electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
SK-1 auto power off question
Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
1964Kyle

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: SK-1 auto power off question Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,
I read that one person on here was able to defeat the dreaded auto-power off on the Casio SK-1 with a simple 555 circuit.
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-266638.html
I went to the store to buy the parts, however the clerk told me that I needed the specific voltage relay in order for it to work. Does anyone know what this voltage would be?
thanks,
Kyle
umschmitt

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey, ho ! Welcome ! Perhaps this other simpler solution would work on your unit ?
http://www.electri-fire.com/sk1autopoweroff.htm
(there seems to be different generations of processors on SK-1's, it'd work on some, not on others)

1964Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey, I tried it. however, it didn't work. I just got the voltage from Maxime, & will try that soon.
umschmitt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

OK then. Err by the way, why use a relay ? I used optocouplers to electrically simulate the press of a switch on mine, and Top Top used 4066's (I even suspect a transistor would make it)… I must be missing something.
1964Kyle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm not sure really. That was the only success story I've heard from this mod (besides the jumper one which didn't work for me). And, this circuit seems pretty simple with a 5V relay. What would you recommend?

lm555basics_572.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.61 KB
 Viewed:  16070 Time(s)

lm555basics_572.gif

umschmitt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

1964Kyle wrote:
I'm not sure really. That was the only success story I've heard from this mod (besides the jumper one which didn't work for me). And, this circuit seems pretty simple with a 5V relay. What would you recommend?

I don't know ! I was just hoping someone would give me an explanation ! Anybody around ?

corex

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This is an interesting approach, but for my SK-1 I used a simpler method. You can just cut a trace and add a jumper to defeat the automatic shut-off, but when I did that I noticed that I also lost the ability to power off with the front switch, so I added another switch to physically disconnect power and provide a real "OFF".

The disadvantage of this approach is that you need to have both the real physical switch off and also the SK-1's original switch off, then turn on the real switch, then turn on the original switch. Powering on the physical power switch while the original switch is still in the on position causes some initialization failure or something and it doesn't make noise. So there's an order to the switches. An advantage of this approach is that it's easy to remove power and recover from circuit bending crashes, and obviously it never powers off by itself.
1964Kyle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hm... that seems like it would work for me. would you mind elaborating which trace to cut and where to put the jumper? Also, where do I add the switch in the circuit?
thank you,
Kyle
corex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah, sure -- I got the info from electri-fire's site:
http://www.electri-fire.com/sk1autopoweroff.htm
1964Kyle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Oh, yea I already mentioned I tried this but after 6 min it remained on but there was no sounds. It may be cause I have a concertmate version.
Kyle
umschmitt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ha, that's interesting ! So you think the different chips correspond to the actual brands (Casio vs. Realistic) ? I always thought Radio Shack put their own logo on regular instruments…
(might not be worth for me to try the APO disable thing, then)

corex

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I missed that earlier post about electri-fire's hack. Bummer it won't work for you.
1964Kyle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hey guys,
does this seem to be the right way to hook up the relay to the circuit? Also, where would I get the input power from? would it be the main dc in jack?
thanks,

lm555basics_572.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.62 KB
 Viewed:  15725 Time(s)

lm555basics_572.jpg

lm555basics_572.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  71.62 KB
 Viewed:  15726 Time(s)

lm555basics_572.jpg

RotomotioN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Note: some Radio Shack (as you call it, stores were named Tandy here) products were from other companies, but were definately different. Who remembers the Realistic synth made by Moog? It was never sold under the Moog brandname.

BTW: will this shutdown bypass work on my SK 5 as well?
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Totally off topic:

Tandy used to be a leathercraft store, and in fact, in my part of the world (central USA) I never associated the two until the 80's.

I was going to give a long speil about how the two were separate, except I see that Tandy bought Radio Shack in 1962, so the relationship existed much longer than was obvious Smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RadioShack#The_first_40_years
RotomotioN

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very offtopic, indeed! I was wondering 'bout my SK5 though...
DATMC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:08 am    Post subject: casio MT power off
Subject description: how to get rid of the auto power off in casio MT
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

does anyone know if the casio SK power off function works the same for the casio MT? I have a casio MT-52 and MT-35 and these also have this power off function which is not suitable for live situations.

lately i have successfully disabled the "battery alarm bell" in a bontempi drum pad (1992), by disconnecting pin 10 of the chip (see picture). BTW.

now i want to get rid of the auto shut off for casio mt, when i see the previous posts is this not a chip issue?

Image0281.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  286.78 KB
 Viewed:  230 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Image0281.jpg

Page 1 of 1 [17 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Circuit Bending
Jump to: