electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Soundlab Mini Sync IN mod?
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
goab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Soundlab Mini Sync IN mod? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi folks,

This is my first post on this wonderful forum and, beware, I may be a fairly seasoned electronic musician but I'm a "have built a few noiseboxes"-beginner with the soldering iron...

I'm currently building my biggest project to date - a nanafied, patched out Soundlab Mini + a few simple stripboard additions.

I would like to replace the VCO sync switch (S9) with a banan jack to allow patching in other sync sources. Can someone confirm that this will work?

I'm assuming that the LF444/IC5 is outputting a high voltage at pin 8 per waveform cycle but I haven't gotten far enough in my electronics studies to confirm it from the schematics. Total noob, as stated. Rolling Eyes

Thanks in advance, one and all! Smile

synthkit_oscillators_002_REV001.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.15 KB
 Viewed:  68 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

synthkit_oscillators_002_REV001.gif

elmegil

Audio files: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have a bunch of other stuff to do this morning so I can't check it this second, but I will get out my soundlab and confirm for you what that waveform looks like, probably sometime this evening (central US time).

I believe you're probably correct, though I'm curious what other sources you'll sync to? It would have to have audio frequencies to make much difference, so other than the LFO cranked all the way up, I can't think of anything that would be convenient for a banana. Do you have other banana synths? Otherwise you might be better off taking it to a 1/4" jack so you're sure you get grounding between the external source and the soundlab.

Also, if you are connecting to other banana synths, you probably want to bring the ground of the soundlab up to another banana so you can ground the two of them together (assuming the other one has some kind of ground connection as well). Otherwise it's not likely to work very well....

i did a couple of banana'd soundlabs last fall, if you look around the forum you should be able to find my discussions about it here.
goab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Elmegil, that's very helpful!

I've got grounding and conversion to my EuroRack system covered so there's t´plenty of sync sources there! I'll also extend the soundlab with some new circuits (CGS Simple Wave Folder with it's pulse out, some basic logic modules etc.) so I think I can find enough audio rate squares to sync with.
goab

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm having one of those "should've read the documentation before asking"-moments...

Quote:
Oscillation occurs because as the current is sucked out of the input of integrator IC5-D its output goes high until IC5-C (comparator with hysteresis) pin 8 goes high and turns on the N-Channel FET (Q5) which shorts the integrating capacitor (CCool which causes the cycle to begin anew and subsequently repeat.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: