electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
ElectroNotes 129 TZVCO PCB Layout
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 4 [77 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
v-un-v
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 11
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I should add, it would be great if Oakley sound also sold Ian's kits, here in the UK. But that's between Mr Fritz and Mr Oakley Very Happy
IST NICHT FÜR GEWERKEN BEI DUMMKOPFEN. DER RUBBERNECKEN SIGHTSEEREN KEEPEN DAS COTTONPICKEN HÄNDER IN DAS POCKETS MUSS.
ZO RELAXEN UND WATSCHEN DER BLINKENLICHTEN.
andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:

Some people had a problem with Elby, as they also had with Doepfer, but I don't know if that has been cleared up by now?

this thread
Rykhaard

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

andrewF wrote:
v-un-v wrote:

Some people had a problem with Elby, as they also had with Doepfer, but I don't know if that has been cleared up by now?

this thread

Wow. TY for posting the link to that thread. That were quite the drag (bummer /etc.) to read, especially for Thomas. Sad
Luka

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ah ok
fair enough

http://www.last.fm/user/prblmchild
2thick4uni

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for the info, a sad tale indeed.
2thick4uni

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

v-un-v wrote:
I should add, it would be great if Oakley sound also sold Ian's kits, here in the UK. But that's between Mr Fritz and Mr Oakley Very Happy

+1 to that.
Sebo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi:
I recently finished building the TZ VCO. Thank you Forbin for the PCB layout!!!

I did a really nice MOD to it. I posted the details at this post:
http://electro-music.com/forum/post-369187.html#369187

https://www.facebook.com/cosaquitos/
ryktnk

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: E129 Through Zero VCO HELP ! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello

I hope somebody can help.

I have built this wonderful VCO 3 times [2 x breadboard, 1 x PCB]

But I always get some problems with instability when I
use a modulation freq obout 1khz and above, with a lower carrier VCO freq.

Seems to get really unstable and produces some
unpleasant and unpredictable glitches.

With modulation freq below 1khz it is great.

Anybody have any ideas what could be causng the problem ?

Cheers
-ryk
Sebo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi, mine works well, I didn't experiment what you say, but in mine, when the modulation freq is higher than the carrier freq, the modulation index decreases, I'm no sure if that correct.
Also I feel that the modulation index in general isn't as high as I was expecting (compared to other VCOs I have), but I think that's could be a low output of the VCA, I have to check.

ryktnk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hello

Thanks Sebo.

I have the modulation cranked up high.
It is ok at very low modulation, but of course
that is before "through zero" so not so much fun !

-ryk
vladosh

Audio files: 46

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Forbin for sharing this layout ,wonderful VCO cheers
forbin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank Bernie for designing it!
vladosh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

True ..and also that he made it public available ,as many other designs i've seen from electronotes ,that newsletter must be a treasure i got only the ones that are made public ,too bad the more recent issues are mostly about digital ,still tuning mine ,it goes easily bellow audio too ,maybe i'll post some samples of it ,next to make the thru zero from Jan Hall ,looks very different Shocked
forbin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes the Jan Hall one looks interesting -- the 8038's have put me off a bit, they aren't the easiest to get hold of and the Thomas Henry 8038 VCO I made is a bit lumpy...

I actually have a SPICE model for a different again sort of TZVCO/Phase modulation VCO -- i have yet to commit to a PCB at the moment as a bit busy with a couple of other projects but when I get some spare time....
vladosh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another thru zero VCO design would be great ,even just to see a fresh schematic ,i still think this design with high freq oscillators and multiplier might be really interesting to make ,it says partial schematic ,i don't know if that refers only to the expo converter since both oscillators are there or another expo vco should be driving them ,as i see it that expo vco before the vca is just a proposition on how to make it go thru zero , or maybe not .. ?
vladosh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here's some scope shots from this VCO ,and a sample with no heavy modulations ,just to color up the triangle a bit ,guess this doesn't count for a demo for this vco , it goes thru arp vcf ,but i think it's character can be heard ,if it's trimmed right or not .. i still like the way it sounds ,thanks to Bernie Hutchins for making the design available Very Happy

untitled.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  349.79 KB
 Viewed:  820 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

untitled.JPG

Scope .jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  284.39 KB
 Viewed:  810 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Scope .jpg

Tzero niz VCF.ogg
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Tzero niz VCF.ogg
 Filesize:  4.95 MB
 Downloaded:  1633 Time(s)

Sebo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Here is a demo of mine:

You can see (and hear) my mod for the Thru-Zero control.

Cheers.

vladosh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i heard it on this video few times before making ,it sounds just like that ,saw that you did some mod for it Sebo ,for me was the big board enough of a challenge ,still i'm happy with it as it is ,just need to fiddle a bit with main freq pot and trimmer to adjust the range
Sebo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The mod let's you change the Thru-Zero withouth have to re-tune the VCO... just that Smile
airfrankenstein

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all,

I'm about to etch this pcb from the image file and want to verify that the size is indeed the following:

17.2 cm x 11.89 cm

(6.773 in x 4.68 in)

these are the measurements I get at 300 dpi in photoshop (seems huge).
Sebo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yes, you got the size right.
forbin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I always recommend printing to paper and sitting the components on the board to check before committing to the expensive press'n'peel and copper!

I did start on a Euro compliant layout for this board -- it is double sided and uses surface mount parts... not sure if there would be any interest or not? Would have to check with Bernie as well...
airfrankenstein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for your reply Forbin. In the meantime I adjusted it using an alpha layer with another layout I was sure of. I was just surprised by the measurements of the board, obviously not eurorackable (in any practical way at least).

Regarding your new layout in progress that uses surface mount components...
I honestly don't know if there's enough interest. I know of the following thru zero vco's on the market or announced as such : Rubicon, Teezer, Eowave Orage, Liivatera, Doepfer QVCO...
As far as diy projects go I know only of this one and Rene Schmitt's layout, that said I haven't found much documentation or demos of the latter.
It might just be easier to find a way to cut the current 129 PCB in half...
soundworker

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Forbin,
did you finished your smaler pcb for TZ VCO?
Just build the TZ VCO with your layout, it works from the beginning.
Thanks for this nice desing.
I cut original size to 160x100mm and loos a few solder points that´s all.
Gingoism

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just breadboarded EN129 but with some tweaks like adapting it for +/-12V etc. my question did any of you experience crosstalk with the modulation vca circuit?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 4 [77 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: