electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
finding tempo of analog sequence
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
dylar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: finding tempo of analog sequence Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi-
I have an analog synth I built from MFOS modules. I would like to record the sequencer on a computer and then use some program to identify the BPM so I can sync the sequence with a drum track.
I have used Sony Acid's beatmapper, but it doesn't do a very good job. Is there something out there that can do this well?
MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I saw a tutorial for SONAR that had a method of detecting beats and allowing a user to line them up. I have never used this feature so I can't tell you much more. Perhaps there are other SONAR users around who have used this. I am not sure if the tutorial is available on line for free or is a chapter in a larger, for pay video. I will look for the name of the feature and see if there is a free tutorial.

Does the track have a constant beat?

Steve

Addenda:

This is not the video I recall seeing, but perhaps it might be relevant. Its about the AudioSnap features: http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SONAR/X1-Producer/feature.aspx/AudioSnap-2.0 .

There is also something dealing with beat detection and manipulation working with clips in an Advanced Workshop video (paid video), but I am not sure it would meet your needs since you want to add a drum track.
DES

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Go to this website for an aproximate bpm reading:
http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm

Actually, once the sequence is in the computer (which program?) look at the waveform view and measure the time between notes. Then use the time to calculate beats per minute. Don't forget to take into account what your sequence note values are supposed to be. i.e. 1/4, 1/8 note etc. It might be easier to also record the clock driving the sequence into another channel and trying beat detective or whatever other aps you might have. The clock should give a pretty good spike that will make it easier for the apps to determine the beat.

Check you software too and see if it has a tempo track or mapping.

MusicMan11712

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DES wrote:
Go to this website for an aproximate bpm reading:
http://www.all8.com/tools/bpm.htm
That is quite handy!!!!! Thanks for posting it.
Steve
j.dilisio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quantizing is dead simple in Logic. Put the track in flex mode and choose the smallest note value.
Usually you have to manually adjust a few spots but it works pretty well.

Once it's quantized you can set it to any bpm you like.

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: