electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
generator env
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
blackyellow

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: generator env Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

envelope
Last edited by blackyellow on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
bubzy

Audio files: 64

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

make sure you are using the correct power output from your baby10.
the ad that scott has drawn there takes a 5v signal in, check that you have the same power for both, im also assuming you havent used a biploar supply for the lm324 as in this schematic its using a single supply.
also you mention when the gate isnt active, unless you have some AND gate magic, the gate is ALWAYS active on a baby10 unless you have a gap of more than one step.
http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/view/26855/TI/CD4017.html
page "3-52" here shows the rising and falling edges of the outputs, as you can see there is no gap between "1" and "2" on the pulses, this would create a continuous gate out. the way around this is to use an AND gate with the clock pulse (which does have a definate "gap" when its "off") and the gate output from the baby10

im not an expert on this but thats my suggestion of a few things to try.
also check the pulldown resistor into thte trigger input.

blackyellow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sequencing
Last edited by blackyellow on Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Psyingo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

what kind of capacitor are you using for the input to the AD? is it polarized? if so which direction is the - side facing? that may have something to do with it...
Uncle Krunkus

Audio files: 52
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey blackyellow!
I don't know where you got the above schematic, or did you compile it? Anyway, I just wannna say thanks heaps!! Very Happy
I've been wondering about dioin one for ages. But I wanted to hook it up to the Klee Sequencer to keep it all together. Great set of schems. Whoever put them together must have known just what I was lookin for.
Very inspiring.
I'll start a new thread if I get it happening soon. I'll prob just breadboard it up first. I've a really good display matrix for it.
Thanks again! Cool
Uncle Krunkus

analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I don't know if it will interest anyone, but I've added the schematic for my Super Stylophone Dual ASD EG, see:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-54950.html

This was based on a very simple earlier schematic, which I can't find at the moment. Sorry about the drawing quality - it's my original scrawled version Smile I added the positive trigger (it originally triggered on negative pulses), the inversion circuit, switchable ranges and a trigger indicator. It seems to work very well, but I'm sure that it can be improved upon. The bracketed numbers refer to the other half of the circuit (only one ASD EG is shown). The zener may not be necessary - I added it to restrict the maximum envelope level.

Hope that it helps someone,

Gary

ADDITIONAL

With the benefit of hindsight, I would use bigger resistors for R21 and R22 (330K and 100K respectively). Also, I think that R17(R18) and R19(R20) are a bit OTT. I'd try 1M0 instead of 10M here. Finally, C3 should be a 100nF, not a 100uF.

Dual ASD EG.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  312.47 KB
 Viewed:  238 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Dual ASD EG.jpg

Last edited by analog_backlash on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
prgdeltablues

Audio files: 12

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

On the O.P. questions, the 100n input cap and the pull-down resistor turn the gate 0-5V signal into a short, positive going spike (the capacitor essentially blocks the DC signal, which is why you are only reading a few mV there). The first op-amp then inverts this into a negative going trigger, which is what the 555 requires - the trigger needs to drop below 1/3 of the supply voltage to work. With a 5V supply, that should be 1.67V. But because the opamp is being powered by a single-sided supply (that is, +5V and Ground, not +5V and -5V), the non-inverting pin is tied not to Ground but to a bias voltage of +2.5V. That means the inversion is about +2.5V not about 0V. I can't quite work that one out in my head, but it might be that your trigger isn't quite going low enough to trigger the 555.

You could test by disconnecting everything before Pin 2 of the 555, add a 100k pull-up resistor ((ie between pin 2 and +5V), then if you momentarily ground pin 2 with a piece of wire to ground, the 555 should trigger.

Peter
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Developers' Corner
Jump to: