electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
build advice, whats next
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Mirmite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: build advice, whats next Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i have been building alot of pedals and a bucla vco, tabula rasas , 15 +15 power supply, and mutch more, have buildt a cnc for pcb drilling and crafting.

and now i have been looking for a good moduler system to build,
but having problems finding good schematics for modules that i can build, that has bom, schematics and all,

and design that aint to old, so finding parts would be hard to get

so where is THE ultimate source for this
vladosh

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just follow the White Rabbit Cool
capicoso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello. IMO, this is the ONE :
http://yusynth.net/Modular/index_en.html
He has more than 25 modules, including vco, 4 vcfs, vca, adsr, lfos, wavefolders, mixers, random module, ring modulator... etc.
Very complete, well explained, schematics, pcbs, calibration guide(if needed). And parts aren't hard to get, just the tempcos, but that's the same with all the vcos.
The pcbs come in the right size, you don't have to scale or anything.
All the circuits are +15/-15

and this
http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/

I don't like them too much because the pcbs are way too hard to do yourself. Double sided. But he sells so you can buy them from him Wink
The circuits are very well explained.
I did the 1v/oct controller from him, the WSG, and the wall wart bipolar supply, now i'm going to do the lm317 supply.
Modules include vco, vca, adsr, dual ar, lfo, etc. There are bigger projects like the soundlab(it's an all in one) but pcbs sizes are huge, but again, if you buy them there's no prob...

Both have a section in the DIY forum. Yvess (yusynth) may even help you if you're having problems
elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another option would be to buy Analog Synthesizer for the 21st Century (http://www.lulu.com/shop/thomas-henry/an-analog-synthesizer-for-the-21st-century/ebook/product-20192699.html). It has everything you need, and in fact is JUST schematics and BOMs. Some of the circuits are available as PCBs from other people but it sounds like you're set there Smile

Speaking of which I've considered the CNC route myself, I'd be interested what advice you might have for someone who aspires to that but hasn't the first idea (other than having bought a book about it). What are you using as your drill? When I was thinking about this it seemed that for my preferred use (PCBs and Panels) I didn't need a LOT of z-axis headroom, but maybe I'm missing something?

Edit: regarding AS4t21C, it is oldER, and recommends using a couple matched transistor pairs that are harder to get, but I'm willing to bet that well matched 3904's would be fine, most all of Thomas Henry's newer designs do that instead of the monolithic route...
Mirmite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil

I bougt the pdf, and it was great, iam currently in the workings on buildig it. i have started drawing them in eagle so i can make effective clean pcb´s out of them

power supply and adsr is done and only need to do the layout in board mode. but the schematics are done and controlled.
so give me a couple of weeks and everything will be done, hafto make a order from digikey to get some of the more odd parts, for some reason we are kinda "fucked" in sweden, when it comes to parts :/

and american schematics are kinda confusing aswell Very Happy but lerning it

and about the cnc part, i have a Mantis cnc, its a real simple cnc, build with a dremel as and cheep mdf wood, cost me around 200 USD, mostly the stepper motors and controller cards, but the good part is, that the controller card, i have reuse them if i wanto build a bigger machine, i can easily do dubble sided cards with this cnc, with goood precicsion, i recomend it alot

and i am using 0.2 mm drillbits from ebay, that is using for drilling in metals, used on real cnc machines,

and i only use it for engraving and pcb making, if i need to drill a bigger hole like for a potentiometer i use the cnc to engrave outlines so i can drill with a real drill, much easier

http://makeyourbot.wikidot.com/mantis9-1

capicoso

yeah yusynth, i have build the random noise module of him, have been putting him off dued to parts that are hard to get from here.
but i should start doing his modules aswell
capicoso

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Mirmite wrote:
elmegil

I bougt the pdf, and it was great, iam currently in the workings on buildig it. i have started drawing them in eagle so i can make effective clean pcb´s out of them

power supply and adsr is done and only need to do the layout in board mode. but the schematics are done and controlled.
so give me a couple of weeks and everything will be done, hafto make a order from digikey to get some of the more odd parts, for some reason we are kinda "fucked" in sweden, when it comes to parts :/

and american schematics are kinda confusing aswell Very Happy but lerning it

and about the cnc part, i have a Mantis cnc, its a real simple cnc, build with a dremel as and cheep mdf wood, cost me around 200 USD, mostly the stepper motors and controller cards, but the good part is, that the controller card, i have reuse them if i wanto build a bigger machine, i can easily do dubble sided cards with this cnc, with goood precicsion, i recomend it alot

and i am using 0.2 mm drillbits from ebay, that is using for drilling in metals, used on real cnc machines,

and i only use it for engraving and pcb making, if i need to drill a bigger hole like for a potentiometer i use the cnc to engrave outlines so i can drill with a real drill, much easier

http://makeyourbot.wikidot.com/mantis9-1

capicoso

yeah yusynth, i have build the random noise module of him, have been putting him off dued to parts that are hard to get from here.
but i should start doing his modules aswell

some parts were hard to get here too. But there are lot of replacements, for ie, j112, opa2137. Those were hard to get. The j112 i found it. I used lf442 instead of opa2137, direct replacement
elmegil

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So the parts I was challenged to get (but did manage to get)

LM 394 matched pair (NPN; I'd sub hand matched 2N3904's or BC547's at this point)
XR-2206
2SA798 matched pair (PNP) (but I never build this as a second VCO same thing though, could hand match more common transistors successfully, I believe)
I got a "real" SSM2164 before I realized the Cool Audio V2164 was much cheaper and the same chip
8038 function generator
3080 OTA

A lot of these are key parts, but none of them were impossible, just a few were expensive (I think the matched pairs were the worst).

Thanks for the pointer on the CNC. I'll definitely start looking into that....
Osal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

An interesting VCA Very Happy :
http://electronic-sea.net/tessera.html

delayed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Is there a difference in these two? The titles are somewhat different along with the price.

The Noise Generator Cookbook
By Thomas Henry
eBook (PDF): $12.00
Download immediately.

If you think there's nothing new in the world of noise generator modules, look again! This amazing collection of over one dozen elegant and practical circuits will change your mind. They're ideally... More >
Add to Cart

More Detail

The Noise Generator Cookbook: A Complete Guide for the Do-it-Youselfer Showing How to Design and Build Noise Generatrors for Analog Synthesizers, Electronic Percussion, Audio Testing and More
By Thomas Henry
eBook (ePub for Adobe Digital Editions): $6.99
Download immediately.

If you think there's nothing new in the world of noise generator modules, look again! This amazing collection of over one dozen elegant and practical circuits will change your mind. They're ideally...
elmegil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ePub has DRM. You will likely have problems printing circuit pages.
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: build advice, whats next Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey All,

Tim Servo here. Yes, both of those books are the same. However, the epub version has DRM (Digital Rights Management) built in. It is less expensive, but it cannot be printed out and is very difficult to transfer to another device. The Noise Generator book is also available in printed or PDF formats. The PDF version can be printed out if you need to.

Also, for the Analog Synthesizer for the 21st Century book (AS21C), I carry PCBs for the XR VCO and LFO projects. Give us a shout at Magic Smoke (magsmoke@gmail.com) if you want more info.

Tim (prefers the printed version, but I'm weird like that) Servo
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: