electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Articles  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links  |  Store
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
SN Voice Lux finally finished!
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
mubase

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: SN Voice Lux finally finished!
Subject description: Nice standalone SN voice with 8 step sequencer and SSm filter.
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi all! I have finally finished my SN Voice standalone module project. dancing
1 SN voice PCB courtsey of Bill from SMS. 1 baby 8 seqencer and 1 Fonik designs SSM low pass filter. All in a lovely copper painted box with decal transfer indicators. The wiring has taken me 3 weeks on and off to get right ( the box it is all contained in is only 25 x 16 x 7 cm...
It is fully patchable via banana jacks with some extra outputs ( filter, pulse/noise output, triangle output) and inputs ( Gate and 1V/oct) using 3.5mm mono jacks. The sequencer has a CV output for the sequence as well as the clock output from the 555 and pulse outputs for each step of the sequence which can range from 2-8 steps. I cant believe the sound output of the SN voice. Very nice especially with the PWM being modulated by LFO or ENV options. The SSM filter I have tuned to my liking and it sounds nice.
I am currently looking into making a simple circuit to convert MIDI information to gate and CV signals and have had some success using arduino duemilanove and Narbotics MIDIVOX schematic ( i missed out on getting a MIDIVOX kit before they ran out) but I have had some luck by breadboarding the basic opto isolator and 4192 DAC circuit and using an M audio midi keyboard ( a little out of tune but I will remedy that when the circuit is stable ). If you connect the sequencer output to the SN voices' EXP FM input and play a key on the keyboard it ARPEGGIATES!!! The sketch is a little unsteady though...
On its own though, some beautiful sound combinations can be made from experimenting with this little beastie.....My partner and I have spent hours with it but still haven't recorded anything.....
Some blurry pictures below of my "SN Voice Lux"...
Respect to Magic smoke and Bill for all help with this.
Some sounds and a video demonstration are on the way ( just very tied up with Uni work at the moment.....)
p.s ( sorry, the pictures came out sideways, just tilt your head for a "real" effect. Smile

ssmfilt.jpg
 Description:
SSM filter section of SNLUX
 Filesize:  369.02 KB
 Viewed:  106 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ssmfilt.jpg

sncontrols.jpg
 Description:
SN voice pots
 Filesize:  382.57 KB
 Viewed:  124 Time(s)

sncontrols.jpg

snpatch.jpg
 Description:
Patchbay section
 Filesize:  408.37 KB
 Viewed:  102 Time(s)

snpatch.jpg

sn_seq.jpg
 Description:
Sequencer
 Filesize:  391.09 KB
 Viewed:  97 Time(s)

sn_seq.jpg

snlux.jpg
 Description:
SN Voice Lux....
 Filesize:  360.65 KB
 Viewed:  124 Time(s)

snlux.jpg

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just saw this... looks great, now i want to hear it!
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey nice, great work and happy to provide the board for your project. Cool Glad this project has come to fruition for you. I am eager to see the video demonstrations.

Using the AVR MCU based Arduino development platform and pressing it into service for your MIDI to CV's and GATE's is a very good choice!

I have always been impressed by the richness of the bass sounds produced by the SN Voice. The expo converter is rather accurate with the first 3 or 4 octaves being the best so this SNV makes the perfect bass synthesizer and perfect mate to the SSM based LPF.

Happy building !!!
Bill
Tim Servo

Audio files: 11

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: SN Voice Lux finally finished! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for mentioning Magic Smoke, but I have to admit that I don't have anything to do with the SN Voice! Bill does those very excellent boards, and deserves full credit. Smile

Tim (credit check) Servo
State Machine
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 24

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Kind words by Tim (always a gentleman) Servo Very Happy

I believe the TEMCO's are from MSE Wink

Bill
Paradigm X

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow. Im thinking of doing almost the exact same thing!

See my post in the main SNVoice PCB sticky if interested.

Glad i came across this!

Cheers, Ben
mubase

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: RE: Paradigm's message (04/03/201203). Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Paradigm. Nice to hear you want to build one of these excellent synth machines. I was lucky with the boxes. They were originally old COCO commotion serial boxes. (old microcontroller educational stuff.)
A guy on ebay had about 8 so we grabbed 5 off him. I'm thinking of using the other one for Ray Winstons' DIY experimenter board. All those banana sockets Smile Lovely lovely!
I have made some video fottage of demonstrating it but I was happy with the result so I'll make another one when I've figured out my problem with the LFO (its stopped working and the SN voice is openen up. Not a pretty sight inside. So many wires for the SN, the Fonkik ssm2044, the baby8 and the power supply board & transformer. All in a 10"x7"x2.5" case!!!

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Thomas Henry designs
Jump to: