in the end, she lost her chance to stay and study. Of course, she didn't manage her money properly, so we had to make arrangements to get her home (at least she got to spend Christmas with us) and now, today, we are packing up a U-Haul trailer and driving her to Flagstaff. I'm sorry, I just blew my available time today replying to this, so I'll have to deal with email replies and web site stuff after we get back.

Regards,
Doug

Blue LEDs are evil.
BIAM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

<deleted>
Last edited by BIAM on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
infindebula

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Believe me Doug, I know that life at times can deliver the worst, most ill-timed crap. Even though I'm going through a (long overdue) separation right now, I don't think I've had to deal with a fraction of what you've had to endure over the past few years.

But for as much as these big things suck up our free time, the biggest issue people have had with you through this whole thing is the lack of communication. You've said here and elsewhere that you don't want to have to be checking forums all over the internet to find out when somebody is upset, but it seems everybody (including me) also has a story of trying to email you without getting any response.

Every delay encountered with this kit is completely forgivable! But eight-oh-eight.org keeps going stale for weeks or months (it still says you're waiting on boxes), and the problem just festers in forums like this.

I think you should consider more regular updates - spend five minutes, weekly, even if it's to say you couldn't get to this project over the past week. Maybe updating eight-oh-eight is too labour intensive, and you could be using a blog instead ... nowadays they're easy to update even from your phone.

In any case, I'm sorry to hear things didn't work out in Germany for your daughter, and I hope you get back safely from Flagstaff. Have a happier new year!
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no point in asking for updates anymore

from 808.org

As of December 28, 2012, I am now ceasing all involvement with any and all forums, mailing lists and newsgroups. Specifically, I will no longer respond to posts on the electro-music forum. Please don't taint their good forum and expect me to take my time to reply. I need to devote what little time I have to finishing this project. The only place to get information about the MB-808 project is this web site and via email directly to me. (Doug at midibox addict dot com.)

In a way it is good electro-music does not have to host the ensuing shitstorm especially as Doug's actions do not follow the guidelines for selling PCBs on this forum , but it also means Doug has effectively fragmented and silenced those who have sent him $$ as there is no way to publicly vent.

Good Luck everybody!
synthcube

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

edited out
I had an email exchange with Doug and apologized for my snarky post.
Crying or Very sad
MK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am very surprised to hear that Doug has now almost stopped the already poor communication.

In my opinion this way of working is not acceptable at the moment of the final payment.
Peake

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Doug emailed me this week. Give him a chance to fix all of this.

"IC 741. Sometimes you don't want fidelity." -Small Bear Electronics Catalog
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 7 of 10 [238 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: