electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
Live streaming at radio.electro-music.com

host / artist show at your time
  Faux Pas Quartet and friends Music From Last Thursday
Please visit the chat
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Benjolin like Lunetta scheme
Page 2 of 2 [46 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
kaputtpanzer

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DGTom wrote:
Nice & Crunchy with those extra XORs processing Cool

Some interesting stuff; the good thing about the 4046 is its super easy to tap off a nice saw wave as well which is good to mix in with the squares from time to time. I used a 4M7 for the static timing resistor which gives a really broad range with a 1M pot.

How do you get a sawtooth wave from the 4046? Do you have schematic?
Thanks
adamon

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That's some great sounding stuff Tom! Please do post schematics if you can, they would be most appreciated. Also, would you mind explaining the simple transistor envelope a bit?
DGTom

G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

adamon, google up the service manual / schematics for the Roland TR-808; its like a lesson in miniaturisation, or, how to squeeze a synth voice into the smallest part count possible. The envelopes for the drums are more or less resistor / capacitors driven by transistors, the VCAs are transistors etc.

kaputtpanzer wrote:
How do you get a sawtooth wave from the 4046? Do you have schematic?

Check out what U2 & U4 are doing in this schem;

http://www.musicsynthesizer.com/WoggleBug/WOGGLSCH.GIF

Basically you tap into the timing capacitor with a pair of diodes & buffer the output with a voltage follower. I should say "saw-tooth-ish" its not perfect, but, mixed in with the squarewave it does add some nice flavour.

Here is a simplified version of what I'm working on, should work with lunettas. My version buffers the R/2R & has a comparator on the External Input so that its compatible with my analog modular.

Hope the drawing makes sense. I use headers alot, keeps the drawing easier for me to follow & its how I hook stuff up; my stripboard builds use very little wire these days, I just solder the board to the back of the pots / banana jacks.

About the audio clip; recorded straight from the breadboard again, but, keep in mind I'm using the "Rungler-esque" set-up as a set of control voltages, the sound is a SVF, the output of the Clock is ringing the filter, the VCO is being used, but, only to produce a hi-freq. pulse train to be loaded into the 4021 data input.

I've noticed that the higher the frequency of the VCO the more 'random' the networks output. It'd be interesting to add a divider, or even a Melody Generator, to the 2 x 4046 + 4021 CMOS Benjolin. Have the VCO run really fast, clock the 4017 & use the rungler bits to control the 4051.

Almost_Havoc.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  57.2 KB
 Viewed:  515 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Almost_Havoc.png

Havoc_Kontrol.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Havoc_Kontrol.mp3
 Filesize:  1.09 MB
 Downloaded:  361 Time(s)

kaputtpanzer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very nice and mellow sound. Thank you for the advice with the diodes, I will try this later.
tjookum

Audio files: 26

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

very nice DGtom! I love the effect of having chaos mixed with some regularity, it works very well.
noise
electri-fire

Audio files: 4
G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DGTom wrote:
It'd be interesting to add a divider, or even a Melody Generator

Greetings from sunny France, I'm on holiday. I did just that, drive the melody generator with the 40106-4015-4070 rungler, I did a recording just before I left, but had no time to post. No demo's from here, nor can I listen to your's now, so I have something to look forward to when I get home. Great to see this topic take off like this. Smile
synthmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Check out my Lunetta 40106 vco I posted in the main thread. You may want to use it for your clocks.
electri-fire

G2 patch files: 4

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I have some 4511 7-segment display drivers that I think should be nice random LED or R/2R drivers. While searching I found this by Phobos.

http://phobos.50webs.com/elektroweb/cosmicspacebeeper.html

It's a Rungler. ( this deserves a separate post. I'll do that later)
tjookum

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks for sharing that link thumb up
noise
droffset

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I haven't had the mental bandwidth to look at this thread and listen to the clips until now. Thanks for sharing these great ideas.

Edit: Spelling mistakes.
DGTom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I recorded some output of my latest havok wave generator, direct from the breadboard to the built in soundcard... its a little screechy, but I figured you guys might dig it Cool

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/252415/havok_waves.mp3

4046 clock with a 4069 VCO. Getting a wide, usefull range out of the 4046 is still abit of a pain, I borrowed (stole) some ideas from Thomas Henry & Rene Schmitz for the VC Clock & VCO section.

Instead of the VCF of the Benjolin I've been messing around with a voltage controlled digital delay with a switched capacitor filter in the feedback loop & modulating the VCO waveform from Ramp to Triangle to Saw.

The Rungler CV is modulating the delay time & the Rungler Bits (from the 4021) are used to control the feedback loop.

In the clip I start with the VCO at clicking speeds & then ramp it right up... I don't really adjust much except for the overall delay time & the feedback level... at the end I push the delay time right to the end of the chips range & it farts out Very Happy
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DGTom wrote:
I recorded some output of my latest havok wave generator, direct from the breadboard to the built in soundcard... its a little screechy, but I figured you guys might dig it Cool

Shocked 1950's sci-fi movie, straight away! Whoaaaaaaa! That is wild development so far! Well, done!
DGTom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Very Happy I really like the noise / grit the delay imparts on the high frequencies... my favourite parts of that one are the strange mettalic tones that plonk out now & then.

Another one, more low end this time;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/252415/havok_drone_.mp3

This time the rungler CV to the slow VCO is off, about 1 min in I turn the feedback from VCO1 (audio rate) into the CV in of VCO2 up so it gets a little quicker.

Lots of feedback & the delay line is modulating itself. I'm also sending the Rungler CV into the audio path which excites the DDL a little & you get those cool clicks.
HexInverter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

DGTom wrote:
Thanks Very Happy I really like the noise / grit the delay imparts on the high frequencies... my favourite parts of that one are the strange mettalic tones that plonk out now & then.

Another one, more low end this time;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/252415/havok_drone_.mp3

This time the rungler CV to the slow VCO is off, about 1 min in I turn the feedback from VCO1 (audio rate) into the CV in of VCO2 up so it gets a little quicker.

Lots of feedback & the delay line is modulating itself. I'm also sending the Rungler CV into the audio path which excites the DDL a little & you get those cool clicks.

Amaaaazing! Shocked
tjookum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

really cool sounds DGTom, been following this with great interest.

Keep up the good work!

noise
Draal

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Love the sounds! Images of being captured in an alien spacecraft come to mind. Outer Limits man! Very Happy
DGTom

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks guys!!
I got frustrated trying to get a decent triangle wave & frequency range out of the 4046... so at 1am I took everything off the breadboard & started over!

Much happier with the results, a little tweaking of the feedback / filter section is needed, but...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/252415/Predator_Drone_Pt_2.mp3

as you can hear... it goes from standard PWM type buzzing to OTT feedback mayhem just by turning the feedback / damping pot. You can turn the feedback all the way off for the pure PWM sound or turn the VCOs freq all the way down & have pure waves of feedback noise being controlled by the Rungler. The little "coda" (quick fade to silence & back up for a moment, then silence) at the end is essentially the same pot movement as the first change at the start, great fun!!
DGTom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

last one... now with a filter built around a third 4069 & a pair of vactrols;

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/252415/4069_Rungler.mp3

I think I'll build a monosynth using just 4069s & call it the SH-4069 Laughing
Dogenigt

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, how's it going with this project?
I am building a semi-modular CMOS synth and want to include a rungler-ish circuit in it.

I thought of having the CLK as an input from anywhere on the synth (40106 oscs, 4040 dividers, 4093/4070 gates, 4046 PLLs and 4049 squared signals)

and then have the data from a triangle wave on 4046 and the R2R/4021 output feed back into the 4046. should just be a simple pseudo-random clock source for patching further around into the other logic ICs.

still a little in doubt about how I should approach this but I think I will hi-jack this thread and post updates on my progress. the main puzzling thing for me atm is how the OP-amp/XOR gates gets integrated into this whole mess...

just got my 4021, 4046, 4049, 4070, 4093, 40106, 4040 shipment home.

Dogenigt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I got into building a module based of the 4046-4021 schematic on the first page and I am getting some interesting rungling here! Very Happy

4046-4021-Rungler_02_bassy_largecap.MP3
 Description:
Large caps = bassy patterns

Download
 Filename:  4046-4021-Rungler_02_bassy_largecap.MP3
 Filesize:  1.37 MB
 Downloaded:  149 Time(s)

4046-4021-Rungler_03_Morsey.WAV
 Description:
smaller caps = R2D2 getting a blowjob-ish sounds

Download
 Filename:  4046-4021-Rungler_03_Morsey.WAV
 Filesize:  27.6 MB
 Downloaded:  122 Time(s)

RingMad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Some pretty cool sounds in there, Dogenigt! I'll put this circuit on my long list of circuits-to-try-one-day....

James.
Page 2 of 2 [46 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Lunettas - circuits inspired by Stanley Lunetta
Jump to: