electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
go to the radio page Live at electro-music.com radio 1 Please visit the chat
poster
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
I have the same problem others have: "Lost contact"
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
jackson111

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: I have the same problem others have: "Lost contact" Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I am using a midisport 2x2. I can't figure it out, even by reading other posts. It is the port going from the midisport out to the nord's PC in that loses contact. It is definitelt not the cables and the midisport does let me place patches from the computer into slots on the nord. If you can help I would really appreciate it !
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It is not that dreaded switch I hope?

The thru switch I mean ...

jackson111

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

WOW thanks for your quick reply Smile
No it's not the thru switch,
when I try to download a bank it starts then says "Lost contact. Open the Midi dialogue and enable the port again." and this happens over and over again...
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 277
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hmm .. too bad .. that switch bit me many times Wink

Don't know really then ... and gave the 2x2 away a while ago (using roland UM-3EX now) ... but have seen some odd stuff recently on serial ports with anti virus software .. I'd try to disable the real time protection for a test.

jackson111

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

so.. uploading from the nord to the computer works fine, it's just the download to the nord that doesn't work. Sad if anyone can help me that would be great!!!
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Hmm .. too bad .. that switch bit me many times Wink

Don't know really then ... and gave the 2x2 away a while ago (using roland UM-3EX now) ... but have seen some odd stuff recently on serial ports with anti virus software .. I'd try to disable the real time protection for a test.

Which OS? XP?

We have an issue at work where our test software has "communication problems" because of the XP firewall. There is a specific place in Ctrl Panel where we have to go tell the firewall not to touch the NIC used by our test software. This NIC is on a dedicated network for the test hardware, and has no connection to the NIC used on the company network.

Having used XP since it was first distributed, I was quite surprised when I found out about this setting.

Perhaps there is a similar issue with your midi port and A/V??

solenoid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: CABLE LENGTH is the issue... painful direct experience...
Subject description: midiman 2x2 and NM1 requires short midi cables for reliable connection
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

MIDIMAN 2x2 and MIDISPORT 2x2 midi adaptors that are powered off the USB port will have occasional, inexplicable "Lost Contact" with the pc for the following reason:

CABLE LENGTH ! Use usb and midi cables under 1 meter each when using the midiman 2x2!

I just signed on to electro-music today after reading this description, because while I'd browsed for patches and interesting discussions on this forum for years, there seemed to be nothing I really had to contribute until reading this.

I fought this issue with a midiman 2x2 (I also have the midisport 2x2) for YEARS. I had the problem for many many hours of preparing for sets/gigs and designing patches on both a micromod and a NM1 rack, until one day, 3 years into the problem, I noticed I'd not had it for a week straight. I looked carefully at my system and remembered that I happened to for whatever reason use my SHORTEST midi cables and SHORTEST usb cable. I made a point of keeping those cables dedicated to the midiman+Nord combo. After 6 months I decided to swap out the cables for long cables (new ones!) again and the problem RETURNED. I followed up this test by using my Midisport 2x2 under the same conditions and it was the same: midi cables (particularly) over 3 feet with the midiman 2x2 or midisport 2x2 would have this problem. I was mostly using USB 1.1 ports, but occasionally a USB 2.0 port... though I expect at least one of those 2x2's is actually only USB 1.1 capable.

For whatever reason, the power draw must attenuate enough for longer cables (my short usb and midi cables were each just under 3 feet/1meter) such that an occasional loss of connection occurs.

BTW, this is without ever having more than a single Nord plugged into the 2x2.. so I wasn't using the other 2 midi ports on the midiman or any other factors (didn't matter if the Nord had anything else plugged into it either).

I still use the micromod, NM1 rack, and for the last 2 years, the G2 engine, and I've not had a single problem syncing the Nords in the 5 years since figuring out that midiman issue (I even still today use the 2x2 for the earlier nords!)

Solenoid
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CABLE LENGTH is the issue... painful direct experience...
Subject description: midiman 2x2 and NM1 requires short midi cables for reliable connection
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Solenoid
Quote:

using USB 1.1 ports, but occasionally a USB 2.0 port... though I expect at least one of those 2x2's is actually only USB 1.1 capable.
Solenoid

I would be surprized if it is only 1.1 capable.
That standard is so old.

secretkillerofnames

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just picked up a Micro Modular and am having the same problem.

OSX 10.6.8 Snow Leopard

I get "Version Corrupted" errors if I try and use my MOTU ultralite.
Using this cheap USB to MIDI cable I get the constant "Lost Connection"
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4934

Trying it out in Bootcamp / Windows 7 the editor software locks up using the MOTU and with the USB to MIDI cable it is "Still Looking" endlessly.

EDIT:

Getting a ROLAND UM-ONE MK2 allows me to connect from the Clavia editor with no problems in both Bootcamp/Win7 and OSX Snow Leopard. I still get the timeout error [-1001] with Nomad however.

chrs
][oyd
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » NM Classic (NM1 or G1)
Jump to: