electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
DeLurking
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
autowitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: DeLurking Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all!

I've been lurking here for a bit and finally have started building a lunetta of my own. This is a whole new world for me and is a lot of fun.

Anyway, here's what I've got going on right now:

A 40106 driving 6 oscillators. Three are completely hooked up and three still need to be wired up to the panel
    A 4093 quad gated oscillator
    A 4046 pitch tracker
    A LM348 based tone generator kit that has been tweaked a bit to turn it into a VCO
    The infamous Slacker Melody Generator
    A 8 input passive mixer
    And finally a WSG (my learn to solder kit Smile )

Combining the melody generator with the pitch tracker is more fun than it should be.

Here's some videos:

http://vimeo.com/autowitch/noiseismagic

http://vimeo.com/57945165

-aw
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Draal welcomes you, former lurker Smile .

Really nice looking lunetta there; diggin' the knobs too. Very good set up of modules to play with. The pitch tracker to me is like what a fuzz pedal is to an electric guitarist; a simple but powerful sound enhancer. Even just running two separate oscillators into a gating ic like a 4070, 4011, 4001, can produce huge varieties to timbres with the 4046 pitchy.

Well done Exclamation

RingMad

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Welcome to Lunettaland, autowitch. You are definitely off to a good start... nice machine you're building!

James.
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

welcome party!

hope you have lots of fun (sure looks like it Very Happy)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
autowitch

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have been having a lot of fun with it Very Happy Learning a lot! I haven't decided if the building or playing is more fun.

I just added a 4040 divider last night - I think putting in more logic gates is next. That should lead to interesting things.
Draal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dividers like the 4040 come in real handy for me. They are the "notes" that get selected in patches when connected to the 4051, 4052 or 4512 data selectors. Easy way to get different pitches.

And yes indeed, a few logic chips help create interesting strings of beats to manipulate.

I have two lunettas currently and I treat em like old Chevy's. Love em and I'm always changing out a few parts; never really "done". Laughing

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The problem I have with the 4040 is if you want to use the divisions to trigger drum voices, you will have to invert every output to bring it all into sync. It's a real pain as it increases the IC count or involves a lot of transistors.

If you just want to make beep noises then this probably wont concern you. I wish there was another IC which didn't have this issue. Perhaps there is and I haven't found it yet. Laughing
Draal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I hear ya, minus. My machines are nothing close to a drum machine Laughing ! More like conversations between Galaga and Asteroids arcade machines.

There I go dating myself again Rolling Eyes .

-minus-

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ha! Well there was one thing you posted somewhere which I thought was interesting... although I'm not sure where. Confused It was where you used maybe just 3 IC's in a patch. It was a video I think.

It's easy to get over ambitious with these things. You can do a lot with very little if you choose carefully. There seems to be a convex curve to this Lunetta thing. It gets to the point where adding more ICs does less to the noise than they once did when you had just a handful to play around with. There might be a point of critical mass Laughing .

In fact, I have made sounds with just ONE IC which give much more elaborate machines a run for their money in terms of random hands off blip bleep crackle click blooping.
Draal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

@minus: Probably something like the 4046 pitch tracker video where I ran 2 oscillators into a gate of some kind and the output was fed to the tracker. Tons of variety with just those chips made me rethink how big a lunetta has to be to be "worth it".

I remember many a night trying to come up with something really cool by plugging more stuff in and getting frustrated. In the end, I realized simpler IS better Shocked .

Grand statements right? Maybe, but after spending a few years on these like you and I have - affords us some... leeway Laughing .

Sorry to derail the thread Laughing !

autowitch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

-minus- wrote:
The problem I have with the 4040 is if you want to use the divisions to trigger drum voices, you will have to invert every output to bring it all into sync. It's a real pain as it increases the IC count or involves a lot of transistors.

If you just want to make beep noises then this probably wont concern you. I wish there was another IC which didn't have this issue. Perhaps there is and I haven't found it yet. Laughing

I was going to try to use the 4040 to trigger drums. I hadn't thought about inverting the outputs. That would go against my plans on keeping modules as simple as possible. Plugging it into an R/2R ladder is fun. Provides plenty of beeping - and that makes me happy.
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: