electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Opinions needed - Arturia Minibrute vs MFB Kraftzwerg
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Opinions needed - Arturia Minibrute vs MFB Kraftzwerg Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Both are in the same or similar price class, both are analogue, both are very flexible and programmable. What is your opinion if you had to decide between the two?
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It think it depends on what you need/want.

The MFB Kraftzwerg is semi-modular and patchable.

The Minibrute has a keyboard (with aftertouch I think) and an arpeggiator.

Plus they both sound different. Listen to demos online and try to figure out which one will fill a void in your current selection of gear.

patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Can the Microzwerg also function as a controller and Midi 2 CV converter? I know the Minibrute doesn't send midi messages other than note on/off. I always wanted a (semi) modular synth but the Minibrute also seems to be a pretty cool synth although it has only one OSC, but it has features that most other synths don't have plus it has the Steiner-Parker filter. I would be tempted to get both, but I would have to dip into my college funds and I'd rather avoid that. Hmmm decisions, decisions..

PS: is the Microzwerg now a fully analog or virtual analog/analog modeling synth? I know I said they were both analog but I didn't find any mentioning about it, so I assumed that it has a fully analog signal path
anigbrowl

G2 patch files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Now you need to consider the new MS-20 as well Cool
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welll... I got the Microzwerg, mainly because I like to experiment and it's a (semi) modular synth for a relatively low price, however I'm still looking into getting the Minibrute, but now I'm conflicted between that, a Realistic MG1 and a Yamaha CS15. However $800 for the Yamaha seems a bit high. Hmmmm...
SPIKE the Percussionist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

both are cool.

i have the miniBRUTE and really like it.

get some really cool noiz out of it when i hook up the Oberkorn to it!
Very Happy

it also REALLY plays well with an SH-101.

very complimentary of each other.

++

[[more noiz!]]

SPIKE the Percussionist

- http://www.manipulate.net -

ASTROGENIC HALLUCINAUTING
CoRE - Troupe Music Director
DOGGEBI
morgue city
Venn Diagram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

patrickvf1976 wrote:
Welll... I got the Microzwerg, mainly because I like to experiment and it's a (semi) modular synth for a relatively low price, however I'm still looking into getting the Minibrute, but now I'm conflicted between that, a Realistic MG1 and a Yamaha CS15. However $800 for the Yamaha seems a bit high. Hmmmm...

CS15 would IMHO be a no brainer but I am not a fan of the Minibrute and not huge fan of the Moog "sound" - personally I'd probably look at the Basstation 2 or an SEM patchpanel (which would be my next choice of analog).

http://venndiagram.ca

https://soundcloud.com/venndigram

https://myspace.com/venndiagram
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, here's an update - I got the Microzwerg AND the CS15 AND the MG1... and now I'm waiting for an PAIA 2720 to arrive at my door step Very Happy
The MG1 however is in pieces because the keys wouldn't play right (varying volume, or not at all) and they are extremely corroded thus need a lot of careful scraping and scratching one at a time.. ugh.. but I'm happy with what I got. But now I'm conflicted AGAIN.. head banging monitor Minibrute vs Bass Station II. Any opinions about these two?
Venn Diagram

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Bass Station II by a country mile - just a nicer sounding synth all round.

http://venndiagram.ca

https://soundcloud.com/venndigram

https://myspace.com/venndiagram
patrickvf1976

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah the specs look pretty good. What are your opinions on the Paia 2700/2720? I paid $500 for it and am waiting anxiously for it to arrive. You think it's a good modular or did I throw money out for a piece of crap? I'd like to see a decent, raw demo of it, not just some random patching and noodling around on a badly built Paia modular and I don't care much for heavily processed multitracked demos. I would like to see a raw, informative, cool demo of this synth.
Page 1 of 1 [10 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Instruments and Equipment » General Discussion
Jump to: