electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Ciao, I'm here to learn!
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
CosaDoppia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject:  Ciao, I'm here to learn! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, I'm new here Smile I'm a 21 Italian girl, I love listen to different types of electronic music (for examples Recoil, How To Destroy Angels, the latest NIN albums with Atticus Ross, Massive Attack, Alessandro Cortini, Trentemøller, Crosses and many others...). I started to use Ableton, just for fun, I don't expect to be or become a musician, I understand it's a little late approach music for the first time at age 21. I don't now if one day I will approach to hardware stuff like synth & Co., I hope so, but it seems too far. I'm watching a lot of Ableton video tutorial, I'm studying musical theory with keyboard, I'm experiencing and I'm recording some stuff that I think isn't so bad... but my problem is I have no musical training or education, I'm not able to play piano or any other type of musical instrument, and I can feel this limit so clearly...
Can you give me some tips to improve or am I a hopeless case (tutorial, books titles, tips from your experiences, any type of tips XD)?
Thank you Very Happy (and sorry for my bad English Embarassed ).
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is never too late Smile

Welcome....
Acoustic Interloper

Audio files: 89

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It sounds like you are headed in a good direction. I'd recommend listening to lots of different kinds of music, and try lots of different things with Live, and practice and improve the things that work well for you. Music is a big space to explore, and indeed it's never too late to explore it.
Synthrabbi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

elmegil wrote:
It is never too late Smile

Welcome....

First, I have to say a big "amen" to that. I have said this to people in their 20s 30s 40s and all the way up to people in their 80s (I just recently said it to my mom who's about 86)

Music is a form of play. It's as simple and as complicated as that. Depending on what someone's goals are will determine how much work and/or play needs to be done.

But it's play. Full stop. All humans can play. And with a little investment in time, we can play well enough to please ourselves and some others.

You are right in terms of time. But not in terms of age. Anyone at any age can invest time depending on what they have to give and can improve in their musical abilities, creativity, and output. And now with the tools we have available, it's really an open field. It's like a Frontier.

<h1>Acoustic Interloper Said:</h1>

It sounds like you are headed in a good direction.

Again, agreed.

<h2>And then added:</h2>

I'd recommend listening to
lots of different kinds of music, and try lots of different things with Live, and >practice and improve the things that work well for you. Music is a big space to >explore, and indeed it's never too late to explore it.

Exactly. It's all about having open ears. Both for yourself and for other music. The more you listen to, the more things you have to draw upon. This is how it is with all art.

There are no limits. Only those we impose upon ourselves in this world of music. And besides, relatively speaking, 21 years of age is still young. You got plenty of time to develop your musical skills, creativity, and output.

I look forward to hearing some of your music someday.

Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't agree more with all that Synthrabbi, Acoustic Interloper and elmegil have said.
Saying you can't play cos you haven't been trained is like saying you can't balance your finances cos you're not an accountant.
Or you can't navigate a computer cos you don't have MS certificates.

Music equals fun. You learn what you need in order to do what you find fun. Remember that fun things make you want to do them again. This creates an unburdened exploration of what's possible. Some things will please you more than others. You can draw on these to create more fun. Then, to a greater or lesser extent the play becomes it's own reward, and the loop starts again. Fun equals music.

Practice doesn't need to make perfect. Practice just needs to absorb and blend your own unique canvas of possibilities.

And even when you can play really well,
There will be times when you don't play,...and that's okay.

I heard a few tracks off an album by a dude who uses the hums and whirls of electrical machinery as a foundation to write his pieces of music.
The pieces of music were absolutely beautiful, unique, inspiring.
But what do you think the chances are, that he can play Rachmaninoff?
Or can sing like Freddy Mercury?
Or dance like Peter Garret? ( Confused Embarassed ) Laughing

I think you get what I mean. Very Happy

CosaDoppia

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the encouraging replies Very Happy

I think I'm becoming addicted to Ableton... it's really fun and not so difficult to use... but when I see some YouTube videos about moogs, physical synths/drum machines... Shocked i want them Shocked i want Shocked want want want Shocked lol

Btw I'll put online some of my creation as soon as possible, so you'll can tell me how to improve...

My problem is that I don't like to use pre-made loops but I have also difficulties to create my own loops and sounds (probably cause I still don't know how to do)... so I started to use Native Instruments Massive and ReWire with Ableton... but I can't tell you if I have problems because I just started to use them yesterday Razz maybe they aren't the right softwares?

*Sorry for my English*
Gnodna

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

your english is good
lrnz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: dsf Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

If you enjoy making music then i think 21yrs isn't too late to start.
In my opinion you should buy a midi keyboard just to play a bit with the sounds in ableton. I don't know anything about ableton because i use logic Smile
CosaDoppia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Gnodna wrote:
your english is good

thanks Razz Embarassed it's a great compliment for me Very Happy
but if you hear my pronunciation I sound like:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

hihih cheesy

lrnz wrote:
In my opinion you should buy a midi keyboard just to play a bit with the sounds in ableton.

you're right Very Happy
in the next few months I'll move in UK (London or Brighton, I have to decide), I'll buy it there
right now I use the keyboard of the PC
really uncomfortable cheesy
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Discussion » Introduce Yourself
Jump to: