electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
BOSS DR-110 mods
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
am4d

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: DR-110 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey guys
I'm going to mod this 110 I've picked up and was hoping for a little advice.

Would anyone recommend using any particular apms for the individual outs or are they loud enough as it is?

Regarding the trigger inputs; Is it plausible to do this using an arduino? Only because I have one laying about. (Never used PIC before either)
I don't think you can get negative voltage from an arduino, but maybe the arduino and 4049 can achieve this? I'm thinking the arduino might not need the 4050? (What does the 4050 do?)

Failing that i'll take the PIC route, but i'm not sure where to begin with that...

I was thinking out mounting it all with *tonal* mods in a little hammond case for triggering with modular ect.
Sorry for all the vague questions
Any advice you guys can give would be swell Wink
creekree

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what do you want to use the arduino for?

adding trigger inputs to the dr110 is trivial - look at the schematics and identify the trigger input lines on the ribbon cable that connects the two boards.
to use a trigger signal with those inputs, you will need to convert it from v-trig to s-trig (which means, a simple short to ground).

use the "moog trigger converter circuit" to do that.
http://www.cyborgs.de/synthesizer/faq/V-S-Trigger.JPG
THeff

Audio files: 30

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Perfboard Dr-110 Voices Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is my second post today. The first was about the Hammond B3 Propeller, and this one is about another project I have been working on the last few weeks. I have never owned a DR-110 or played with one, so I decided to try and perfboard all of the DR-110 voices and see what they sounded like. Here is a little demo of the perfboard. I mentioned the Propeller B3 post because I am using the same MIDI file here but this time all of the instruments in the MP3 demo are from a Yamaha MU-50 except the drums. All of the drums are from the DIY DR-110 board. I used BC550 and BC560 transistors throughout except for the snare drum, that was a 2SC945 with a very high HFE.

The row of eight transistors in the top middle of the board are inverters and signal conditioners for the triggers. The blue DIP resistor array are the eight input triggers. I am going to add a small 8 pin PIC microcontroller to provide the the four sequential triggers needed for the clap voice.

Regards,

Theff

DIY Perf DR-110.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  132.32 KB
 Viewed:  176 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

DIY Perf DR-110.jpg

Green Eyed Lady - DIY DR-110 Drums.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Green Eyed Lady - DIY DR-110 Drums.mp3
 Filesize:  5.29 MB
 Downloaded:  281 Time(s)

Last edited by THeff on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan Lavin

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Theff:
That is some crazy amount of perfboarding! I thought of doing this in the past but knowing the number of connections made me sober up! Wink I ended up buying a less-than-perfect DR110 for a reasonable price and completing it that way. Feel free to use my PicAxe program to do the hand clap triggers. Nice job!

THeff

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Dan,

Thanks, I started out just wanting to see what the cymbals sounded like and then couldn't stop building. I built each voice one at a time and tested them as I went along. Thanks for the PicAxe suggestion!

Regards,

Theff
richardc64

Audio files: 25

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dan Lavin wrote:
Theff:
That is some crazy amount of perfboarding!

It's hardcore Sounds authentic, too!

THeff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks richardc64!

I was surprised how good the OH, CH, and Cymbals sounded compared to most of the white noise/multi-oscillator circuits that I played with before. That's what kept me building the additional voices. Boss really did their homework when they designed the filters and VCA envelopes for the DR-110. Simple but very effective.

Theff
MusicMan11712

Audio files: 148

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I love this song. It is a classic from the early '70s and it shows off your drums quite nicely.
Steve
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A beautiful,
Awe inspiring,
and, given my current, chaotic, construction circumstances,....
slightly frustrating build.

Paradigm X

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah brilliant job THeff, awesome.

I saw your perfboarded klee too, crazy.
creekree

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Holy sh.. THeff!

That is some lovely breadboarding!
Would you mind sharing the PIC code? I totally forgot about those four essential clap triggers. I modded mine years ago - and it has been on constant loan to a friend in Belgium BUT I he is coming over next month, and he will bring it back!
I think I will work on it some more then.
THeff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Guys!

I have only done a very quick and dirty version of the PIC code using a 12F675. I am going to clean it up soon and will certainly post it here when it's done.

Regards,

Theff
maxdemian

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

As I am modding my DR110 at the moment I just want to add one thing that is maybe quite obviuos but I did not find any Information about it:

If you are like me not up for making a PXACE controlled Clap trigger thing,
but want the clap to be triggered externaly just go straight to the buttons on the digital board.

I first tried to cross the points with some transistor, but somehow this was behaving very very sensetiv and did not work for me.

So what I am using now is this optocoupler: http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/88206/HP/HCPL-817.html

I also thought of using the 4016 or 4066 but I just found these optocouplers lying around, so i am using them now, works perfectly with my highly liquid md24.

Also on the clap! Smile
richy_rich

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've had a broken one of these kicking about for decades (seems like), I recently found this forum/thread and decided to do something with it.

This is what I ended up with Smile The logic board on mine was scrap and the power supply was b0rked (guessing someone plugged it into something they shouldn't?) I powered it up on the bench and could trigger the individual sounds using the tempo clock signal, so I figured I could salvage something out of it.

I applied most of the mods in this thread, so nothing new to report really and added individual trigger ins for each sound (and accent). I haven't got round to triggering the clap properly but probably will do at some point (enough other stuff to work on at the moment).

I put it in an old first aid box because that was the first thing I found that was roughly the right size...

Just waiting for some knobs to finish Smile

p.s. by the way hi everyone, I've been messing about with electronics and synths for as long as I can remember. I should be better at it - I got a degree in electronics in the early '90s but spent most of the time playing with synths instead Twisted Evil

10006591_10152373537163115_3746552851746482386_n.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.58 KB
 Viewed:  34 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

10006591_10152373537163115_3746552851746482386_n.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 2 of 2 [39 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: