electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
About to start building modular
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
pm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: About to start building modular
Subject description: part subs
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi,
I'm about to start building your modular. I have a few questions:
1.Can I use (BC550C, MPSA18) instead of BC547C?
2.What parametar-s do I have to match transistors for?
3.What parametar do I have to match 1N4148 for?
4.Is BF245A OK for the random module?
5.Do I need to change R15 to 100k for the VCO if mat02 is used?
6.Any subs for 2SC1583 in the VCA modul?

Thank you
elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Transistor matching: http://home.comcast.net/~ijfritz/projects/transmat001.pdf
wmonk

Audio files: 15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Most substitutes are due to matched transistors. 2SC1583 and MAT02 are examples. Hand matched transistors will work equally well. Nowadays transistors from the same batch are already pretty close together. Smile
You can use BC550 instead of BC547, I do it all the time. (Same with BC560 for BC557 for the PNP variants).

You need to match the transistors for equal Vbe (base emitter voltage). The document elmegil linked explains it well. It costs a bit of time, but it's way cheaper then buying MAT02.

For the 1N4148 diodes, match em on equal diode drop. This will be around 0.6V, and you can easily do that with a multimeter. The exact value doesn't matter, as long as they're close enough to each other, for instance within 1mV.

BF245A is okay in the random module.

analog_backlash

Audio files: 21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I liked Ray Wilson's article/projects on transistor matching:

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth_new/TRANSISTORMATCHER/TRANSISTORMATCHER.html

The only trouble is, I don't have the kind of money that his test equipment costs (e.g. a BK Precision 5491A 50,000 count bench meter) so I was a bit more limited in my matching accuracy than Ray...

Gary

P.S. Am I the only person having problems with the latest MFOS site? I keep getting those "could not find and/or connect" type message, since his last update of the site. I've tried using Internet Explorer and Google Chrome as my browser and I get the same result. Is it just me?
capicoso

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

analog_backlash wrote:
I liked Ray Wilson's article/projects on transistor matching:

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth_new/TRANSISTORMATCHER/TRANSISTORMATCHER.html

The only trouble is, I don't have the kind of money that his test equipment costs (e.g. a BK Precision 5491A 50,000 count bench meter) so I was a bit more limited in my matching accuracy than Ray...

Gary

P.S. Am I the only person having problems with the latest MFOS site? I keep getting those "could not find and/or connect" type message, since his last update of the site. I've tried using Internet Explorer and Google Chrome as my browser and I get the same result. Is it just me?

I'm fine running chromium, iron or firefox on linux
pm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you very much.

What do you guys do for a DIY midi to CV?

I've built a lot of studio equipment (pres, compressors, eqs) but I'm not very much at home in the SDIY world.

Cheers
elmegil

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I posted a bunch of what I did here:

http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-52722.html

I'll be happy to help also even if you do something different.

Depending on whether that was quite how "DIY" you wanted to get, you might also consider the forthcoming (though not clear when) ACXSynth MIDI2CV module mentioned here: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/topic-75544.html&highlight=
capicoso

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pm wrote:
Thank you very much.

What do you guys do for a DIY midi to CV?

I've built a lot of studio equipment (pres, compressors, eqs) but I'm not very much at home in the SDIY world.

Cheers

I made this one. http://m.bareille.free.fr/mcv628/mcv628.html
Easy, simple, stable...
Just 1 pitch CV and AUXCV for velocity or any midi message, 1 gate out... midi learn...
Pcb size is about 5x6cm. Uses 083x DACs. I couldn't find the REF01 so i had to replace it with a 431 and a trim pot to get a stable 10v ref.
The only thing(with most midi2cvs) is that you have to program the pic with the midi2cv code. Some electronic stores may do it for you
pm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks, but my programing skills are zero Smile I'll just buy Doepfer Dark Link, I think it'll do for now.
Cheers
capicoso

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pm wrote:
Thanks, but my programing skills are zero Smile I'll just buy Doepfer Dark Link, I think it'll do for now.
Cheers

Ok, but maybe you misunderstood me. You don't have to program it... with program i wanted to say burn. Burn the program(HEX file) to the pic. The creator of the midi2cv already programmed it, so you have to download that HEX file and copy it to the pic
pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That changes things a bit than.
MIDI to CV-Gate interface MCV876, from Paparail looks even better.
sebsongs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pm wrote:

I've purchased the MIDIMPLANT from a company in poland.
It has not been delivered yet but it seems really sweet.

http://www.midi-hardware.com/forums.html?section=prod_info&product=MIDimplant

I'll probably get it this week so I can let you know what I think then.

Sebastian
pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, I'm looking forward.
capicoso

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pm wrote:

Yes, that one is very good. I'd have build it, but i like etching my own boards(i'd be happy buying a board from him and helping, but i can't)...
this is another good one http://www.acxsynth.com/midi2cv/midi2cvfr.htm
elmegil

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hexinverter is planning to sell a PCB for a new/current version of the ACXSynth MIDI2CV, currently waiting on prototyping to finish.
sebsongs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

pm wrote:
Thank you, I'm looking forward.

I've tested the MIDIMPLANT now and it works perfectly.
It tracks within 0.5 cent over 5V.
I learned by using this product that the yusynth VCO also tracks really well over a 5V octave scale. I built the BC547 version.

So I can only recommend the MIDIMPLANT!
Totally worth the money!
Page 1 of 1 [16 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » YuSynth
Jump to: