electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  EdisonRex Edison's Electronic Review
  Twyndyllyngs Special Monday edition of Chez Mosc
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
General Grounding Question
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
altern8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject:  General Grounding Question
Subject description: Noob needs some clarification
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have myself deep into a build consisting of various generators, filters, envelopes etc. It's all being built into a single metal case in a pseudo modular patchable/switchable configuration.

I prototyped the various components to use battery negative for ground including the audio outputs on the breadboards however in the final build the outputs will run to output patch jacks ( for internal patching but might be patched to external equipment) and an active summing stereo mixer that will definitely run to external equipment. The connections will be unbalanced.

Question: Should I run actual panel-bonded ground to the sleeves of the patch jacks, volume, pan, master out and output jack sleeves, as opposed to tying them to the -9v "ground" connections?

alieneYe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hello

are you using one battery to create a single sided power supply (+, -), or are you using two batteries to create a bi polar power supply (+, GND, -)?

if using a single sided supply, the - of the batt will technically be the ground so it will run to all component grounds. in past single sided supply projects i've built, i've had no problems with the negative creating hums/loops/or noise personally so you should be fine.

dual power supplies use one batt's + connected to the other batt's - to create the ground for the +:gnd:- supply

what kind of jacks will you be using for your input/output? 1/4", 1/8", banana?

if using jacks with a "sleeve" (gnd) connection with single sided supplies the negative of the battery will go to all ground connections. unless you plan on electrically isolating the connectors from the metal panel, with nylon spacers and nuts on the jacks, the negative side of the battery will get to the panel because of how the jacks are made.

banana jacks are usually isolated and only a single conductor with no ground attachment.

as far as the balanced aspect, balancing only really comes into play on long runs, 25'+

hope i've clearly explained and gives you some help
altern8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the response. I'm using a single-sided supply. Connectors will all be 1/4 TS (stereo outs and a handful of I/O patch points).

I started wondering about panel grounding while plotting out my back panel wiring. My build incorporates the MFOS Noise Toaster VCF and I noticed on his back panel wiring diagram he's got a "GND" line from the CutOff pot that ends up on the output jack. I currently have the CutOff pot ground connection going to the virtual ground -- fine, but he speaks of panel grounding too so I'm scratching my head wondering what gets bonded to the panel and why the virtual ground would run to the output jack.

Posting image below for reference.
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

alieneYe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

let me amend my response because i've never built this item and it does seem, according to the schematic, that he's created a virtual ground with R37 R42 C13 C14 C15.

to be on the safe side i would go ahead with wiring the way he has it set up on his diagram using the Vground for your "sleeve" points on your jacks.

as far as panel grounding he might just be being redundant because whatever "line" you send to that "sleeve" lug on your TS connector will be in physical contact with the panel. (note the NOTE to the left of the GND box on the diagram you posted)

you may have to do some experimenting with the connections depending on the power supply set up for the other modules within your build.

in contrast the WSG ground is created from the negative terminal of the battery.

this design, noise toaster, is new to me as i am also a relative newcomer to EE (couple years of self taught knowledge)

hope this further helps
altern8

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes very much so. The redundancy point confirms everything. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » MusicFromOuterSpace.com designs by Ray Wilson
Jump to: